SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Red cars and Insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red cars and Insurance Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
My Corvette convertible insurance is $528 per year. My Nissan Altima 4 banger is $1,042 a year. Both are red. Same coverage. Figure that one out!

What years are they?

My Corvette is a 2007 worth about $30k and my Altima is a 2015 worth about 12k.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
It’s never been high on this:

Or this:

Mike - cause red is the fastest color.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Corvette convertible insurance is $528 per year. My Nissan Altima 4 banger is $1,042 a year. Both are red. Same coverage. Figure that one out!
Premium could very well be affected by things like how many miles / year the vehicle is driven, driving history for each named driver for each vehicle, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that my red 1998 Corolla costs way less to insure than my black 2023 Ferrari.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Premium could very well be affected by things like how many miles / year the vehicle is driven, driving history for each named driver for each vehicle, etc.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My wife and I are retired high school teachers. Neither of us have ever had an accident or gotten a ticket. The insurance company does not ask about mileage. This is why it is hard to understand.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My wife and I are retired high school teachers. Neither of us have ever had an accident or gotten a ticket. The insurance company does not ask about mileage. This is why it is hard to understand.

Does your state have a yearly inspection? If it's anything like MA the mileage gets reported when the vehicle gets inspected, and it goes to the insurance company that way.

The Mass RMV and insurance companies are incredibly close though, more so than most states, so it may not be the same in yours.

There is definitely something driving the cost difference. Either the insurance company doesn't think the replacement cost is as high as you think it is (I'd say unlikely, just based on a quick search for 07 vettes), or there is some sort of restriction/discount/etc placed on that car specifically.

Are you and your wife the same age? Could be a discount based on age, years licensed, etc. Honestly it might be worth a call to your insurance agent if you're curious enough about it.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Tickets? For me it's been more about the type of vehicle than the color.

White Mitsubishi 3000GT was an absolute ticket magnet. The only time I didn't get a ticket when pulled over was being pulled over in the HOV lane with my daughter in a car seat in the back (trooper couldn't see her). Other than that, it was a ticket every time.

Contrast that with my next 2 vehicles:

White 3500 Dodge Ram, I don't think I ever got pulled over in that, though to be fair, I didn't like the fuel mileage when pushing that one.

Black Camry SE w/ V6 (it's faster than the 3000GT I had) I've never been pulled over, but did have a stern finger waving at me from an officer on a back road Big Grin .

Last summer I picked up a red NA Miata - haven't had that one very long, but I doubt I'll get pulled over in that either (unless they see me coming out of an empty round about).

Insurance has been about the same for all except the old Miata which is much lower.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd imagine Nissan Altimas are stolen and crashed at far higher rates. My bright yellow Cayman costs less than my wife's white CR-V does to insure.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I just put a deposit down on this one. It's being prepped for delivery, I expect to have it by the end of the week. I'll find out about the insurance hit when I take delivery and add it to my policy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post