SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    B-52 bombers arrive in UK – EXCELLENT photos
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B-52 bombers arrive in UK – EXCELLENT photos Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My brother and I were way up north in Canada fishing 30+ years ago. I remember sitting in the boat and all of a sudden a huge shadow swept across us. I looked up and a B52, on a low level traing run, passed directly over us at what seemed like 50 feet.

Absolutely awe inspiring.

While stationed on Okinawa, B52’s temporarily flew out of Kadena due to being displaced by a Typhoon. I remember watching them take off for bombing runs over North Vietnam with bombs hanging everywhere on under their wings.

I also watched SR71’s takeoff and land.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Music to my ears.........reminds me of growing up close to Castle Air Force Base in California during the Cold War. The sound of the B52s was constant throughout the day. Sound of freedom in my book.

Posts: 316 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Hey mas4363 -
quote:
I also watched SR71’s takeoff and land.

The Rock - 70-72 - We lived across the street from Gate 1 - Saw many come in and take off - amazing - Only saw one B52 - it was an amazing day - I think I still have some Super 8 movies.

These are some fantastic photos. Salute to those who are serving now.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
It completely blows my mind that something that huge can get off the ground and fly through the air.

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No B-52 Discussion is complete without adding a Elephant Walk MITO video.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smRyl-Ncv-I

I added another one Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ7niLYSVFo

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I was there for 18 months, 71 - 72. I was stationed across the bay at Tori Station. Worked at the Comm Center inside the Wullen Webber (dont remember the spelling) Antenna Array.

You would have been there when we got bullseyed by the Typhoon. The eye passed by directly overhead.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories of the Christmas offensive over North Vietnam in Dec 72 when occassionally one of those 52s would divert to Danang air base due to battle damage sustained over the north. Seems like yesterday!!

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Many G models and all B-52H models were built here. I had an uncle who was working at Boeing at the time, he didn’t have a car, so we would pick him up from work, occasionally. The factory runway was on the west side, while McConnell AFB was (still is) on the east side, they were in the Wild Weasel business at the time, flying the F-105G in that role. It was great, Thunderchiefs blasting out on training flights with a B-52 launching out on a delivery or shakedown flight every so often. Big Grin

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Living in OKC I’m lucky to occasionally see B-52s , B2’s and other AF planes on Approach and Departing Tinker AFB. One needs to be in the Midwest City area to see them. Recently I was near the south end of Tinker when I hear a roar, looked up and saw a B2 on final. I almost jumped up and down hollering and clapping but I managed to contain myself. Man oh man what a beautiful sexy beast.

It’s always wonderful to see and hear the sights and sounds of America’s Military protecting our freedom.

BTW Tinker has a US Navy squadron stationed there, always fun to see them flying around. They’re TACAMO aircraft.

Anybody ever stationed at Tinker?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post