SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When to harvest string/green/snap beans?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to harvest string/green/snap beans? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Garden updates:

This previously huge looking raised bed is way over crowded. I trimmed out a lot of "zucchini" leaves (more on that in a minute) as they were totally blocking all light to the strawberries.

I also heavily trimmed back the tomato plants. They were a serious mess. I was pretty aggressive after watching some YouTube videos. Hopefully I wasn't too harsh with them. I didn't have enough cages so the ones in the back are laying down. I need to get them staked ASAP. They are starting to set more and more fruit, so I'm hopeful.

The pepper plants are starting to pick it up too. The side showing in the picture get more sun and are standing tall and proud. They are the yellow bells. Behind those are red bells and jalapeños. They are NOT standing well at all and I wonder if they aren't getting enough light?

Corn is vigorous but I don't see any actual corn yet. Not sure when that is supposed to happen.

Green beans are chugging along very well, strawberries are meh. With so many local strawberry stands in this area I probably won't try again. Not getting enough return justify a full quarter of my available space.

Now, the "zucchini". As you can see it's going hog-wild. Lots of production. Just check out these pictures of my "zucchini":

Now, I'm no farmer but I don't think these are conventional green zucchini like the tag says. Once it became obvious they weren't green I thought they must be the bright yellow buckingham zucchini. Now that they are harvestable I see the shape and figure they must be straightneck yellow squash. The color seems to match better too.

I don't love squash. I really don't love 4 plants worth of squash. I was hoping to make zuchhini breads and zucchini pasta. Nope.

Maybe a squash chili?

Posts: 6450 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Can anyone help me out with how to know when to harvest corn??

Posts: 6450 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

It's usually kinda obvious. Once they get 7-9" long and about as big around as you can wrap your hand in the middle you can pick. If you're unsure just pull back the husk a little and see if the kernels are plump and all or most of the way to the tip. Still unsure, pick one and pull the husk off.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of ways to cook yellow squash. I usually will slice it up along with some onion and peppers and lightly sauté it. You can also slice it lengthwise, season to taste and grill. Drizzle a little olive oil over it when done. You can make a casserole mixing sliced squash, peppers, potatoes, and onion. Season, mix, place in oven safe dish, dot with butter. Cook at 350 until almost done (30-45 min). Top with a breadcrumb, cheese and butter mixture and brown.

BTW, I prefer to pick my squash when it is a little bit younger than those in the picture appear to be. Maybe a day earlier?

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

It's usually kinda obvious. Once they get 7-9" long and about as big around as you can wrap your hand in the middle you can pick. If you're unsure just pull back the husk a little and see if the kernels are plump and all or most of the way to the tip. Still unsure, pick one and pull the husk off.

Thanks. I've never grown corn before so I apologize for the seemingly silly questions. Here is another one: Once I harvest whatever ears there are on a stalk, that stalk is done and can be removed, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
Lots of ways to cook yellow squash. I usually will slice it up along with some onion and peppers and lightly sauté it. You can also slice it lengthwise, season to taste and grill. Drizzle a little olive oil over it when done. You can make a casserole mixing sliced squash, peppers, potatoes, and onion. Season, mix, place in oven safe dish, dot with butter. Cook at 350 until almost done (30-45 min). Top with a breadcrumb, cheese and butter mixture and brown.

BTW, I prefer to pick my squash when it is a little bit younger than those in the picture appear to be. Maybe a day earlier?

I have been harvesting them a bit younger than that first batch. Those ones snuck up on me. I'm currently pulling 2-3 every few days.

We've been cooking them up in a casserole sort of dish... Boiling cut squash and then combining with an egg, some breadcrumbs, dash of sugar, and diced onion and baking, with a breadcrumb topping. It's actually quite good. I've been thinking it would go very well half squash/half corn.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
In my experience, yes once you pull off the ears the stalk is done. I usually just leave them and grind them up at the end of the season though.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
In my experience, yes once you pull off the ears the stalk is done. I usually just leave them and grind them up at the end of the season though.

Well, I'm working with a raised bed and I think I have enough time to do a second crop of corn where the current ones are if I remove them. Gonna start some more from seed inside now that should be ready for transplant in a few weeks.