SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alabama man shoots 820 lb wild hog in his front yard...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama man shoots 820 lb wild hog in his front yard... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been to a bunch of hog killings, we would shoot them in the head with a 22 pistol, I only had to shoot 1 hog twice, and it was because he turned his head just as I shot.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30920 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a monster. I've shot some 400+ pounders, but nothing even close to that big.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I thought hogs were tough to kill?

They can be, but a lot of the mystique about hogs being tough to kill are from improper shot placement. Hogs are laid out differently than a lot of other game, and many hunters unknowingly shoot too high, missing the vital organs, which are down low on a hog.

With proper shot placement, even smaller/weaker calibers can get the job done. With a lighter caliber, a close-range brain/spine shot just behind the ear is your best bet.

But a .38 revolver wouldn't be my first choice by any means.

Posts: 32654 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's enormous. Wow.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea they got that big

Posts: 3378 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much longer before they get to be big enough to ride? Rodeos (and rodeo clowns) will never be the same again.

Seriously, though, I thoroughly believe that hog would make for some nasty eating. What would you do with 820 pounds of inedible and inevitably decomposing hog?

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know.... Donate it to the local mosque?

Posts: 790 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He wasn't bringing home the bacon, the bacon was coming home.

Posts: 10057 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I wonder how much longer before they get to be big enough to ride? Rodeos (and rodeo clowns) will never be the same again.

There is a joke in there, but I'm not going to be the one to make it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11460 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Shoot them at the base of the ear and they will drop on the spot, doesn't matter how big they are.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
We had one take six shots each from a .41 mag, .44 mag, and .357 mag and took a while to go down. Shot placement was not the greatest as he was fighting with the dogs.

A while later, we had another smaller hog bayed by the dogs and we did not want to kill(pay for) him. Our guide told my buddy to hit him in his plate with a .22 and scare him off. It didn't work. The little bullet penetrated the plate and killed him on the spot. Go figure.

quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
I have been to a bunch of hog killings, we would shoot them in the head with a 22 pistol, I only had to shoot 1 hog twice, and it was because he turned his head just as I shot.

Posts: 1998 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BBQ time

Posts: 718 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
http://www.al.com/outdoors/ind..._pound_wild_hog.html

Looks just like my last girlfriend, except she was ugly.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It looks like that hog grew about 25% from the first picture to the hanging picture. I can tell from the pixels.

Posts: 27024 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hanging photos are easy to stage. He could be a couple feet behind the hanging hog, which would make it look bigger. (Same concept as the fishing photos with the fish held towards the camera at arm's length.)

In the first photo, he's directly next to the hog, so that is a more accurate representation of the size.

Posts: 32654 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Feral hogs are considered a game animal in Alabama and have no closed season and no bag limits. This means that on private land, hunters can legally hunt hogs every day of the year with no harvest restrictions

Translation: Please help us control this harmful pest, but we're still going to charge you for your help.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8232 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post