SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amelia Island and Hilton Head Island, anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amelia Island and Hilton Head Island, anyone? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Been to HH in July 2019. Beach was nice, but busy. Local traffic was very heavy. Stayed at a HH Marriott Resort(rewards member), that was in need of major renovation.
My kids and I have Celiac disease, so nothing around us had gluten-free dinner options. We had to use the car everyday for eating.
Water might be a bit too cool in May for swimming, but the locals would know better. Crowds could be much less in May
We traveled down from PA, and felt it was too far a drive to do again. Myrtle Beach is a few hours closer to us, and VA beach for a much shorter drive.

P229R - 9mm
Kahr PM9

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocono Mountains, PA | Registered: April 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Petr: Happy new year. I hope Mrs Petr had a good trip. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
make a small detour to stop at Jekyll Island (just south of St. Simons) and visit Driftwood Beach (with stark dead trees and driftwood matching the name) and the Georgia Sea Turtle Center.

quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
we avoid Destin like the plague in the summer or during spring break. Paradise lost.

I can picture a place like that becoming way too rowdy during those times.

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Folly B and Sullivans I. and Isle of Palms around Charleston are great, too, and would cut off an 1-2 hours of your drive.

Thank you. I'll look into those as well. We've talked about Charleston, but it seems "not beachy." Not that there's anything wrong with that.... Smile

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I'd be happy to offer any specific advice if you'd like.

Thank you. I'll likely be in touch soon.

quote:
Originally posted by TheBull:
Water might be a bit too cool in May for swimming, but the locals would know better.

That's a good point. 6guns, how's the water in May?

quote:
Originally posted by TheBull:
Crowds could be much less in May
We traveled down from PA, and felt it was too far a drive to do again. Myrtle Beach is a few hours closer to us, and VA beach for a much shorter drive.

We've each been to Myrtle a number of times. It's a bit of a bummer to hear it referred to now as "the dirty Myrt." My last trip to Virginia beach was memorable for the wrong reasons... I probably won't see that one again.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:

Many times, for a 3 day stay, we will park the car at Omni and never touch it again until we leave. Their breakfast buffet is amazing. We hang at the pool or beach all day. The kids play, we relax when they are not making us play with them. For dinner, steak night at Marche Barrett is my favorite, sitting lakeside, usually live music. I can feel my body relax as I type that.

They have a nature center also. And putt putt. And other activates. And golf. And tons of trails that can be hiked.

I have work at the Omni next month, thinking about taking a couple of extra days and take the GF with me. 3rd week in February; will it be cold there? Where to go for great but not fancy seafood? We'll have a rental car, but prefer to walk or Uber since we might be drinking a wee bit.

aileron

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:

I have work at the Omni next month, thinking about taking a couple of extra days and take the GF with me. 3rd week in February; will it be cold there? Where to go for great but not fancy seafood? We'll have a rental car, but prefer to walk or Uber since we might be drinking a wee bit.

aileron

February weather can be hit or miss. You might get completely clear blue skies, but highs around 40 degrees. Or you could get highs in the 60's, but overcast and rain. Just no way to predict.

I know they have a seafood restaurant on property, but I have tried so few of the restaurants. They used to have a shrimp / crab boil at Marche Barrett on Friday nights, but it went away with COVID and has not returned. If you stay on property, which is hundreds and hundreds of acres, they have shuttles that will take you everywhere. That is really nice, walk out the lobby, hop in shuttle, get dropped at restaurant, then returned back to lobby after dinner.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a good point. 6guns, how's the water in May?

It's around 70 degrees that time of year. On a hot day I think that would feel pretty good. Last time I went swimming there was in November on a ~mid 70's air degree day. The water felt very cold to me, but I still enjoyed body surfing some serious waves.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
We live on SSI now, been here since 2017. Folks are right about the water, lots of natural debris/whatever from the marshes. Very rich in nutrients which is why our shrimp are so good! But I don’t really think about here as a resort area, although lots of others do.

We love Amelia and Fernandina Beach. The water is more Florida like, although in May it might still be chilly. We’ve never stayed overnight but the Omni seems like the place to stay. Definitely got to FB for restaurants and there’s a decent brewery downtown too.

As to Jekyll, it’s nice but not sure I’d detour off 95 unless you were staying the night or weren’t in a rush to get to Amelia. If you do have time or are considering it, there also the JI Inn supposedly where the FDIC was thought up by a bunch of rich folks.

Any questions, let me know!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
Any questions, let me know!

Thank you!

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Jekyll Island, GA. Dog friendly, not commercialized. Small time feel, nice beaches. Jumping off point to several spots in NE FL if you don't mind a smallish-medium day trip.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you all for your responses. We've talked some this afternoon about it and are starting to look at Amelia Island instead.

Any particular recommendations in the area?

I recently attended a boondoggle at the Ritz Carlton. It was very nice, but I wasn't paying for it. I also didn't spend any time away from the resort so have no recommendation there. But the whole place is beautiful.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post