SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You know you have too much time when....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know you have too much time when.... Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
....you just spent 30 minutes trying to grok the entymology of the phrase "rustled my jimmies". Big Grin

I did learn that "jimmies" could have been named for some guy who worked at a company that made (among other things) ice cream sprinkles. Which makes other uses of "jimmies" (primarily related to male genitalia) make sense. Either definition also makes the phrase "rustled my jimmies" more logical....though I think I'd lean more towards the ice cream sprinkles being shaken in the box the root, as it's plural, and it's more of a "rustling".

Though, in the singular "that rustled my jimmy", the sprinkle origin still makes sense, as they are shaped similar. LOL

Slow day here, can you tell?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here you go: Big Grin

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/...y-rustled-my-jimmies

About
“That Really Rustled My Jimmies” is an expression that is used to convey feelings of discontent or discomfort in response to someone else’s post in imageboards and discussion forums, most notably on 4chan.

Origin
The phrase originates from FunnyJunk. On June 16th, 2010, an image macro of a frowning gorilla with the overlaid text “That really rustled my jimmies” was posted by an anonymous user who has currently deactivated his account.[23] On July 18th, 2012, the image had an overall score of over 100 with nearly 7000 views. The original photograph of the gorilla can be found in a Flickr post titled “nors”[7] uploaded by Frank Wouters on July 4th, 2007.

The phrase went relatively unnoticed until December 15th, 2010, when a thread was made on 4chan’s /r9k/ board about “times when someone really rustled your jimmies.”[1] It was told in the style of a normal greentext story on 4chan, except using the outdated language from the 1950s. The absurdity of the phrase “Rustled Jimmies” instantly led to a variety of responses to the OP, most notably the similar FunnyJunk image of the frowning gorilla.

Spread
Although remarked upon a couple times by others in the 4chan community, both the thread and the image of the gorilla went relatively unnoticed until later on when another user posted an image taken from the front of a box of Gorilla Munch cereal[2] with the overlaid text “My Jimmies Remain Unrustled.”

These two images came to define the idea of rustled and unrustled jimmies in later threads on 4chan’s /v/ (videogames) /x/ (paranormal) and /tv/ (television) board; the meme spread to other websites such as Newgrounds[6] and FunnyJunk, as well as on social networking sites like Tumblr[5] and Facebook[12].

On February 23, 2012, a thread was created on 4chan’s /v/ board called Jimmies General[11]. This thread was sticky-featured and lasted for over 650 posts before being archived. It is one of the largest threads dedicated to unrustling jimmies to date and it is the first jimmies thread to have been sticky-featured on 4chan. On February 24, 2012, the name of the /v/ board was changed from Video Games to ‘Jimmies.’

James Ferrario Standoff
On April 12th, 2012, Modesto, California resident James Ferrario shot dead a uniformed deputy police officer and a locksmith who had come to evict him from his house. He then barricaded himself inside, and caused a standoff with local law enforcement.[13] Shortly thereafter, a troll posted an AMA thread on 4chan’s /b/ board, claiming to be Ferrario.[14]

The news of the standoff was quickly picked up by Sacramento FOX affiliate KTXL Fox 40.[13] A reporter made the mistake of featuring the aforementioned /b/ thread, and claimed that Ferrario had a gorilla fetish (due to numerous Jimmies-related images being posted), saying that he called himself “Jimmy Russel” or “Jimmy Rustle.” Once /b/ got word of this, Jimmies jokes exploded over the thread, and spread across the site.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I did read that, but it seems to me that it explains only the use of the phrase in the meme.

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Holy hell, Allen.
You need a hobby, brother.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Something that rustles my jimmies. Big Grin Or doesn't.