SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Your call will be answered in the order received"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Your call will be answered in the order received" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This has always bugged me. An item cannot have an order by itself; it has order only in relation to other items. Shouldn't it be "Calls are answered in the order received" or is that no difference at all?

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every single call-in line is "experiencing higher than normal call volume" all of the time. If it happens so often, then that would be the "normal" call volume, wouldn't it?

And how about the ones that now ask you to provide a number that they will call back instead of waiting on hold?

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Since I am retired, I am fortunate to have health care thru my company. Had to call last week to HR and kept on hearing that canned voice for about 45 minutes. Thank god for speaker phone.

Posts: 5304 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You are right. Calls will be answered in the order they are received. I never put much thought into it because that statement is usually preceeded by "Your call is very important to us, please stay on the line...". After about 5 minutes, I start thinking if my call is really important to you, you would have a person answer the phone. After the first half hour, I start calling BS on my call being important. Once past the one hour mark, I start wondering how we got to this point.

Is it my imagination, or was there a point in time where good customer service meant a human answering the phone by the third ring?

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I guess you could look at it from their point of view. They have a bunch of calls in the cue and adding your call to that group would give it a relationship to those calls. No?

What bugs me is not understanding the person that ends up answering it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5041 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

And everyone's menu options have changed.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until AI takes over customer service calls.

They'll answer your call right away. They'll give you nice cordial replies that will be of absolutely no use for situations that require a solution outside of the preprogrammed answers.

No managers, no way to escalate it and the good news is that you can cuss and berate the AI and it'll keep replying until you give up out of frustration because your time is more valuable than the bandwidth the call takes.

Posts: 815 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
These messages are two-fold. A) they really want no part of you whatsoever B) This business has way too much business and doesn't really need you.

So the question I ask, is do I REALLY need them? Many times the answer is yes, unfortunately.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8358 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'll answer your call right away. They'll give you nice cordial replies that will be of absolutely no use for situations that require a solution outside of the preprogrammed answers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is already here. Call some insurance companies.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happened to me just yesterday. Robo voice said it could help and my response every time was AGENT. Was on hold for quite a while and then call finally answered by someone in the Philippines. Upside is she answered my questions without putting me on hold for 5 minutes. That said, I dislike the automated systems.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If your call was important, someone would have answered by now...

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You would think they would hopefully answer their calls in the order they were received and not just randomly or at their convenience. I believe the IRS uses some sort of random call answering system with a built in waiting cue that is at least 90 minutes long. Big Grin

What’s arguably as bad as the hoops you have to jump through to get a human on the phone is when they say this rather than answer your question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Most of you who have responded have answered questions I did not ask. My question is about grammar, and nothing else. I didn't post this so we could all complain about being on hold, or the questionable competence of the people on the other end of the phone.

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I suspect in their minds there is no difference, but in the first example, the term "will be answered" would indicate that the call is answered at some point and in the order received. The term "are answered" would indicate that, if or when, they are answered, it will be in the order received. One term is a little more definitive that the other.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2090 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I don't know that "your call will be answered" is technically incorrect. Just because two of the words used, standing alone, refer to a single thing (your call), does that necessarily exclude your call from being a part of a group? The use of "will be answered" and "order received" also imply there are others ahead of you, otherwise, why wasn't your call answered in the first place? It implies that your call is one of many, and thus will be arranged in some order. I do agree with you that "calls will be answered" is probably better English, because it directly refers to the group of calls, rather than making an inference. More clear and concise.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I know zero shits about English grammar so...

Would , "Your call will be answered in the order in which it was received" be correct? Better?

Or is that more words saying the same damn thing?

I know there is a College Egnlish Professor on the forum...

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, because that rephrasing still indicates one call only, not a series.

posted Hide Post
It's as grammatically incorrect as saying "they" for a singular person.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I suppose the context and what is left out is... relative to all the other calls we get.

I can see if it was changed to "calls will be answered in the order received," someone will complain "What about MY call?"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I agree that "Your call will be answered in the order received" is incorrect, since a single call cannot be received in a particular order.

As said, ... "Calls are answered in the order received" ... makes more sense.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post