SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying from Orlando to Maryland to buy car and drive back. Various questions.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying from Orlando to Maryland to buy car and drive back. Various questions. Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've done some long distance buys in the past and have either made it into a fun and leisurely road trip or had the car shipped for a few hundred bucks.

If you can't make either of those two work, I'm not sure it's worth the PITA for it to be hard work like you've described. I'd either be patient for something similar/identical closer or just pass.

Too many weird state/local laws up that way to make it worthwhile to me to fly/carry a gun up. Not the least of which is the concern over flight getting diverted to NY/NJ/DC and finding yourself in a real jam.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
$2,200.00, minus

Airfare
Uber
Gas
Food
Hotel(that is one long day)
wear/tear on vehicle
your time (you will be worthless the next day)
Risk/reward (13+ hours on I-95)
= $$$

What is the true "net" savings at the end of the day?

$2200 before costs divided by 60 month car payments = $36 month

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Carmax has a shipping program and I'll bet it's cheaper to do that than go after it yourself.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
yes CarMax can transfer vehicles. you should be able to buy it and have it shipped. It might take a week or so to get it though.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak.com/auto-train

$420, direct from Lorton, VA (near DC) to Sanford, FL (just outside Orlando).

Man, I would be interested in an Auto Train service from home to various national parks.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I flew from Austin to buy my 4Runner at Clearwater Toyota in your back yard. I would call the "internet sales manager" at Clearwater and tell him you are about to hop a plane to Maryland but if he can match their "out the door price", including all fees, you will buy from him.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Setting the cost issues aside, I flew in/out of BWI weekly for @ year with my pistol. I had zero issues.

The only adjustment I had to make was with my carry ammo. MD banned HP ammo - I assume that is still the case. I just had to be sure to pack only fmj. Otherwise I had zero hassles.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Oh I'll be driving straight, a 13 hour drive is a pretty easy drive for me. I'm a very experienced road tripper. No hotel for such a short drive. I won't stay a a hotel unless it's 20+ hours on the drive.

This is a consideration for now. Going to see how much I can get the local dealers to go down.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I flew from Austin to buy my 4Runner at Clearwater Toyota in your back yard. I would call the "internet sales manager" at Clearwater and tell him you are about to hop a plane to Maryland but if he can match their "out the door price", including all fees, you will buy from him.

Jim,

I'm going to e-mail him now.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Why not CarMax in VA, NC, SC, GA, or SC??? Can they not get you the same Deal? Or work out a deal with CarMax in MD and then have it transferred to FL? Highest transfer fee I’ve seen on CarMax is like $599, likely less than your airfare.

Only the MD and WI Carmax sell new Toyota's and they are not transferable.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
There HAS to be a large Toyota dealer closer than Maryland that will give you the same price or better. Has to be.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
There HAS to be a large Toyota dealer closer than Maryland that will give you the same price or better. Has to be.

Hope so. Been sending out requests this morning.

So far the 2 that have gotten back to me are around 4-5% off.

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Oh I'll be driving straight, a 13 hour drive is a pretty easy drive for me. I'm a very experienced road tripper. No hotel for such a short drive. I won't stay a a hotel unless it's 20+ hours on the drive.

This is a consideration for now. Going to see how much I can get the local dealers to go down.

Any thoughts as to the Auto Train?

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try comparing NY dealers! We flew to Orlando, bought a rust free southern car and drove back, all for less than a rust bucket here.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Like others suggested, check closer and factor in the mileage cost to your savings.
The Atlanta area has a competitive auto market, cheap flights from most places and is gun friendly.
Also get the salesman to pick you up at the airport to save a few more bucks.

http://explore.setbuyatoyota.c...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Hope so. Been sending out requests this morning.

So far the 2 that have gotten back to me are around 4-5% off.

Not that I am touting the Toyota dealer here in Manassas, but they are pretty big and even if you have to drive to get the car, it is still not putting you in DC or MD. I would avoid both of those shit holes!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not worth the risk of carrying in MD. If you get stopped your screwed, if you have to use the weapon you are doubly screwed. Car,ax probably opens at 10, early flight will get you there. Any car I have purchased takes at least 2 tp 3 hours for paperwork and prep. So at 1 PM you will be starting your drive. Plan on a stop in SC for the night.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:

MD banned HP ammo - I assume that is still the case.

It is not true and has never been the case.

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Budlum:
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:

MD banned HP ammo - I assume that is still the case.
It is not true and has never been the case.
Maybe Yanert was thinking about NJ?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post