SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation Login/Join 
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
As a mechanic I too taught my son how to change a tire, vhange his oil and do basic maintenance on his cars. It's very flattering and humbling when he thanks me for teaching him because HE is the one his friends call when they have a problem with their cars. I still carry him on TSM11 and my AAA policy. Mostly for issues that can't be resolved on the side of the road but also to avoid those 0200 morning calls to come rescue him.

I've also told him that sometimes (most times) it's safer to let AAA handle it. With all the distacted driving nowdays it's probably safer to let the wrecker driver change a flat.

I am ususally the guy with the aluminum "racing" jack, cordless impact and othe tools that stops to render aid. TSM11 and I did so most recently on Thanksgiving day. The gentleman we stopped for knew how to change the flat and had his own tools but the rim was rusted to the hub. Something that usually takes 5 minutes took 30+ minutes. WHile he and I worked on getting the rusted rim off of the car, TSM11 stood 25 yards away watching our backs for distracted drivers. This was on I75 around Riverview in central Florida.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
The ads are dumb, but at the same time I know people who know a ton about one thing (cars for that example) and nothing about another (framing a wall or setting up a retirement fund). Everyone has different knowledge and likes.

I do think it's worth knowing the basics (changing a tire on a car, replacing a fuse, ect) but even changing your own oil is going the way side. I can go to my mechanic, he does it in 10 minutes, and charges about 10 dollars more than I'd pay for supplies and saves me digging out ramps, and the time to do it myself. As for as more advance, like working on the engine or transmission, I admittedly know nothing about it. Never had an interest to learn. But ask me to run a mill or lathe or true an action and it's a mindless job to me. We all know a lot about a little and a little about a lot.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
If they continue to piss me off, they will also be experts on digging holes and then fill them back in. Big Grin

What... is your dirt... doing in Boss 1967Goat's hole?

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I share with people from time to time that the best boss I ever had was also the toughest and most unforgiving. And the one thing that always stuck with me about that guy was that he was always looking for people he described as being "perpetually curious" about virtually everything in the world around them. In his view, they needed to have an unending interest in learning in general. Taking that to heart, I can handle virtually any carpentry task, am a pretty good electrician and plumber, can build computers and install small to medium wired and wireless networks, can run a Bobcat or a backhoe, can handle most auto repair/maintenance tasks, can do complex financial planning/modeling/analysis, and can run (and do) large complex technology driven projects for a living. Yet with all of that, I still lament the things I 'can't' do, and would like to learn. Hopefully this spring will bring an opportunity to take that metal working and welding class I've wanted to take. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in a family garage/tire store, I knew how to change a tire from about the age of 7.

Now my sister, 5 years my senior, my dad never taught her how to change a tire. His lesson to her was, pull to the side, put on your 4 way flashers and drive at idle speed until either a cop arrives or you reach a plaza/service station. He never wanted a lone female, on the side of the highway, changing a tire. A rim and a tire are cheap to replace. (this was before cell phones)

In his mind, boy and girls were different. I tell my daughter the same thing.

BTW, cant tell you how many times i had to avoid getting run over while changing tires for customers on the side of the road.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The "next generation" is how they are, for better or worse, because of their parents.

If you taught your kids to be self-reliant, then you did your job, regardless of generation.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
ITT: OP has nothing good to say about his son and blows his own horn.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I share with people from time to time that the best boss I ever had was also the toughest and most unforgiving. And the one thing that always stuck with me about that guy was that he was always looking for people he described as being "perpetually curious" about virtually everything in the world around them. In his view, they needed to have an unending interest in learning in general. Taking that to heart, I can handle virtually any carpentry task, am a pretty good electrician and plumber, can build computers and install small to medium wired and wireless networks, can run a Bobcat or a backhoe, can handle most auto repair/maintenance tasks, can do complex financial planning/modeling/analysis, and can run (and do) large complex technology driven projects for a living. Yet with all of that, I still lament the things I 'can't' do, and would like to learn. Hopefully this spring will bring an opportunity to take that metal working and welding class I've wanted to take. Smile

Posts: 17161 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
They don’t call it the “me” generation for nothing.

