SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Communications during and following Hurricane Irma ????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Communications during and following Hurricane Irma ???? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Following Katrina in Mississippi, the only reliable form of communication was a telephone landline that worked continuously.

I'm not sure you can get a new landline (POTS) service everywhere now days. Most of the newer neighborhoods around here are not even wired for them. It's all cable and/or FIOS with no new wiring for analog land-line.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11105 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
Ham radio is a lifesaver.

I looked at receivers a while ago and then back burnered the idea. It seems like something with transmit capabilities is the way to go. Are handheld units any good or do you need more power?

It really depends on your area, what repeaters are operating and where you are relative to them (distance and intervening terrain). Many handhelds have selectable transmit power levels, allowing you to dial back the power and battery consumption when you don't need the full output of the radio and then kick it up when you get into a more iffy area.

Of course if the repeaters go down due to wind damage or power outage, the whole system fails unless there's a backup repeater designated. There are simplex frequencies that don't rely on repeaters, but they're strictly line-of-sight transmission.

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Following Katrina in Mississippi, the only reliable form of communication was a telephone landline that worked continuously.

I'm not sure you can get a new landline (POTS) service everywhere now days. Most of the newer neighborhoods around here are not even wired for them. It's all cable and/or FIOS with no new wiring for analog land-line.

Also copper line service is the last to be repaired as it is considered a low priority legacy system.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
About 4% of almost 8000 cell towers in the path of Harvey went offline. Carriers have learned a lot since Katrina. AT&T and Verizon staged fuel trucks along the path to refuel generators powering the cell towers in case power was lost. They also used drones to inspect for tower damage if the ground was flooded.

That is encouraging, but apparently Puerto Rico lost most of its cell towers according to news reports. Harvey was flooding except for where the center made landfall. Irma will be both.

Am I correct in assuming that the communication system in Puerto Rico is not on a par with the Florida and the Gulf Coast??

I'd say that San Juan has way less pull than an enormous metro areas like Houston and Corpus Christi. Read that some Verizon cell towers went down because the above ground fiber lines were cut.. Verizon went about putting in direct microwave links to towers than still have fiber access, and quickly brought those towers back online.

Whether Florida cities pulling same weight as Houston remains to be seen but I would imagine that while not as bad as San Juan, it won't be quick like Houston because many of carriers' resources are still repairing structures in Houston. Crews and resources must be spread real thin by these successive storms.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say that San Juan has way less pull than an enormous metro areas like Houston and Corpus Christi. Read that some Verizon cell towers went down because the above ground fiber lines were cut.. Verizon went about putting in direct microwave links to towers than still have fiber access, and quickly brought those towers back online.

Whether Florida cities pulling same weight as Houston remains to be seen but I would imagine that while not as bad as San Juan, it won't be quick like Houston because many of carriers' resources are still repairing structures in Houston. Crews and resources must be spread real thin by these successive storms.

Thanks. One of the reasons I have had landlines for my office since 1980 has been the fact that they functioned through numerous hurricanes. We were without essential services for weeks after Katrina, but one of my office lines worked without fail. On the other hand, cable service for the internet and tv was out for months after Katrina.

My DSL service was essentially intact. My office was not subject to the incredible 27 foot storm surge so that made a difference. The repairs in flooded areas took months with the exposure to salt water.

Thank you Sig Monkey for the information. I am hoping they beefed up the strength of the cell towers and infrastructure here.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Last year here in Louisiana with our historic flood AT&T cellphones went to hell. We used our 2 meter repeater.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Plus monthly fees.

You could do pre-pay and leave it in your B.O.B.

I don't think they do that with sat phones.

Actually, I believe they do now.

-Rob

They all do, due to coverage I am looking at Immarsat, they have started to run deals like cell phone companies. You can get a phone under $200 with a yearly plan, the cheapest is around $100 a month.

I am going to rent one first to see if I have LOS from my living room. Kinda doubt it as it faces NE.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

I called Spectrum (NE Texas) and they only offer VOIP.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Last year here in Louisiana with our historic flood AT&T cellphones went to hell. We used our 2 meter repeater.

After being in the business for just shy of 25 years I can tell you...never depend on cell coverage.

Even if they have generators you will not get more than 72 hours from a tank of fuel more like 48. And most sites are now fed by fiber which is more fragile than copper. The only carrier that has generators at most of their sites is sprint the other carriers only install them in areas of high importance of places that lose power often.

Also remember all the carriers have reduced field staff so even if they can get all the generators they would need they do not have enough personnel to connect them. And getting vendors in can be difficult especially with companies like AT&T which are Union. Also the amount of tower teams are finite and the amount of GOOD tower teams are even more finite so if you also lose an antenna or the coax getting stripped of the tower you are SOL as none of the carriers have organic teams.

Also towers, depending on jurisdiction are designed to withstand winds from 100-140 mph, if the structurals are updated properly....a couple of rogue ant or mw dishes and that goes out the window.

I am moving to one of the largest tower companies on the 18th....I expect my first couple of months with be spent in recovery as Houston falls squarely in my Region and the company is HQ'ed out of Boca.

