SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Steel or Fiberglass Entry doors??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel or Fiberglass Entry doors?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
The cabin is getting new entry doors. Just trying to decide if I am going with fiberglass or steel.
All 3 doors are under large covered porches, so they get very little direct Sun and rarely get wet.
They will all be behind storm doors.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So what is your concern or question?

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I like fiberglass. They don’t dent.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

And they won’t transmit heat like steel doors too, right?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Steel, best for security which is what a door is for. It’s also the most energy efficient. I run those for my entry doors with double sided deadbolts and a storm door in front of it that has the automotive glass and security bolts/latches.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

And they won’t transmit heat like steel doors too, right?

That’s right.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum said: "You'll be fine trust us."

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
For a Steel or Fiberglass door the considerations should be:

How is it Insulated?
Is it foam injected filling the door top to bottom or is it "Onesize fits most" foam sheets pressed in. Where the injection shines is in the little gaps where window insets are fitted.

Windows or in the industry, Lites: Remember windows are a whole in the wall/door you throw money through. They will never be as heat/cold retained.
Expense. A window can turn a $250 into a $800 door in a moment.

As said above Fiberglass does not dent, that is a pro, it also does not need to be painted. Steel may be overall stronger but a crack in the paint layer from a dent or a scratch can bring in unsightly rust.

Just a few musings from a former Millwork Manager

~------------------------------~
"Other Duties as Assigned"

Posts: 1355 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: March 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I had fiberglass in our log home solid no issues for the 13 years we were there. To get the wood look a gel stain was used.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
We replaced an aging wood entry with fiberglass about 15 years ago. Single door with two sidelights. We love it. No storm door and on the coldest winter days the door is warm to the touch. We also found that it deadens sound from traffic as well. Zero maintenance.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Very small window at the very top just for some light and to tell if someone is standing there.
They’ll be nicely fortified so to get in one will actually have to break out and climb in a window.
They will be white and one will almost never be opened.
Really sounds as if it does not matter but whichever is cheaper.
The doors on there now are likely 40 years old and wood. Still in somewhat usable shape but it’s time to replace them.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So what is your concern or question?

Which to go with?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Fiberglass doors are all around better than steel

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Fiberglass all the way.

Steal may have an advantage for security but unless you reenforcing the jam and have high security locks it doesn't matter. The jam is almost always the weak point and what gives up first.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure the Fiberglass is insulated. Worth it.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Fiberglass all the way.

Steal may have an advantage for security but unless you reenforcing the jam and have high security locks it doesn't matter. The jam is almost always the weak point and what gives up first.

Exactly. Unless you have a steel frame, it makes no difference. Also, if the steel door is comprised of steel and wood, it can swell if in the heat. When we have to do our doors again, I am looking at fiberglass.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Therma-Tru fiberglass with small half-circle light on top as front door. 20 years old still working good. I did wood-stained look, but needs some re-doing. Have a Stanley steel half-window on back of house, same age. Back door gets far more use than front. Got this one on big discount when lumber yard had a return, was still in packing. Fiberglass is a prettier door, but bondo handles steel door dents.

P229R - 9mm
Kahr PM9

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocono Mountains, PA | Registered: April 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budget? Location?
Steel with a peep hole for less, but not in a coastal location.

Is someone going to look at them with a critical eye? Steel always seems to pick up dents easily and often.
Fiberglass for looks if the budget allows.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post