SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I eat it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I eat it? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Bought a fresh turkey breast on 12/23.
“Sell by” date is 12/25.
Won’t have time to cook it until 12/30, so I just now put it in the freezer.

Should I eat it?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If it smells fine when you open it, and you cook it properly, it will be fine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12919 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I certainly would. Good news - you can take it back out of the freezer in the morning for it to have time to thaw.

I'm assuming you thawed the first time in fridge as well. If you just plopped it on the counter for a day my answer changes!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12668 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
If it smells fine when you open it, and you cook it properly, it will be fine.

Agreed on this.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course. "Sell by" dates are just that-if the item isn't sold, the retailer donates it to charity. If the charity folks can eat it......

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I've always been under the impression that something is generally edible up to seven days past the "sell by" date.

https://www.eatbydate.com/sell-by-date-definition/

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t ask for most things, but everything I’m reading about fresh turkey says 2 days in the fridge. Maybe 3. Maybe 10 at the most, depending on preparation and pre-purchase conditions.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, eat it.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just don't sell it. Wink

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5498 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If it passes the smell test when you open it up I would.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Not a problem, no worries.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I've always been under the impression that something is generally edible up to seven days past the "sell by" date.

https://www.eatbydate.com/sell-by-date-definition/

In my experience,this doesn't apply to raw meat kept in the fridge.

We stopped freezing meat a couple years ago and just make 2 trips a week to the grocer for fresh food. We've had a few instances of raw meat not even Making it too the sell by date before spoiling.

I find dry brining the meat can help it hold out for a couple extra days.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Eat It. Just Eat it.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Go ahead and laugh, it's good for your blood pressure.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Why not! Just call local authorities first to come in about 4 hrs after you dig in for a welfare check. You never know.

Posts: 5342 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I have always lived by the sniff test method. f it smells "off" boil it to death and feed your pets

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I have always lived by the sniff test method. f it smells "off" boil it to death and feed your pets

Are you sick??? I only feed my dog, dog food. But I certainly wouldn't feed him something I wasn't sure was safe to eat myself.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Are you sick??? I only feed my dog, dog food. But I certainly wouldn't feed him something I wasn't sure was safe to eat myself.

Dogs eat shit and vomit, plus rotten things they find outside. Dogs aren't humans.

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
My wife is a food safety expert. She says it should be good refrigerated for about a week. It will smell if it's bad. If it's spoiled, toss it. If it doesn't smell, you'll be good if it's cooked to internal temp over 165.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post