SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ammo storage questions/discussion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo storage questions/discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Military ammunition cans in my garage on a shelf. Nothing more complicated than that.
When I lived in the humid north east same but in a basement

Posts: 3375 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been considering this one for a while, but I’m not sure it’s cost effective.

Liberty Ammo Can Safe

https://www.cabelas.com/produc...AMMO-CAN/1835442.uts

Safely and securely store up to 11 cu. ft. of ammo
Three permanent shelves hold 125 lbs. each
Two locking bars
External hinges allow the door to swing open 180°
Includes a five-year manufacturer's warranty
Safely and securely store up to 11 cu. ft. of ammo to the same standard of your firearms with Liberty Safe's Ammo Can. Three permanent shelves hold 125 lbs. each. Two locking bars easily engage when you turn the key in the secure cylinder key lock. External hinges allow the door to swing open 180° for unobstructed access. Includes a five-year manufacturer's warranty for peace of mind. Made in USA.
59-1/2"H x 24-1/4"W x 22"D.
Wt: 270 lbs.

Posts: 379 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably too small for your intended use anyway.

Posts: 379 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't bother locking up my ammo . It's heavy and a deterrent to theft . I highly recommend genuine GI cans though . Check the rubber gasket and put a light film of o-ring grease on them . During the flood in 2016 I had several cans that sat submerged under 4 feet of water for several days . I found them to be bone dry inside .

Posts: 4249 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey wins again with his pix. Anyone got an idea what those are? Bet they cost more than my entire ammo dump.

I feel good every time we have a run on ammo. Because I have too much, as in more than I will ever shoot. All my protection measures aren't good.. I once bought 4 of the cannon cans that stand maybe 2' high. I can't lift them even half full of shotgun ammo. I think they're 40mm but I guess I need to go check. Haven't been to the ammo dump in months, like January.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Best place I found for 50 cal ammo boxes is my local Walmart. Brand new and a lot cheaper than the gun shows.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
For a storage cabinet I am going something like this when we move next year after retiring. You can find them used for a pretty decent price. Heck in the garage it will also make a decent surface to place wood you want to cut with a saw. You know Multitasker.

https://www.northerntool.com/s...6EAQYAiABEgIguPD_BwE

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:...Anyone got an idea what those are? ...

Ball Caller: "B..... 61.... B61..."

Player: "BINGO!!!"

Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44461 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For security, jobbox.

For cans, Bass Pro normally has new, metal 50 cal cans for 10 bucks on black friday.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of these cans at Walmart , Academy , BP , etc. are aftermarket and probably Chinese . I've proven that the USGI are best , but if saving a dollar or two is more important , go for it .

Posts: 4249 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m lazy, but I leave mine (except defensive) in the original cases with the date of purchase written on the end in sharpie. For security, I like a seatrain container. Shelves made of 1”x1/4” angle iron welded to the side wall with 1”x3” tubing for vertical legs along the front with 3/4” plywood bottoms will hold a lot of weight.

Posts: 7075 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
most of mine are in military ammo cans,
50 and 30 cal size,

and stacked 2 high on shelves in an office type metal steel storage cabinet,

is has a lockable handle, but I don't bother,

each can is labeled with either a magic marker/sharpie on the front or on a white scale label (I pilfered a roll from a store I worked at many years ago that were sent for a different scale than what we used),
think postage type stickly back label,

excess is stacked on the concrete floor under my reloading bench,

insulated but not HVAC garage, rarely gets below 40, and rarely gets in the high 80's

no issues, no drama, and not visible from any window or casual observer walking in the the side door to the kitchen door

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10577 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Anyone care to share pics of their ammo storage?

Just finished organizing and shelving part of my ammo supply at the new house last night.

Magnetic labels are from www.AmmoCanMagnets.com

Shelf unit is from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hu...Z652454W3B/306554254

Posts: 33048 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use surplus USGI ammo cans . Back in 2016 when we had the massive flood here most of my ammo was on the floor in a closet or under the bed . I had 4 feet of water in my house for nearly 3 days . Everything that was in ammo cans stayed bone dry .
Hint : A little silicone grease on the rubber seal helps .

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I use surplus USGI ammo cans . Back in 2016 when we had the massive flood here most of my ammo was on the floor in a closet or under the bed . I had 4 feet of water in my house for nearly 3 days . Everything that was in ammo cans stayed bone dry .

Superlube grease is also a good synthetic grease found at Ace Hardware and others.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Superlube grease is also a good synthetic grease found at Ace Hardware and others.
Silicone O-ring grease is what I use . Any auto parts store , Walmart , pretty much anywhere .

posted Hide Post
I relocated the contents of an interior winter coat storage closet and put a deadbolt on the door. (My wife: WTF???) Need to get industrial strength shelving like what RogueJSK has. Solid wood door and reinforced frame. Not theft proof if someone is determined to getin but it will do. I mostly plan to keep the ammo in their original boxes rather than ammo cans. Not really part of my thinking but much harder to haul off if someone does break in.

Posts: 576 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post