SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things to do in New Orleans in late October?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do in New Orleans in late October? Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
Gonna be in town for a wedding... GF and I are thinking of spending a few extra days in the city to see the sights. Would be coming later in the day on a Thursday and leaving monday morning.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
National WW2 Museum
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

Sweet. Good idea.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Eat some crawfish drink some beer, grab a few Hurricanes at Pat O'Brians, listen to Jazz in Preservation Hall, stumble through the quarter to Cafe Du Monde, grab some coffee and Bignets and try to get to your hotel before the sun comes up, sleep, get up late, have a big brunch, nap, restart....

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
New Orleans is never closed. You can do all the things all year.

Eat good chow, drink. Go to one of the old fashioned places like Galatoire's (my favorite), Commander's Palace, or Antoine's.

Listen to music.

WWII Museum.

Take a tour out through the Garden District. It's easy, just ride the St. Charles streetcar. Costs $1.25.

Gamble if you like to gamble.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Audobon Aquarium

Camelia Grille

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Audobon Aquarium

Camelia Grille

The aquarium is a good idea. I forgot about it. They have a good one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Food: Commander's Palace, Mr. B's Bistro, Upperline, Emeril's, GW Fins, Cafe Du Monde for Cafe Au Lait and beignets, Central Grocery for muffaletta sandwiches.

Plenty of nightclubs for jazz and blues, depending on who is playing. its hard to go wrong.

I agree on the WWII museum. It is worth the time.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We like the 'Hop on, Hop off' bus from the Visitors Center. Nice tour that is narrated.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Kevin, just a couple points:

-New Orleans is a dirty city. The food is outstanding, as is the music, but the Quarter is unkempt and bawdy. Take it for what it is and you will probably enjoy it. Expect it to be more than that and it will dampen your trip.

-Speaking of the Quarter, keep your wits about you and do not wander too deep into it. If you go far enough, you will notice a point where the crowds thin and the streets get dark. Sometimes tourists, especially those with a couple of drinks under their belts, will not pay attention to their surroundings venture into the rough area. I know you are a cop and big boy, but this can still catch people off guard.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the Oak Alley Tour....a great tour. Mid=day go to the Central Grocery down in the "quarter', and have the best muffalata you will ever have. The flea market is fun also. 3 Sisters for breakfast/brunch.

Posts: 6630 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
National WW2 Museum

Absolutely a "Must See". Don't miss the movie "Beyond all Boundaries" and the Boeing Center.

Have a Great Trip

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
The Marigny is more my taste than the French Quarter. Great music in every bar on Frenchmen Street. The Frenchmen Hotel is my favorite place to stay. Take a bike tour with Confederacy of Cruisers. It's a great way to see the city. Small groups and you get a little bit of everything.

There are so many good restaurants, you really can't go wrong. I like Atchafalaya in the Garden District and Bayonna in the Quarter.

I miss New Orleans. It's my favorite American city.

Posts: 395 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
National WW2 Museum

Sweet. Good idea.

PT-305. Deck tours available. In for maintenance in January - rides resume 2/16.

Wasn't one of our Forum members involved in the restoration of that? Yep, here he is:

https://sigforum.com/eve/person...profile&u=9331030311

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3765 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
They also have (or used to have) a good zoo.

There's a really good restaurant across the street from the projects, I can't recall the name right now.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I think the WWII museum would top the list.

The Audubon Aquarium and Zoo are both really nice.

There are also a couple of riverboat cruises.

Maybe catch a Saints game. I hear the officiating is top notch. Big Grin

As far as the Quarter goes be careful. I don't go there at night anymore but I do have to go there to service atm's at times.

After servicing an atm one day I was walking past the corner of Bourbon and Nicholls street when I noticed 4 tourists in the middle of the street. One of them approached me and asked "Can you tell me where Bourbon Street is?" I replied, "You're on it!" He looked puzzled. I then pointed down the street and told him "All the action is in that direction."
He didn't realize they were in the residential section of the quarter.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Port of call for a great hamburger

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Don't spend more than 30 mins on Bourbon Street.

Go hear live music - not on Bourbon Street. Frenchman street is great.

Explore the french quarter.

Check out Uptown - Tulane, Audubon Park/Zoo.

Walk around the Garden District. Explore Magazine street.

Don't worry about Bourbon Street.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcl1960:
Port of call for a great hamburger

+1

This is near Frenchman Street, where every night there is live music.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Take the Oak Alley Tour....a great tour. Mid=day go to the Central Grocery down in the "quarter', and have the best muffalata you will ever have. The flea market is fun also. 3 Sisters for breakfast/brunch.

Mostly this (I'm not big on shopping)

Looks like you might be in town for VooDooFest if you like music this is better (in terms of less crowd and less heat/humidity) than Jazz Fest.

quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
***snip***

PT-305. Deck tours available. In for maintenance in January - rides resume 2/16.

Wasn't one of our Forum members involved in the restoration of that? Yep, here he is:

https://sigforum.com/eve/person...profile&u=9331030311

Yep... if you can afford it take the ride. It's pretty cool.

https://pt305.org/

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post