SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Random Thought on a bored Sunday - Calculating Probability
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random Thought on a bored Sunday - Calculating Probability Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Channeling my inner Bendable here...

Lets say you have a 6 digit number.

How does one calculate the probability that any number will repeat in that 6 digit number, ie "1233.45" vs. "1234.56"

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it as simple as 1/10 chance? Every digit has an equal chance of repeating.

Similar to the pick 4 lottery. The number 8 has the same chance every time the set of numbers is drawn.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Each number has a 1 in 10 probability so for two in a row it's 1 in 100.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23215 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Each number has a 1 in 10 probability so for two in a row it's 1 in 100.

Yep

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Depends on how well you factor decimalization and define each term.

If the same number is factored in as a placeholder, it can't.

If the same digit is factored, it would be one in 10.

The odds of 100 would only apply if the prespecified number was factored

The definition of digit and number is not interchangeable.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a special set of 6-sided dice that always come up 3,4. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
The odds of 100 would only apply if the prespecified number was factored

Yes.
Once a number has been selected by whatever means, the probability of the next number being the same is 1/10—just as it would be if no number had been selected before.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I would look at it this way

The prob that the second number is not the same as the first is .9

prob third is not same as second is .9

prob fourth is not same as third is .9

prob fifth is not same as fourth is .9

prob sixth is not same as fifth is .9

So the prob that no two consecutive numbers of the group of 6 are the same is .9^5 = .59

then the prob that there is at least one repeating pair is .41

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Better yet, what are the odds of 2 people having the same birthday in a random group of 23 people?

Of 30 people?

Of 70 people?

Disregard Leap Year, for simplicity use 365 days per year.

(Same birthday defined as Month & Day, not Month Day and Year)

No Googling!

This is fun, a great conversation starter, and wins bets. IIRC Amarillo Slim won a lot of bets on this.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Benford's law:

"Benford’s Law, also known as the Law of First Digits or the Phenomenon of Significant Digits, is the finding that the first digits (or numerals to be exact) of the numbers found in series of records of the most varied sources do not display a uniform distribution, but rather are arranged in such a way that the digit “1” is the most frequent, followed by “2”, “3”, and so in a successively decreasing manner down to “9”."

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The odds are fifty-fifty. Either it will happen, or it will not happen. One or the other.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So then, If there are apples on a tree and none on the ground.

A strong gust of wind blows, then there are no apples on the tree and there are no apples on the ground.

Nothing has eaten or ran off with any apples. How is this possible?

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm no math or probability expert, but is the answer 1 in 6 factorial (1 in 720) ?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's Yatzy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43866 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
then the prob that there is at least one repeating pair is .41

You can easily prove it.

Go to Excel and use RAND to generate a slew of random numbers.

I generated 64 sets of 6 random digits (takes less than a minute)

38/64 = .594 had no repeating pair

26/64 = .406 had at least one repeating pair

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
So then, If there are apples on a tree and none on the ground.

A strong gust of wind blows, then there are no apples on the tree and there are no apples on the ground.

Nothing has eaten or ran off with any apples. How is this possible?

Easy -- this is a riddle in the singular and plural!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a Bayesian analysis problem, coming down to a yes/no probability of the next number, like saying yes/no for what the next digit will be. Each number would be a 10% probability, with a 90% probability that it won't be that number. Similar to determining the odds on coin flips or winning the lottery, maybe a bit more difficult with ten digits involved. The CIA uses this methodology for predictive analysis, except they get to do it on a Cray super computer instead of a legal pad.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post