SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving pics to new Mac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving pics to new Mac Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
New Mac is generally pretty good. Not perfect but generally pretty easy to ramp up. Still getting used to it and MacOS.

Moved hundred of folders with thousands of pics from old pc to new Mac. Currently all photos are still in folders organized by year and then by things like events (ie trips or holidays or birthdays)

When import pics into the Photo app, all photos are listed chronologically. Would like the photos to also be organized by events like in the folder structure.

Is there an easy way to do this for novice user?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Moved hundred of folders with thousands of pics from old pc to new Mac. Currently all photos are still in folders organized by year and then by things like events (ie trips or holidays or birthdays)
When you eventually install a NAS on your home network you can say goodbye to ever having to copy or move files around again. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd not import them into Photos.

Rather, leave them as organized. There is a dedicated Pictures folder in your Home folder unconnected with the Photos application.

I keep archived images in my Pictures folder but use a Dropbox folder on my desktop to keep them synced between devices. The Photos application is synced to my phone; I keep that folder rather slim.

Applications
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Dropbox
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I created dedicated folders for all my pictures

I don’t use the photos app at all

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yea, that’s the way I’m trending. While I figured out the Keep Folder organization thing, now I’ve got a new problem that I can’t figure out. Whenever I try to add photos to the photo app into existing albums, it creates a new sub album. Why can’t I just drag and drop pictures into an existing album? Why does it create a new sub album for each pic I drag and drop into an existing album?

I’m not sure if these are learning pains or if the app is just stupid.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Looking for apps.....

Seems like all the apps I use on the iphone aren't available for the Mac. Is this what I should be expecting? So, things like trail map apps, hbo, youtube, prime music, prime videos, banking, etc - I should expect to use the browser on Mac but apps on phone? BTW, no chrome browser for Mac? None of the apps I use on the phone seem to be available for the mac.

Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for apps.....

Seems like all the apps I use on the iphone aren't available for the Mac. Is this what I should be expecting? So, things like trail map apps, hbo, youtube, prime music, prime videos, banking, etc - I should expect to use the browser on Mac but apps on phone? BTW, no chrome browser for Mac? None of the apps I use on the phone seem to be available for the mac.

Chrome is available, I have it, along with Firefox. I mostly use Safari but some sites need another browser. The Apple App Store for MacOS has lots of apps but many apps are available to download directly from the publisher - just like before the App Store existed. Yes, many of the things you mention can be done through a web browser and do not need separate apps.

Recommendation: get ClamXAV for protection from viruses and other crap. It's open source based, updated frequently, and has a very reasonable subscription fee.

Posts: 4963 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for apps.....

iOS and MacOS are different operating systems. You will not find every publisher for iOS to have also created a corresponding Mac app. This will probably change soon as the new Macs with ARM processors roll out, since those Macs will probably gain the ability to run iOS apps. I don't know how that will work without a touch interface, but we shall see. In the meantime, you do things the same as you did on your PC. For example, you access your bank account on your bank's app on your phone, and in the web browser on the Mac.

Google has Chrome for Mac. You can download it directly from Google here. After Windows, before Linux.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8279 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Now I better understand what to expect, at least for now.