SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there an American made fridge with pellet ice maker??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an American made fridge with pellet ice maker?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Looking for a French door refrigerator. Want one made in the USA and one that makes the pellet ice.

Is this even a possibility? Not having any luck browsing online.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of Whirlpool/maytag/amana/kitchenaids are made in U.S.... I have a whirlpool french door with dual icemakers (I use a lot of ice). The door one will crush ice. I don't know off hand of any refridgerators that make pellet ice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A separate, dedicated, ice machine (trash compactor sized or there about) is likely the best option.

The ones built-in to Freezers are a joke for any serious daily use, in my experience. They never last or keep up.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Black,

My guess is that pellet ice is much more difficult to keep as pellets. That is why you see it in places where they provide fountain drinks and can keep the ice in continuous process.

If you have a bunch of pellet ice in a bin ready to dispense, it will mold together into (at best) chunks.

A commercial product (separate from the fridge), I have seen, but there is a lot of waste. As I understand, they essentially make little cubes but press them through a die continuously to produce the end product.

I am not an expert and did not sleep last night (holiday inn or not)

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
You can buy it by the 10lb bag at Sonic Drive-In.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
A separate, dedicated, ice machine (trash compactor sized or there about) is likely the best option.

The ones built-in to Freezers are a joke for any serious daily use, in my experience. They never last or keep up.

My ice maker on my Amana was awesome. It lasted longer than the refrigerator without any issues.
My parents have a separate ice maker in their bar and it has lasted for 30 years. No issues there either.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

That does not quite help me in my kitchen.

————————————————

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

It might when you realize you can't find a refrigerator that makes it Razz

A good friend's wife insist on having pellet ice on hand. He simply stocks it in the 10lb bags and refills the ice bin as needed. It's an option, perhaps the only economical one.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local sonic sells pellet ice.

Posts: 93 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

It might when you realize you can't find a refrigerator that makes it Razz

A good friend's wife insist on having pellet ice on hand. He simply stocks it in the 10lb bags and refills the ice bin as needed. It's an option, perhaps the only economical one.

The only ice makers I know that make pellet ice, are the trash compactor sized stand alone ice makers, that constantly make ice and then it melts and drains off, they waste a lot of water.

Those $150-200 counter top ice makers that you plug in, add water to a resevoir and they make ice, make pellet ice, can use bottled water for the water, and might be your cheapest and most reasonable way to go.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding a refrigerator. They are scarce. Most retail stores have them on backorder. Our local store told us people are buying them right off the floor.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a bad time to be appliance shopping.

I lucked into stumbling across exactly what I wanted for my new house in stock about a month ago, but pickings are slim.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep the sonic thing is what I did when I worked in my office, no ice maker in the freezer there, so bought a bag-o-Sonic ice and used it there all week.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, it's a bad time to be appliance shopping.

I lucked into stumbling across exactly what I wanted for my new house in stock about a month ago, but pickings are slim.

That's a new one on me...I'm in banking, so aware of the coin shortage and also have heard about the fitness equipment and bike shortages, which make sense. What's up with the appliance shortage? Is it just a manufacturing issue with plants shut down or reduced capacity or is it something else?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Same thing as pretty much every other manufacturing industry currently...

-Parts/raw materials supply chain issues
-Factory shutdowns
-A percentage of skilled/trained workers who didn't return to the factories after shutdowns ended, because they found something else/better in the meantime

All resulting in finished product shortages and backlogs.

Bikes. Appliances. Lumber. Flooring. Electronics. Fixtures. Lawn equipment. Tools. Pretty much anything that's manufactured is getting hit hard by these factors.

(The new car dealerships/companies are having a slightly easier time for now, due to lower than usual demand and a preexisting glut of supply. But even then, that'll only last until what's left of the current supply runs out.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

That's a new one on me...I'm in banking, so aware of the coin shortage and also have heard about the fitness equipment and bike shortages, which make sense. What's up with the appliance shortage? Is it just a manufacturing issue with plants shut down or reduced capacity or is it something else?

Also, more people are stocking up on food due to the shortages and need additional freezer space to do so.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Well that is a bummer on the pellet ice front. Guess I’ll just get the biggest Maytag we can stuff in the current spot as all the rest of the kitchen is Maytag minus the dishwasher.
Don’t have room for a stand alone ice maker.

Guess I’ll just look around for awhile since folks are saying they aren’t in stock. Ours works so that is good I guess.

————————————————

Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
They make separate pellet or nugget ice machines. They are free standing but are typically installed under a counter top. They are essentially a clear ice machine with a nugget form. I think Scotsman makes the Ge model. Not cheap.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just get a countertop one for under $250. They start dropping ice in less than 20 mins, then you can throw the ice in the freezer or in your drinking glass. Walmart has Frigidaire starting at $99. Search “countertop ice maker”

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

Also, more people are stocking up on food due to the shortages and need additional freezer space to do so.

I may have worn out the hinges, light and compressor on mine during MS shutdown..... That could be part of the issue as well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post