SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pentagon orders review of Medals of Honor given for Wounded Knee Massacre
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentagon orders review of Medals of Honor given for Wounded Knee Massacre Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
So now we are doing this? SMDH

I know it's a dark stain on our history here but we can't go down this road or it will never end.

From Task & Purpose:

Pentagon orders review of Medals of Honor given for Wounded Knee Massacre

Posts: 34515 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So now we are doing this?

we can't go down this road or it will never end

There's already considerable precedence for this.

The US military has a history dating back over a century of reviewing and rescinding dubious early (pre-WW1) Medal of Honor awards, resulting in 911 19th century Medals of Honor being revoked after it was determined that they were awarded for conduct that didn't come close to meeting criteria, including frivolous awards for such things as merely re-enlisting during the Civil War.

The awarding of Medals of Honor was tightened considerably during WW1, to the point where the pre-WW1 "Medal of Honor" is considered to be such in name only, and not equivalent to the prestige of the modern award. And even after that, there were a few later Medal of Honor awards authorized to be given out that didn't fit the usual combat valor criteria either, such as one awarded to Charles Lindberg in 1927 for his transatlantic flight, and one given to Major General Greely in 1935 in recognition of his years of service.

Posts: 33035 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
They handed them out like candy after the Civil War.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8872 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rogue and Milliron, They awarded and rescinded the MoHs for the soldiers that accompanied President Lincolns body amongst other rescindings. It's entirely possible that the medal where not awarded IAW the standards. I'm not opposed to a review.

However,given the timing and current political and cultural climate, certainly can make one wonder if this is a move similar to the renaming of the Forts.

Posts: 4754 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
While I understand the concern to uphold standards, what troubles me equally are those forgotten heroes of 20th century wars, especially Vietnam and Korea where the destruction of an entire unit left no one was left alive to witness and report qualifying acts of valor and heroism.

Posts: 224 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
"The medals weren't awarded in accordance with today's standards" isn't the same as "the medals weren't awarded in accordance with the standards in effect when awarded" are two different things.

If it's the latter, then OK, I guess. If the former, then... why? Because it's important to signal virtue a literal century after most of these soldiers died?

Posts: 2521 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Review should be done in accordance with the standards at the time the medals were awarded. We are intelligent enough to understand that today's sensibilities and criteria are not the same as from 100 or 150 yrs ago.

Posts: 9722 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
While I understand the concern to uphold standards, what troubles me equally are those forgotten heroes of 20th century wars, especially Vietnam and Korea where the destruction of an entire unit left no one was left alive to witness and report qualifying acts of valor and heroism.

My neighbor was Captain Edward Stamford and he fought at Chosin, including doing Forward Air Controller work.There is a book and movie about his actions where he, and a small group, saved a US Task Force that was bogged down.

His efforts were recognized in the field by the Commander of the Marine Air Wing, The US Army agreed his actions merited the MOH and the adjunct general for the Army wrote it up however the Dept of the Navy stalled the application and in the end, he instead received the Silver Star. According to others, the reason is that the military traditionally only awards a single MOH during a battle and someone else in the group with Stamford received it.

If you knew Mr. Stamford he really wouldn't have wanted the recognition. He was very humble and didn't talk about it much. It was a privilege to know him before he passed away He was just Mr. Stamford the neighbor, unless you knew the story.

If the military is going to go back and rescind MOHs, they should also award some too, where merited.

Edward Stamford

Posts: 4247 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:

Agree 100%. This should not be a quota system to placate another service.

My neighbor was Captain Edward Stamford and he fought at Chosin, including doing Forward Air Controller work.There is a book and movie about his actions where he, and a small group, saved a US Task Force that was bogged down.

His efforts were recognized in the field by the Commander of the Marine Air Wing, The US Army agreed his actions merited the MOH and the adjunct general for the Army wrote it up however the Dept of the Navy stalled the application and in the end, he instead received the Silver Star. According to others, the reason is that the military traditionally only awards a single MOH during a battle and someone else in the group with Stamford received it.

If you knew Mr. Stamford he really wouldn't have wanted the recognition. He was very humble and didn't talk about it much. It was a privilege to know him before he passed away He was just Mr. Stamford the neighbor, unless you knew the story.

If the military is going to go back and rescind MOHs, they should also award some too, where merited.

Edward Stamford

Posts: 224 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Nothing but Monday morning quarterbacking imo. Leave history alone, what's done is done.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that link to Edward Stamford, uvahawk.

What an incredible story.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Don’t they have anything important to do? This is proof that the Pentagon needs to experience mass firings. They need smart people at the helm, not woke faggots and stupid assholes obsessed with looking backwards rather than forward. Roll Eyes

What fucking idiot thought this was necessary?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to read the article to figure out what's really going on.

quote:
The review, announced on July 24, calls for a special review panel to determine if some of the awards were wrongly given and should be rescinded. They are instructed to go through each soldier’s individual actions, “to ensure no awardees were recognized for conduct inconsistent with the nation’s highest military honor.” It’s a move by the Department of Defense that comes after years of urging by Native American groups and some lawmakers.

Posts: 6709 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
"The medals weren't awarded in accordance with today's standards" isn't the same as "the medals weren't awarded in accordance with the standards in effect when awarded" are two different things.

If it's the latter, then OK, I guess. If the former, then... why? Because it's important to signal virtue a literal century after most of these soldiers died?

Agree highly with the first paragraph. Understand in the 19th and early 20th century, the military didn’t have the various tiers of award options to use. From 1860-1900 it was a MOH or nothing. Many. MOH awards in the civil war were related to retaining your colors or capturing the enemies colors, not nearly the same as the criteria
Used today. Not to disparage the heroism of past generations but today we have distinguished service crosses, silver stars and bronze stars to recognize “lesser” acts of bravery not worthy of the MOH - these awards didn’t exist prior to WWII I believe.

Posts: 3373 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

...However,given the timing and current political and cultural climate, certainly can make one wonder if this is a move similar to the renaming of the Forts.

I predict many future articles like this if the Demokrats remain in power:

Patton Monument Removed from West Point

(AP) A statue of Gen George S Patton has been taken down at the US Military Academy as directed by SecDef Lloyd Austin. A West Point spokesman said “Gen Patton is no longer considered an American warrior, as he had no female or LBGTQ officers on his staff...”

It’s not from the Babylon Bee, I made it up.

Posts: 16002 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
The Medal of Honor wasn't always what it is now

MOH was established in 1861. If you got a medal for heroism, that was it.

Navy Cross established 1919

Silver Star established 1942

Bronze Star established1944

I think most of us recognize that the above is in hierarchy format. Once upon a time if you got a medal it was the medal of honor, our thinking now is much different, though all are worthy, it is my opinion that they may overlap some. One warrior gets a silver star and another gets a bronze star for actions essentially equal but different time, places, CO's or opinions.
I don't know what the PTB are thinking but the standard for a medal at Wounded Knee was different than in Falluja.

Posts: 6500 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
This reminds of what the communist Russians did for decades: rewrite history to conform to whatever Party doctrine was at the time. The Democratic Party and the progressive movement are not far removed from the Bolsheviks.