SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don’t 3rd party candidates stand a chance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don’t 3rd party candidates stand a chance? Login/Join 
posted
I just voted, and I saw a lot of Libertarian candidates. I’m not super thrilled with Republicans’ spending, and I’m not super thrilled with Democrats.... well anything. I researched Libertarian stances and they are most inline with mine. Small government, solve problems at the lowest level, do what you want as long as it doesn’t effect others. I asked a family member about it and it turned into a Perot rant about how Libertarians are the reason Clinton won.

What say you? Why don’t Libertarians currently stand a chance? Will they be competitive in the future? Are your views more inline with Republicans or Libertarians?

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
For me they just don't present viable candidates. For instance, in my neck of the woods, there's a libertarian running for some office with a last name of Groo. It's running motto is "It's Groo time." Too childish for me.

Secondly, but more importantly, I find libertarians to be isolationists. There will never be a head/leader of any office who is an isolationist. That thought is 18th century. I think Rand Paul's father is a perfect example. Ron Paul.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

It's black and white.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I went down that rabbit hole once.
They do not run a candidate worth a damn.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall Ross Perot running as an Independent in 1992. He didn't stand a chance, but IMO he helped get "Slick Willie" into office.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Well that was part of his goal... or more accurately, to keep Bush out.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the most important things to remember is that the party with the most members in the house or senate gets to choose the chairmen of the various committees.

The (L) will likely never have enough party members to be able to choose the chairman so the (L) drains off republicans leaving the communists with the majority and the committee chairman.

Another reason the (L) rarely amounts to anything is because they have almost no members willing to do the hard work of campaigning or financing the campaign. My impression is the (L) just expects people to vote for it because the (L) exists, kinda like getting a participation trophy.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Not enough people vote for them...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The major parties have developed too much in the way of resources (money, people who will regularly donate money, people who will work for them, both paid and volunteer, name recognition, patronage power, etc.) for any third party to likely overcome.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Winner!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Libertarian values don’t appeal to enough of the population..

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
They have no money to run an effective campaign.

Money/donations equals votes/power.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10499 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I think the primary reason is that most people who would be inclined to vote for a libertarian do not because they feel it's too important to make sure the Democrat doesn't get elected. Every election is the election of a lifetime. Every time we need to keep the evil D out, and therefore vote for the lesser of two evils.

In short, it's a two party system, and to not vote for either of the two feels like a wasted vote, or not participating in the system. That is a challenge for most people.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

What values? Small government? Protecting 2A? Low taxes? Less regulation? Personal freedom?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

I personally would like to see a multi party system. Neither of the current parties is a standout. The President is a Patriot and is bringing most of the Republicans with him and really should win. I could go on but you get the drift - and I don’t want to drift the subject.

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience with Libertarians, quite a few L candidates are pushed by Democrats to pull votes from Republicans.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4338 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
they don't do enough work at the local levels. many of them want to up and run for big offices without every having proved themselves, either as individuals or as a party, by effectively governing at the local level, which are races that they actually do stand a chance of winning.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

What values? Small government? Protecting 2A? Low taxes? Less regulation? Personal freedom?

Or as my brother says libertarians are just Atheist republicans who want to smoke pot and not get busted. I’m neither an atheist and I’ve never smoked pot. But pretty much don’t care what anybody else does either. About the only place I part ways with the Libertarian party is on the open borders. Although true hard core anarcho libertarians would say there should be no borders anywhere and no government so move anywhere you want

Just imagine if Trump had run as an independent. I think he would definitely have drawn enough votes to cause president Hillary.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
they don't do enough work at the local levels. many of them want to up and run for big offices without every having proved themselves, either as individuals or as a party, by effectively governing at the local level, which are races that they actually do stand a chance of winning.
Agreed. They lack the earned experience and grassroots from years of participation.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Yep. They also don't have the years of making contacts and swapping favors that would make it easy for the local GOP to back them in the absence of a viable, or even good, Rep for any given race.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post