SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for a product to affix wood to plexi?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a product to affix wood to plexi? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I have a very large plexiglass company logo that was made to mount on a wall that I now wish to mount on a rolling tv stand instead. In order to mount the brackets on the plexilogo I think I want to glue some plywood to the bag so I have more thickness for the screws that will hold
The bracket on.

I guesstimate the logo to be about 4 feet in diameter and maybe 8-10 pounds. It is probably 1/4” thick.

Any suggestions on the proper adhesive for this job? Preference to something I can get at the local Home Depot with the company account.

Posts: 6381 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Spray-on contact cement? Best get it right the first time, cuz it ain't comin' off once the two pieces make contact Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B6000 adhesive

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Wood screws drilled and countersunk through the plexiglass.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any good epoxy. Or any good marine sealant intend for this like 3m4000uv or 4200.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11015 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
3M 4200 if you ever want to separate them. 5200 if you never want to separate.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3765 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
B6000 adhesive

I've had very good luck adhering two dissimilar materials with E6000 adhesive. Get it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought was the E6000 also.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
put it in a frame

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silicone. Works well, can be removed if necessary. Would avoid screw holes, due to propensity of acrylic to crack.

5200 attacks some plastics, not sure about acrylic though.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Without knowing/seeing more, in addition to what was already suggested, I’d also consider VHB or some heavy duty hook and loop.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
JB Weld.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I looked at the JB Weld products available at Home Depot and for some reason I can’t recall at the movement it didn’t seem like the best choice.

Screwing directly into the plexi won’t work… I can’t risk screws puncturing all the way through and it simply isn’t think enough to be confident.

A frame won’t work… it’s completely circular and needs to hang on a wheeled tv cart like the one at this link. My plan is to glue the wood to the back of plexi and then screw the brackets that typically attach to the back of the tv to the wood.

The E6000 seems like it was right for the job and I requested that it be picked up for me tomorrow. If it fails I don’t think the logo will be damaged… it won’t be that high.

Posts: 6381 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Thirty years of using e6000
It's only failed me once.

When a snow plow took out my mail box in -12 degree fahrenheit weather.

The two pieces did come apart

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
In Thirty years of using e6000
It's only failed me once.

When a snow plow took out my mail box in -12 degree fahrenheit weather.

The two pieces did come apart

Unacceptable.

Razz

posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I keep using it once or twice a year to find stuff that it won't hold on too.

96% satisfaction is good enough for me

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Barge is a great contact cement that will glue just about anything to just about anything else. Saddle makers/leather workers use it widely. I have used to adhere neoprene bumpers to the bottom of stainless steel magazines, where other adhesives failed. Have also glued rubber to wood, leather to stainless, and other combinations. Two coats on any porous surface.

For gluing any large surface like that with contact cement, I would suggest separating the two pieces with wood dowels that run the full width. This makes it easy to move the decal around and position it so it is right over the substrate, because you do not get a second chance. Adhere one end only at first, and reposition. Then start pulling the dowels out and adhering as you work your way across.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post