SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are padlocks a joke? Dissuasive?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are padlocks a joke? Dissuasive? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Was watching The Patient (Steve Carrell) with the missus. Hating every second of it, and the guy was chained with a hefty padlock.

I remember i had a door with a not to impressive padlock and no key. Then the janitor suggested i use a hammer. Padlock met hammer and it didn’t do well. Made me wonder….

Since in my city tied bikes have a tendency to vanish i wonder what’s the use of a padlock.

?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12089 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
There are better quality locks.
Take a look at PacLock

also the LockPickingLawyer on YoutTube for product tests. He can be brutal on sub-standard products.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Keeps the unprepared and some rookies from stealing stuff.

If they are determined, the lock won't slow 'em down much.

Posts: 9108 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Padlock will keep an honest person honest, that's it.

Imagine walking past a home. Imagine that on the doorstep, there is a small amount of money just sitting there. An honest person walking by would be tempted, just this once, to take the money and run.

Now, imagine the money is in a sealed envelope, or perhaps in a wrapped box, unseen to the passerby. An honest person would walk by, not interested in taking something that is not theirs.

This is what a padlock does. It merely prevents honest people from being tempted by an opportunity.

Both an envelope and a padlock is easily defeated by a thief.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an expert onboard. Hopefully he will chime in.

Posts: 17168 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
As they say, "locks are only there to keep honest people, honest".

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
Take a look at PacLock

also the LockPickingLawyer on YoutTube for product tests. He can be brutal on sub-standard products.

I'll admit I've only seen a few videos, but he's trying to "pick" most locks right?

I don't think a padlock would slow anyone down with appropriately sized bolt cutters, two large wrenches, or an angle grinder.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at PacLock

As one who fell victim to a burglar who knew how to pick locks, I have to wonder how many burglars the lockpickinglawyer has trained.

I'd prefer he stop, but it is what it is.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
In the Navy we would two open-ended wrenches to defeat locks which keys were lost. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
In the Navy we would two open-ended wrenches to defeat locks which keys were lost. Wink

In the Marines, we would use the wrenches to defeat the locks on things we needed Big Grin
(Just not from the Seabees!)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8315 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Take a look at PacLock

I'll admit I've only seen a few videos, but he's trying to "pick" most locks right?

I don't think a padlock would slow anyone down with appropriately sized bolt cutters, two large wrenches, or an angle grinder.

He demonstrates many weaknesses. Bumping, slapping, prying, ...

I agree that bolt cutters, wrenches, and grinders will do the job. But at least a person using those looks like a thief.

If you can stick a pen cap into a lock to open it thats something the owner should know.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Go to youtube and watch the lock picking lawyer. Y

Nothing is safe with the right person.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16375 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
One of the classes I used to teach at the fire academy I worked at was forcible entry.
When it came to pad locks I would tell my students to look at what the pad lock was attached to, what kind of hasp.
In most cases you could have an expensive lock on a $2.00 hasp. I would tell them to attack the hasp before attacking the lock.
All it took was the pick end of a Halligan bar and a flat head ax. Place the pick next to the lock shackle and hit the opposite side with the flat head ax,locked door open.

For the puck style locks we used a three foot pipe wrench and twisted them off.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2552 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I would guess that a battery-powered angle grinder and a $2 cut-off wheel might make even the most studly padlock superfluous.

Posts: 6392 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop I went to a class given by the hose draggers about forced entry. I learned many different ways to break locks. My dad taught me that a 24” pipe wrench works too.

I kept a pair of bolt cutters (36”), a two pound hammer and a chisel, a slim Jim and a short Halligan bar in my trunk of the police car.

I learned to pick locks a decade ago and couldn’t pick one now as I never did it, it’s easier to force them.

The best locks I ever encountered were MEDECO locks in the service, we used them for the magazines and armories. Short of a grinder and some water you weren’t getting into them. We tried to cut a lock on an outside magazine that had two locks and it was quicker to grind off the welds of the hasp then try and cut thru the lock.

Locks just keep out decent people.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I dunno. Long ago I used this ABUS padlock to protect my pretty expensive bicycle. It was never stolen.

https://a.co/d/90b6UIm

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8841 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some locks are far worse than others. Some of the Master lock padlocks that we have tons of at work, all the same series, just the act of inserting a pick is enough to open them. Everyone is amazed at how great I am at picking the locks. Roll Eyes I'll put the tools in their hands, say turn that just a little... now put the pick in the keyway... and pop it's open. And they're shocked. I say "yeah, so don't use them on anything important."

Posts: 21045 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I'd prefer he stop, but it is what it is.

Meh. When I was still in high school (before the interwebz was too much more than AOL), I took a mail order locksmithing course from Foley-Belsaw (remember them?).

Through the magic of the post office, over a few short months, I stopped seeing most doors as barriers.

It doesn't take a lot to learn how it all works.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
or an angle grinder.

Like a hot knife through butter. The advent of battery powered tools that are close if not on par to their corded equivalents has made thievery much easier.

I’m thankful for the YouTube videos as they show real world vulnerabilities of systems that give people a false sense of security. Take these two trailer locks for example:

Which one will slow a thief down better?

The best deadbolt in the world doesn’t do much if the door has a 6’x3’ glass panel.

Posts: 10808 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Imagine walking past a home. Imagine that on the doorstep, there is a small amount of money just sitting there. An honest person walking by would be tempted, just this once, to take the money and run.

Well, we clearly have opposite definitions of what an honest person is.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post