They trashed the US, raised a generation of morons, squandered what the greatest generation had sacrificed for them...

And have the audacity to complain. Yup, broad brush here from a millennial.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
One of my friend's sons just turned 16 and is driving a hand me down from his grandfather. Told his dad that his brakes were making noise, and since I have a truck full of tools, told him I'd swing by and help him change them.

Son had told dad he knew how to change a tire, so dad told him to get the wheels off for us. Didn't know what a four way was.

"But Dad, there are only three of us here right now!!!"

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ll say this much. In the process of teaching my sons how to do things, there’s plenty of times where, had something gone south, society, in the form of CPS or police, would be right there to accuse me of wrongdoing. “Why did he have that chainsaw?” “Why was a 12yo on a Bobcat?” “Why was a 14yo operating a table saw??” “Why was a minor on the roof?”

There’s plenty of times where I’ve been concerned with what society would say about my parenting techniques, even perhaps providing me some bracelets for my efforts. Society puts huge emphasis on physical safety for our youth, but cares little for anything else, like maturity, spirituality, or basic life skills. You cannot just blame an inept generation on the parents. While parents do share some blame, parents who ARE trying face real headwinds from a society that is ever intrusive into the parenting process.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
When I was 16, driving to school, my car completely stuttered and lost all power. I rebuilt the carburetor on the side of the road and STILL made it to class on time.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
/Millennial/
"Duh, what's a carburetor?"
/millennial/

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
ITT: OP has nothing good to say about his son and blows his own horn.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Really? I love my son dearly and he's incredibly gifted when it comes to school/college. He's twice the student I ever was. If it would make you feel better, I can write a couple paragraphs here detailing all the things he 'is' good at. It pains me greatly to share that he's just not very capable when it comes to real world situations. It also pains me that its more my fault than his, because I couldn't find a way to convince him to come down off the mountain and learn some of the everyday tasks that make people's lives easier/better.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Don't millenials don't want to own cars or drive anyway?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My 16 yr old daughter is getting her license soon. She takes her test next week.

Let's see:
She's been shooting for years so that's covered.
She's been doing DT and some ground fighting, so that's covered.
She knows how to cook and take care of herself.
She went and got herself a job the day she turned 16.

Earlier this month I showed her how to change a tire, change her oil and showed her how to change her headlight.

What am I missing?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kid you not. I was putting gas in my truck and a 16 year old girl pulled in with a brand new BMW that her parents bought her, that didn't know how or where to put gas into the car once!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, a 16 year old is not a millennial - the youngest of which generation is nowadays is 18–19, and the oldest are 38.

That means damn near the entire US armed forces is millennials, and they made up the majority of our forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I would also posit that 16 year old girls have a higher preponderance of being immature morons in any generation. Big Grin

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Building engines at 15. Hauling lumber at 16. Mowing the grass in the 5th grade. Running a chain saw at 17. Welding at 14. All self taught. My father pointed at these things and said do it. No questions asked. Just do it. My grandsons can't change a flat tire or even mow the grass because their parents did not tell them to. I guess they thought it would damage their little psychics. But what happens when the chain comes off of the camode handle?

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The Liberty commercials with the two teen boys? standing on the road side wondering about what a wrench is literally makes my balls clinch. As a man, I find it repulsive, maybe a over reaction, but the way it is.
I wonder if the ad agency's ever run the commercials and ad campaigns through a actual focus group before they film and air the commercials and if they do, who the hell they pick to be in the focus group.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
I guess they thought it would damage their little psychics. But what happens when the chain comes off of the camode handle?

Duh, you like call, the like the plumber dude and pay him $150 to fix it. Like duh.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post