SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lutron vs Leviton LED Dimmer Switches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lutron vs Leviton LED Dimmer Switches Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Does anyone know if Leviton is better than Lutron for LED dimmer switches?

I have a Lutron dimmer switch for my dining room light, and it’s never been quite right, have switched out bulbs several times and they all seem to flicker and buzz and I’m just wondering if it’s the dimmer and not the bulbs? Was thinking about trying a Leviton dimmer to see if that was maybe the issue, not sure if anyone has any experience between these two brands?

Seems like Lutron has the corner on the dimmer switch market but Leviton does make them too.

I am using a good brand like Cree and not some Amazon junk.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I would never use anything except Lutron. Dimmers are relatively inexpensive, so I don't see any reason to cheap out on them.

I'm curious why you switched lamps multiple times? After one or two swaps I would have moved on to dimmer.

If you take the cover off and post a picture I can let you know if it's an LED dimmer or not. If it's not a LED dimmer, I'd swap it for one designed for LEDs.

Also you could simply go to the lamp manufacturer website or 1-800# and just buy whatever dimmer they recommend and tested with.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Most of my house I’ve replaced with Lutron switches, including many dimmers, mostly from their Caseta line (“smart” crap). No problems except in a few cases where my 1950s-built house didn’t have a neutral, but that has been easy enough to fix.

I’d be looking at your fixture or the wiring.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've used two different kinds of Lutron dimmer switches with LED lighting (both screw-in [E26] bulbs and LED fixtures): Regular dimmer switches and Caséta switches The only problem I ever had was a cheap Lowe's LED ceiling fixture (Utilitech, I think it was?) that would do crazy things on power-up about 1/4 of the time. Swapped it out for an LED fixture from Costco and problem solved.

A couple of the standard screw (E26) LED bulbs will sometimes flicker at lower settings. I think they're CREE bulbs. One or both may be Feit bulbs. They're both on Lutron Caséta plug-in lamp modules.

Can't speak to Leviton dimmers. Don't have any in use of which I'm aware.
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Most of my house I’ve replaced with Lutron switches, including many dimmers, mostly from their Caseta line (“smart” crap). No problems except in a few cases where my 1950s-built house didn’t have a neutral, ...
Most Lutron Caséta dimmers do not require a neutral. That was one reason I went with the product.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I would never use anything except Lutron. Dimmers are relatively inexpensive, so I don't see any reason to cheap out on them.

I'm curious why you switched lamps multiple times? After one or two swaps I would have moved on to dimmer.

If you take the cover off and post a picture I can let you know if it's an LED dimmer or not. If it's not a LED dimmer, I'd swap it for one designed for LEDs.

Also you could simply go to the lamp manufacturer website or 1-800# and just buy whatever dimmer they recommend and tested with.

It’s 100% an LED dimmer

I think the model is Skylark by Lutron

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think I've used both but most recently I've only been using Lutron.

I don't think I have any complaints with either brand. But for some reason, without any real data, I've been preferring Lutron. There was a reason I bought Lutron at some point over Leviton but can't remember what it was. But I still have Leviton switches installed; just the most recent ones have all been Lutron.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12750 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

It’s 100% an LED dimmer

I think the model is Skylark by Lutron

Switch it to a DIVA - DVCL-153PR-WH (the last two letters are color). They are higher quality switches and are the most widely tested/accepted from lamp manufacturers. The best part is that it's the same plate opening, so if you have decorative plates there's no need to even change the plate.

Before doing the swap, I'd call the lamp manufacturer or visit their website to confirm that the DIVA is on their approved list.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OK thanks Skins. I may give that a try

Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
I've had better luck with Lutron and have a mix of Diva dumb switches and Caseta smart switches. I never intended to have any smart switches but I had a situation where I needed a switch inside a bathroom and wiring would have been difficult, so I got a Caseta set with a wall-mounted remote that looks just like a switch. I will warn you though that I've seen odd interactions between a Diva three-way dimmer and a Caseta dimmer: occasionally I'll turn off the Diva and the Caseta in the adjacent room turns off, turns on 100%, then goes back to it's previous setting.

Whatever you end up with make sure you follow the procedure to "trim" the dimming range, and consider re-accomplishing if you change bulb brand/type.

Posts: 927 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good to know for future reference!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38708 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:
I will warn you though that I've seen odd interactions between a Diva three-way dimmer and a Caseta dimmer: occasionally I'll turn off the Diva and the Caseta in the adjacent room turns off, turns on 100%, then goes back to it's previous setting.
That is odd, considering that Caséta uses RF communications and the non-smart Diva switches have no RF capability.

We're using Maestro dimmers where we're not using Caséta.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post