Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Member |
Twice now it has been announced in big meetings with slideshows that I directly report to a new boss without discussing it with me privately first. I have fourteen months to retirement, but I am still going to express my displeasure. First one got unwound. I was not in attendance at either meeting | ||
|
| Age Quod Agis |
Sit still, collect the check, eject, eject, eject when the time comes. Hell, ask for a promotion like you still care. Good luck! "I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation." Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II. | |||
|
| Member |
I’m in a somewhat enviable position in that nobody else knows how to do my job and hundreds of students can’t do their clinicals and graduate without me. I’ve been told multiple times they know they’d be in deep shit if something happened to me, but the two people they wanted me to train moved on… | |||
|
| Hop head |
heard similar before, was promoted a few times to being a victim of my own success, basically going from one shit hole to another to fix them, when I left I was replaced immediately, with someone that was replaced immediately months later do you duty, make it till retirement, and tell them to fuck off if needed after you have collected all you are entitled to , https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/ | |||
|
| Technically Adaptive |
The last year before retirement was annoying as hell for me. Not sure if it was being there for a little over 10 years or trying to train the newbies in a service industry. Looking back on it, I should not of let it bother me. I think in most cases there is too much upper management. Hang in there! you can make it. | |||
|
| Green grass and high tides |
Make the most of it Melissa. Take advantage of the situation as best you can. You have earned it. Best of luck. "Practice like you want to play in the game" | |||
|
| Optimistic Cynic |
Here's another perspective, assuming that you truly are essential to your employers business success, post-retirement, give them a few months to realize their plight, then offer to come back on a contractual basis at a rate that will make their eyes water. Considering that your cost to them as an employee is, perhaps, 3.5X your nominal salary, that should give you a starting point for your contracted rate. I'd triple that number, and maybe back off to 2.5X if and only if they guarantee a minimum quantity of billed periods per whatever contracted period is agreed. A max number of periods might also be a negotiable item, as well as working conditions, scheduling, etc. As another alternative post-retirement, start up your own business offering your current employer position-specific training for your old job. Of course, you can also offer training to your current employer's competitors. This may or may not conflict with your idea of how you want to live your life in retirement. However, many people find a life of idleness, and loss of income not quite to their liking. If you structure it correctly, you can ease into a more leisurely life style rather than falling into it. | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
I have two "retired" friends doing this, one was a regional project manager for Motorola, helped bid, contract and design of new radio stations for EMS, Fire, Police, took early buy out by two years, his boss wasn't happy he left but Motorola offer was equal to what he would have earned working. Other started a consulting business to auto dealer service companies, an industry he's been in for 30+ years. Both are doing very well and still have time for travel, golf, whatever they want since it's their own consulting firms... | |||
|
| Member |
Not really uncommon in my experience. You can do 14 months standing on your head so I wouldn't stress on the change. If your new "boss" becomes unreasonable evolve to a philosophy of doing exactly and only what is required. On your timeline, there is zero chance they could work you through a Performance Improvement Plan before your retirement. In other words, congratulations you're what they call bullet proof as long as you don't do something silly. Is it annoying? Yes, but I'd just grind it out. | |||
|
| Honky Lips |
at least they bothered to announce it. I've had a new boss for a few weeks now, I was never even told formally. I'm looking to eject from this employer with the same amount of notice. I don't need the reference. _____________________________________________ Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways." | |||
|
| Member |
If you want to know who your boss is, just use the old cover sheet on your TPS report. You will hear about it from all of your bosses. Beagle lives matter. ______ (\ / @\_____ / ( ) /O / ( )______/ ///_____/ | |||
|
| Member |
I actually probably wouldn’t mind working part time remote, except my sister is stuck taking care of/driving mom all the time, so I need to pick up and do my share and give her a break or she may not be speaking to me. Of course, that is saying Mom is still in her house by then. You have to wait sixty or ninety days to go back part time after you retire from the state in Texas. | |||
|
| Member |
Wait out the 14 months, retire and enjoy the many things our world offers to those not tethered to a job. It's great, so many things to do. U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Perfect, time to drive mom around and help your sister, futz around the house, clean it, do the yard, shop, take a trip to Europe, beach in Florida, head to CA train with Taren Tactical, buy a couple of guns, by then you probably will be bored with it and ready to get paid sitting in your home office drinking Earl Grey and working in your jammies LOL | |||
|
Happily Retired![]() |
Yeah, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. There really is no upside for you to do anything else. .....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress. | |||
|
| Page late and a dollar short |
Just remember that the problems you are leaving behind will still be if you go back as a consultant/1099 employee there. My ex-manager tried to”sweet talk” me into changing my mind about retiring as the day got closer. Part of it was that he didn’t want to lose my experience and abilities in the automotive parts world. The other part was that he would have loved to gloat over the fact that he convinced me to stay, purely an ego thing for him. Working for him for nine years I figured him out early on but between what I was making and getting so close to retirement I’d just wait it out which I did. -------------------------------------—————— ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman) | |||
|
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
Two of my buddy's have had the opposite experience where I work: Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

