SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ag of Kalifornia does Oklahoma a favor.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ag of Kalifornia does Oklahoma a favor. Login/Join 
posted
Anews article today that the AG of Kalifornia has banned all State government officials from travel to Oklahoma due to what he says is the States LGBT bias and discrimination. This can help ashure Oklahoma that Kalifornia officials woun't be spreading their Liberal/progressive BS that is destroying their state.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Texas too, hopefully.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5971 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The AG, a law enforcement officer, not a law maker, is doing this? Under some existing California state law, then?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the AG's directive, but typically these kinds of things are full of all kinds of waivers and exemptions so that anyone who actually needs to go to OK for state business can do so.

It's most likely all for show - virtue-signalling and PR.

Posts: 6069 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's BS, really.

EDIT: SEE BELOW: California taxpayers are taking a stand against .... BS! Not all tax payers! Many California taxpayers are NOT for any of this BS! JAllen is right, GDC's!

California's attorney general is banning all future state-funded travel to Oklahoma because of a new child placement law that is being criticized there as discriminatory.

The ban goes into effect June 22.

The restriction is unlikely to impact the 2018 OU-UCLA football game in Norman because it was scheduled by contract in 2013.

The Oklahoma Sooners play the Bruins from the University of California, Los Angeles on Sept. 8. The game is expected to be one of the early highlights of the college football season.

The new law allows private adoption and foster care agencies to still get state funding even if they refuse on religious grounds to offer their services to gay couples.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra announced the ban on Friday. He said he acted because of a California law that prohibits state-funded and state-sponsored travel to states with laws that discriminate "on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression."

Oklahoma is the ninth state to be put on the travel ban list since the California law went into effect in 2017.

Gov. Mary Fallin signed the child placement bill May 11, disputing criticism that it was discriminatory. She said the state "will not be in any way restricting current practice allowing LGBTQ individuals and couples" to be foster parents or adopt.

"Other states that have declined the protection to faith-based agencies have seen these agencies close their doors, leaving less options for successful placement of children who need loving parents," the governor said.

The law goes into effect Nov. 1.

"California will not use state resources to support states that pass discriminatory laws," the California AG said Friday. "The law enacted in Oklahoma allows discrimination against LGBTQ children and aspiring LGBTQ parents who must navigate the adoption process. California taxpayers are taking a stand against bigotry and in support of those who would be harmed by this prejudiced policy.”

Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter quickly denounced the ban as politics.

"We're going to brainstorm about it," Hunter told The Oklahoman on Friday. "The attorney general's office will be conferring with other states that have been blacklisted by the California attorney general to determine what legal remedies are available."

He defended the new child placement law, saying "Oklahoma puts the interests of children ahead of political games."

"It is utterly undeniable that our state, like many others, needs more participants in the foster and adoption systems — not less," Hunter said in a news release.

“Senate Bill 1140 encourages increased participation by barring the type of discrimination we have seen in various parts of the country, like Massachusetts, where religious organizations like Catholic Charities have been excluded from the adoption field," Hunter said.

LINK

Posts: 11894 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Now if we could only get all the other states on their ban list, they will stay in Kalifornia and keep their libtard bias there...

Posts: 13831 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a taxpayer in this bankrupt hell, I say ban all .gov persons travel. All of it. Except maybe law enforcement bringing prisoners back. There is nothing a gov employee (ex. LEO) can’t do by real time video conferencing that can’t be done face to face.

Posts: 4824 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So California is divesting from....Oklahoma?

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Texas too, hopefully.

The other states already on the travel ban list are Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.

Posts: 5768 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
They pulled this garbage in Alabama too. Prevented a CA college rocket team to travel to Huntsville for a competition. Eventually, after their stunt was publicized, relief was championed by Homer Hickam and the trip was funded privately and they made the trip.

What a bunch of idiots.

0:01

Posts: 4229 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I would like to see this policy broadened.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29775 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
As a taxpayer in this bankrupt hell, I say ban all .gov persons travel. All of it. Except maybe law enforcement bringing prisoners back. There is nothing a gov employee (ex. LEO) can’t do by real time video conferencing that can’t be done face to face.

Curious, how much of their travel is for the public good, how much is a defacto perk? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
And all of Oklahoma is laughing with delight?

P.S. So am I...

Commifoamia-at the mouth and it's nasty politics can stay in Commifoamia.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Please add Colorado to the list. Thx!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10931 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Sigh. I am really hoping I can hang in long enough for my youngest to finish High School, but Sacramento seems to produce more and more intact male bovine effluent faster and faster. The insanity of this state is beyond belief.

Posts: 6951 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when your AG is a calf.

Posts: 27016 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
There is a law on the book that the AG of California must be an active member of the California Bar for a minimum of five consecutive years before being elected into the position. When moonbeam appointed the current AG, he was on inactive status with the bar for more than 10 years then changed his status to active.

This may account for why so many suits have been filed which first years law students know won't win.

It's also why a suit declaring the AG ineligible for the November election had been filed [by a real attorney].

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14057 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
There is a law on the book that the AG of California must be an active member of the California Bar for a minimum of five consecutive years before being elected into the position. When moonbeam appointed the current AG, he was on inactive status with the bar for more than 10 years then changed his status to active.

This may account for why so many suits have been filed which first years law students know won't win.

It's also why a suit declaring the AG ineligible for the November election had been filed [by a real attorney].

I don’t know about the law exactly, but Xavier Becerra the AG went inactive 1/1/91 and back active 1/1/17.

Add:

According to a news article,

quote:
According to the suit filed in Sacramento County Superior Court by rival candidate Eric Early, Becerra cannot serve because he was listed as “inactive” from 1991 to 2017 in the state bar. State law requires the attorney general to have been “admitted to practice” before the state Supreme Court for five years before taking office. Becerra was admitted to the bar in 1985.

“For almost 26 straight years, he was an inactive member of the state bar,” Early said in an interview. “He does not have what it takes to be the chief legal officer of the state of California.”

But Becerra’s campaign and Brown’s office noted this all has a familiar ring — a judge 11 years ago threw out a lawsuit claiming Brown was ineligible for the office of Attorney General to which he had just been elected because his bar membership was inactive from 1997 to April 2003.

The judge in that 2007 ruling argued that “admission to practice law is separate from the question of ‘active’ or ‘inactive’ membership in the State Bar,” which she called a “purely ministerial” distinction that affects only member dues.

“They made this same frivolous argument after Jerry Brown was elected Attorney General and the courts shut them down and ordered them to pay Brown’s court costs,” Becerra campaign manager Dana Williamson said. “I don’t anticipate a different outcome in this case.”

The state bar says that “only active licensees may practice law in California,” but adds that “inactive licensees have chosen this status voluntarily and may transfer to active at any time upon request.”

Early, however, said the issue has yet to be decided by the state’s high court and that the trial court judge in 2007 also was concerned about reversing the will of voters who already had elected Brown, whereas Becerra has yet to be elected to his office. His lawsuit is being handled by former Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley and asks the court to declare Becerra ineligible and order his name stricken from the November ballot.
Link

It isn’t exactly active upon request and paying dues. Inactive means “not eligible to practice law.” You also have to comply with continuing education requirements.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If a state is not on the banned list from CA, can they apply so CA won’t come to their state too ? Probably have to pay a fee to CA to get on the list, and pay an annual fee to stay banned.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post