SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Asphalt vs concrete for driveway apron repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asphalt vs concrete for driveway apron repair Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
We have an asphalt driveway. Recently, the city cut out the curb and apron and about a 2 foot section; maybe 3 foot section of the end of our driveway where it meets the apron and the street. Because of the type of curb the city is putting in, this will result in an excessive slope toward the street. The city has graciously offered to extend the apron another 8 to 10 feet up the driveway. The options are to use concrete, which is what the apron and the curb are going to made of, or asphalt-which is what the driveway is already made of. They’re using concrete and asphalt cutters to make clean cuts.

My question is: what should I use for the bottom 8 to 10, maybe 12 feet of my 115 foot driveway: concrete or asphalt? The city engineer is recommending concrete as it will set up quicker and the job is done quicker-we have access to the driveway quicker. I’m thinking asphalt just because it matches the driveway, but I could be convinced to use concrete as long as it will be durable and not crack sooner than the asphalt would. Using asphalt is a longer process as all the driveways and aprons must be finished and the road milled before resurfacing happens-which is when the asphalt would arrive.

What’s the best option? City is paying… (I know-it’s not the city’s money).

Posts: 3014 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer concrete as it is pretty much what I have had for while and has held together a long time with out issue. When I was younger, my parent's home had an asphalt driveway and it would break apart and would chip off around the edges at times.

Posts: 7080 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I vote concrete

Posts: 2241 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
If I understand your description correctly, you will have an asphalt/concrete interface regardless of what you choose. The only difference is where that interface is. If the city is paying, seems to me an easy choice: concrete. Presuming the job is done correctly, concrete is a superior material and should outlast asphalt. It also makes a good sub-base for a future asphalt cap, if that ever becomes necessary.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As long as the dirt is well compacted, the concrete is much more durable.
Nice that they're doing that and offering you the options.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Concrete all day long.

Posts: 18143 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Properly installed concrete lasts a hell of a lot longer than asphalt. I lived in my last house 25 years. The original concrete was 30 years old. It still looked great especially after a pressure wash.

IMO the only advantage of asphalt it it melts snow a lot faster in winter.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Concrete for the apron as it will match the improvement the city puts in and the transition of the slope will be a "wear point" and the concrete is preferred for that.

Asphalt where vehicles are "stopping and going" create a lot of wear and tear, and concrete is better suited.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Given that in my area, concrete is $200/yard, your city's offer to use concrete for that 10 feet of your driveway (if one car wide) is worth several thousands of dollars -- and will likely out last all of us. That is an easy decision.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Another vote for concrete.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Concrete.

Posts: 6791 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concrete is the correct answer.

Posts: 376 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any reason to use asphalt. Asphalt is used as a cost saving measure normally. If your not paying, why not use the better option?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with concrete. It matches the curb and apron, and you'll get your driveway back sooner since it sets up quicker. Plus, if they use a good mix, it should hold up well.

Posts: 1418 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Alright. I called the city engineer and left a voicemail telling him concrete. As mentioned, they’re planning to go extra length up the driveway (where there’s a convenient crack in the asphalt) to lessen the grade to the street. I’m going to point out there’s an even more convenient crack just in front of the garage, and extending the concrete to the garage from the street will really help the grade even more.

I’ll let you know how he responds!

Posts: 3014 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
I’m going to point out there’s an even more convenient crack just in front of the garage, and extending the concrete to the garage from the street will really help the grade even more.

I’ll let you know how he responds!
I like the way you think. Smile

Posts: 7097 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post