SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it worth the upgrade to the Kindle Oasis?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth the upgrade to the Kindle Oasis? Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Man, if only they had a way to transfer over your on-device library and folders. Having to sort through all that again isn't great.

I prefer having items I've read stored locally, in folders I've set up. That makes it easier to scroll through things I've got unread online (many of which wife purchased, shared login).

Check out Calibre Library. That's what I use, and it makes it really easy to swap books between devices and even change formats to fit different devices. It's a fantastic program.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Aside from just being a different cable to.use, what does a USB-C connection do that the micro USB doesnt? Not being a smart ass, genuinely asking.

Less fumbling, much higher charging speeds and transfer speeds (not very important with e-readers), considerably more durable than micro USB, and it's been the new "standard" for a number of years now so my e-reader is the only thing I have left that takes micro USB. I would love to not have to keep track of that legacy cable.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Great posts for pros and cons of various Kindle readers. That said, my Kindle Voyage remains "anchored" in a drawer as backup.

What I love about the Fire HD8 Plus that has the Kindle app built in out of the box is that while in the wireless charging dock (sold separately), the Fire automatically goes into "Show Mode" ... time and local weather is displayed and auto dims when no nearby movement is detected by the built in camera. SOooo ... I look at the Fire, see it's cold and rainy out, pick up the Fire and read a book or watch a movie with the built in Prime Video app. Reading at night in bed, battery life isn't an issue. I don't read all night. And when done reading, set an alarm (numerous alarm apps available or use built in alarm) and the Fire wakes me in the morning ... and I know at a glance what the weather is like outside that day ... and see important headline news before getting out of bed ... listen to something over the built in speakers ... and/or maybe read a little from the book I put down last night.

Oh, and when you turn the Fire off, it's O-F-F off, unlike the Kindle that keeps draining the battery ... and the Fire accepts a Micro SD card for greatly expanded memory (up to 512GB ... about enough for all the books in the world but I only have a 128GB card installed). And the Fire is only 8.0" x 5.4" x 0.4" (202 mm x 137 mm x 9.7 mm) and weighs 10.1 oz (286 g). The Oasis is 6.3” x 5.6” x 0.13-.33” (159 x 141 x 3.4-8.4 mm) and weighs 6.6 oz (188g). The size difference isn't an issue for me but may be for some. All that and the Fire is less expensive.

Con: The Fire does a bunch more than just a simple reader and that takes battery life and device size to some degree.

Fire HD 8 ... has Alexa built in so you can make "calls" if the other party has Alexa too. I use a Sonos app to control my Sonos home sound system. And still less expensive than an Oasis and almost at a Paperwhite price. The available wireless charging dock only works with the HD8 PLUS, not the regular HD8.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4841 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info. Thanks all

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post