Disaster recovery can be exciting....just get sites back on air and move to the next, money is no object and it is an all hands on deck operation.....maybe they will even let a Director out of the office Wink

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've been threatening to take the technician license for a bit. I've got two ham books that I've been pursuing for a few months, and have looked up the test dates a few times, but...inertia...

At the technician level, if I wanted to communicate to Florida, say 500 miles, would I be limited to Morse code over HF unless I upgraded to General? Or do technicians have access to any voice transmissions that would reliably make that? Barring some miracle alignment of repeaters.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They don't even test Morse code anymore....

Posts: 664 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My friend posted this on FB today:
quote:
As we prepare for the hurricane make sure to downloand the app "zello walkie talkie" it is an app that the people used in Texas after the hurricane.

In case of no service the app allows you to communicate with your friends and family.

You can find it in app store for iphone users and play store for android users.

I've personally never used it, but if it works it sounds like a great solution post hurricane.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've personally never used it, but if it works it sounds like a great solution post hurricane.

Apparently you have to have internet or wi fi for it to function.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well obviously.

Not sure how this is a solution if there is no cell service.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:

Correct, but at the technician level license you can only do Morse code on most or all of the high frequency frequencies that allow long distance communication.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

Well obviously.

It's been sold (figuratively) as a way to communicate without service but the developers clarified the fact that you do need cellular or wifi. I think some folks are still confused about it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

Well obviously.

It's been sold (figuratively) as a way to communicate without service but the developers clarified the fact that you do need cellular or wifi. I think some folks are still confused about it.
Y'all are too quick to poo poo this app.

During Hurricane Ike, I had landline and DSL service the entire time after the hurricane so if this was available it would've worked in my 2 story house and yard.

I never lost cell service during Hurricane Harvey, but I didn't know about the app. However, countless people used it during and in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey including the Cajun Navy and Harvey Animal Rescue.
quote:
Walkie-talkie app Zello becomes No. 1 in anticipation of Hurricane Irma

Friday, September 08, 2017 06:58PM
Hurricane Harvey rescuers turned to walkie-talkie app Zello while working to save thousands trapped by floodwaters last week.

As Hurricane Irma runs through the Caribbean and approaches Florida, downloads of the app have surged, making it the top app in iTunes and Google Play.

Zello is a free walkie-talkie app that can be used on smartphones, tablets or PCs. The app uses cells data service or Wi-Fi to make your device into a two-way radio. It requires less bandwidth than a phone call, meaning the walkie-talkie will often work when calls won't go through.

Hoping to dispel misinformation, Zello has warned that internet service, either through Wi-Fi or cellular data, is necessary to use the app.

Zello has also warned that the app uses a lot of battery power. It is recommended to have an external battery or power source. If your phone has low battery, Zello recommends turning off the app and enabling push notifications when it is not in use.

During Harvey rescue efforts, groups like the Louisiana Cajun Navy instructed those needing help after Hurricane Harvey to download the app saying, "The best source of communication at this time is the Zello walkie-talkie app."

quote:
Hurricane Irma boosts downloads of walkie-talkie app Zello

Brett Molina, USA TODAY Published 10:06 a.m. ET Sept. 7, 2017 | Updated 12:08 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2017

The go-to app during rescue efforts in Houston following Hurricane Harvey is rising in popularity as Hurricane Irma speeds toward Florida.

Zello, a walkie-talkie app where users can push a button to talk to any one through a cellular or Wi-Fi connection, is the most popular free app on both Android and iOS app stores.

According to mobile app research firm App Annie, Zello moved to the top spot on Apple's store Tuesday, then reached the top of Google Play on Wednesday.

Zello was among the key tools used by rescuers to help victims of Hurricane Harvey in Houston. Last week, Zello CEO Bill Moore said 20 times as many new users in Houston were on the app compared to the previous week.

"It’s centered on live voice," said Moore. "Our voice is how we most naturally communicate. A few seconds of voice has so much information on emotion, education, gender, what part of the country are they from."

How it works

Once users create an account, they explore a variety of channels to join and chat. In the case of Harvey rescue efforts, channels such as the Cajun Navy Dispatch and Harvey Animal Rescue appeared where users could quickly push a button to talk and seek help.

There is some potential for confusion as users parse which channels are linked to official rescue groups. Recently, a channel for Texas Search and Rescue was pulled after the official group claimed their logo and name were misused, said Moore.

The technology for Zello dates back to 2007, and saw boosts in use during global uprisings, including ones in Egypt and the Ukraine, as well as protests in Venezuela. Zello was blocked during several of these events, most recently in Russia in April.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Tatortodd-I'm not poopooing, just pointing out the fact that people thought it worked without cellular or wifi.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
GETS card with *272 priority access Smile

Still depends on at least some of the infrastructure working.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11105 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:

Correct, but at the technician level license you can only do Morse code on most or all of the high frequency frequencies that allow long distance communication.

With a technician license you can do SSB voice on a small part of the 10 meter band and Morse on limited parts of the 10m, 15m, 40m, and 80m bands.

You can't transmit at all on 160m, 60m, 30m, 20m, 17m, or 12m.

Technician license holders are also limited to 200 watts on all the HF bands while higher licenses can use 1500.

The general license test is not much harder than the technician one.

Of course, in an emergency, I guess all that goes out the window.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post