SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professor fired for ‘alleged’ racism wins arbitration and job back
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professor fired for ‘alleged’ racism wins arbitration and job back Login/Join 
posted
I followed this at the time; he was essentially fired for telling the truth. He is now vindicated!

https://legalinsurrection.com/...les-Negy-and-UCF.pdf

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I say Good...Is there a 'Cliff Notes' version available? Don't really want (or have the time) to read an eleven page court opinion on the case. Wink

OK, here's something...

https://www.orlandosentinel.co...kcqxzliei-story.html

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Your Orlando Sentinel link is for subscription viewers only.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I say Good...Is there a 'Cliff Notes' version available? Don't really want (or have the time) to read an eleven page court opinion on the case. Wink

OK, here's something...

There's apparently a paywall in place. And as someone who's dealt with the Slantinel for over 30 years, any amount of money for access to that rag is too much. Can you just past the article here for all of us.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The “Cliff’s Notes” is good.

The Arbitrator’s statement demonstrates how horribly egregious the UCF Administration’s behavior was at the time.

I hope his private attorneys get a settlement that fits the Administration’s behavior.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting fired for making students think.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Deal is 100% correct.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In addition to damages, both compulsory and punitive, I hope the administrators involved get fired for cause. Stupid should hurt - they should be personally feel the pain, not just the institution making payouts.

The institution needs to feel pain so that they are more conscious of the people they hire.

The administrators involved should feel pain because stupid should hurt. They are free to think like morons but not act on those feelings.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only hope that all UCF Administration listed in the letter are held personally liable for their behavior.

No quarter
.308/.223

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

OK, here's something...

There's apparently a paywall in place. And as someone who's dealt with the Slantinel for over 30 years, any amount of money for access to that rag is too much. Can you just past the article here for all of us.

Uhhh, I am NOT a subscriber and it opens right up for me. I'm using FireFox ESR w/ AdGuard AdBlocker, and lots of filters enabled... Wink

I only did a search because the OP didn't provide an easy 'Cliff Notes' synopsis and Orlando is somewhat local, so I figured I'd post the link. The title of the article definitely revealed the slant, but it was one of only two links I found at the time. That said, because you asked...

Controversial UCF professor fired amid racism controversy wins job back

A controversial University of Central Florida professor who came under fire two years ago for tweets that many students described as racist and was fired last year has won his job back after an independent arbitrator determined the school’s action violated its contract with the faculty union.

Charles Negy, an associate professor in the psychology department, will get his job back with back pay and benefits, according to a ruling signed this week by an arbitrator who heard arguments from the United Faculty of Florida and the university in the case.

UCF terminated Negy early last year after a university investigation found he created a “hostile” classroom environment, deterred students from filing complaints about his classroom conduct, failed to report that a student said in 2014 she had been sexually assaulted by one of his teaching assistants and provided false information during the probe.

The university stands by its earlier findings, spokesman Chad Binette wrote in a statement, but must abide by the arbitrator’s ruling.

Negy said in an interview Thursday he’s been told he’s slated to resume teaching classes this fall. Over the past year and a half since his firing, he’s applied for more than 20 faculty positions on other campuses and “got no response.” By soliciting complaints from students about his performance, UCF leaders “made it a point to publicly crush me,” Negy said.

“They have ruined my career, ruined my reputation and it’s hard to do research in psychology when others will not collaborate with you,” he said.

The university embarked on the investigation that resulted in Negy’s firing in 2020 after students and others complained about tweets from Negy they deemed racist.

His controversial comments included one tweet from June 2020 that read, “Sincere question: If Afr. Americans as a group, had the same behavioral profile as Asian Americans (on average, performing the best academically, having the highest income, committing the lowest crime, etc.), would we still be proclaiming ‘systematic racism’ exists?”

Throughout the summer of 2020, thousands of people signed online petitions calling for Negy’s firing, including one that received more than 28,000 signatures and also noted “perverse transphobia and sexism” on his Twitter account, describing the posts as “reprehensible.”

The petition also suggested Negy’s views had resulted in the maltreatment of students in his classroom.

More than 300 people were interviewed during the course of the investigation. University leaders stressed last year that they decided to fire Negy based on the findings of the probe, not the tweets, which they said were protected by the First Amendment.

But arbitrator Ben Falcigno, who heard the case, noted in a decision released earlier this week that Negy’s record at UCF “shows no detrimental evaluations at all,” and that he was rated “outstanding” during his last five evaluations. Additionally, he received an award intended to recognize teaching excellence and productivity, known as a TIP award, three times.

Though university leaders condemned Negy’s views in mid-2020, just one year prior, he received a pay increase of $11,514, an incentive intended to keep him at UCF after he received a job offer from a different school, that raised his salary to $107,000.

“We have a professor of some 18 years tenured with consistently outstanding annual evaluations, with three TIP awards, recipient of a special pay adjustment successfully designed to persuade him not to leave UCF,” Falcigno wrote. “There is no evidence that UCF gave him reason to believe he was anything but as highly esteemed as his evaluations and treatment, with no reason to perform differently.”

The arbitrator wrote that UCF failed to meet the requirements of the “just cause” provision spelled out in its faculty contract because it did not give Negy the opportunity to change his behavior or prove he was incapable of correcting the alleged problems.

“UCF made the basic mistake of acting as if management bore no responsibility,” Falcigno wrote. “Nor did it give consideration to the messages in the form of evaluations and rewards it sent year after year to validate Dr. Negy’s teaching, and now it wants to blame only him — with capital punishment — for what it retroactively sees as serious misconduct.”

Regarding the university’s allegation that Negy failed to report a sexual assault, Falcigno wrote that Negy’s account of events — that two female students told him a male teaching assistant made them feel uncomfortable as he sat next to them at a gathering but did not touch them physically — was “plausible.”

Negy also said that he made other university employees aware of the 2014 incident at the time and the university had not provided training about how to properly report such misconduct.

Binette in a statement this week said the school supports First Amendment rights for students and employees, as well as the principle of academic freedom for faculty members, and “we encourage the expression of diverse points of view in a civil manner.”

But university employees must “not impose their personal beliefs on students and we do not tolerate discrimination against any member of our campus community,” he added.

“UCF stands by the actions taken following a thorough investigation that found repeated misconduct in Professor Negy’s classroom, including imposing his views about religion, sex and race,” Binette said. “However, we are obligated to follow the arbitrator’s ruling.”

Negy said he has hired a private attorney in addition to the ones hired by the faculty union and plans to sue the university, though he declined to elaborate on the nature of the suit.

“I love teaching and I’ve done nothing wrong,” Negy said. “I can debate people with gusto. I can debate people on positions on social matters and as a professor, I have the constitutional right to do so without being bullied by university administrators.”

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The letter that was sent doesn't seem to match the real reason.

The things about deterring people seems pretty rigged to me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, because you asked...
Thanks for posting that. It pains me to have to read Slantinel stories, but I at least have a somewhat better grasp of the basics of this issue.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post