SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Son an IDF Paratrooper + few pix of trip to Israel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son an IDF Paratrooper + few pix of trip to Israel Login/Join 
posted
Hello. Just back from a glorious, tiring, (and expensive), 2 weeks in Israel to see our son and daughter. Highlight was joining our son and his fellow soon-to-be-full paratroopers getting their coveted red berets. We walked up with him for the final km of a 55-km, all-night march UP into Jersualem's Ammunition Hill.

As his squad's heavy machinegunner, he carried the 25+ lb FN MAG every step of the way, along with 125 rounds of ammo, and gear totaling about 60 lbs. The family and friends and soldiers were joined by honking cars and cheering passerbys.

He was utterly smoked, soaked, and happy to be almost done! The ceremony was quite an event and PACKED with family, friends, and photographers.

He's got 2 weeks of more langauge training (light duty, and hearing him speak almost-fluent Hebrew is surreal) and then 4 weeks back in States/leave. Then back to Israel for a bit over a year of active duty, advanced training, regular guard duty and ops, and G-d forbid, special ops if things go sideways in Israel...

So, a very few pix (sorry for the proud dad smile plastered to my face).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Looking 'BadAss' in that last pic! Congrats to your Paratrooper/son, and you as well... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8957 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your hardcore son and his paratrooper brothers!!

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
He looks like a BAMF

Interesting that some of them shape their berets into an almost garrison cap shape?

Posts: 33891 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Pretty effin’ cool, dad. I’ll keep him in my thoughts and prayers that he may stay safe throughout his time in the IDF. God Bless him

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
You all are awesome! Thank you for sharing your photos and experience. Cheers!

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Interesting that some of them shape their berets into an almost garrison cap shape?

My son's beret was brand new so not shaped like he will have it (like his friend to his right/left side of picture). BTW, these three paratroopers are all now dual US/Israeli citizens, called "lone soldiers." About 9% of IDF soldiers are "foreign volunteers" = Jews from around the world.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and best wishes for your son from an old paratrooper. My wings are 53 years old now!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow. Awesome beyond words.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. You are a deservedly proud Dad!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
...garrison cap

We had a different name for them. Big Grin

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
What a proud moment. Congratulations and thank you for sharing!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6017 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Awesome! This has to be such a proud dad moment. You raised him to be a fine young man.

quote:
As his squad's heavy machinegunner, he carried the 25+ lb FN MAG every step of the way, along with 125 rounds of ammo, and gear totaling about 60 lbs

That is definitely not for the weak of heart, mind or body!

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That is very heartening to know that such men still exist.
Congratulations to everyone.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47415 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Nothing like signing up for an easy street enlistment. </sarcasm>

That takes some balls the likes of which I will never have.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19719 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:

My son's beret was brand new so not shaped like he will have it (like his friend to his right/left side of picture). BTW, these three paratroopers are all now dual US/Israeli citizens, called "lone soldiers." About 9% of IDF soldiers are "foreign volunteers" = Jews from around the world.

That's interesting to know.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19719 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing that.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:

That's interesting to know.

In this case, the country is Israel, but I wonder what the perception would be if US dual nationality citizens started serving in the Russian, Chinese, Indian or Mexican army?

I have dual nationality myself as the son of immigrants, but would never dream of serving in another country’s armed forces. To each their own.

Posts: 2327 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Israel has a long-standing tradition of lone soldiers given the age-old issue: Is Israel a Nation of Jews or a Jewish Nation? And because of the nature and history of its founding. My son did dream of serving in the IDF after COVID wiped his chance to be an exchange student at Tel Aviv U. in Spring of 2020.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Congratulations to you and your son.

That well-worn M4 in the last photo looks like it's seen some things.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post