SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Credit Card Companies raising rates on long time multi million dollar clients
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card Companies raising rates on long time multi million dollar clients Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted
I was at the Ford dealer today and when I went to pay they asked me if I was using Credit or Debit, as they now had to charge 3% to use Credit cards. I asked the guy why the sudden change - he said that Ford used to be charged .8 % due to their volumes, but that the CC companies are now upping the rates regardless of the volume. Ford considered the lower rate as just the cost of doing business, but now they have decided to pass it along to the customer directly instead of hiding it in pricing schemes. I like that as I would rather have the choice.
I wonder if all the fraud that the CC companies just seem to write off is catching up with them?

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4010 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
My dentist is now charging about 3% to use either a debit or credit card.

So I had them do all the work yesterday and then gave them cash. It took them quite awhile to make the change. I’m hoping if enough people force them to bring their checkout system to a halt to make proper change then perhaps they will drop the nonsense.

The alternative is to take business elsewhere. But the medical industry seems to think they have everyone by the short curlies

Posts: 53849 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Ten years ago I tried to pay $25K for the balance on a new car.
The dealer wouldn't do it - they didn't want to lose that much to the credit card percentage.
The most they would take on a card was $3K.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Everyone is now charging extra for using a credit card it seems. 3-5%

I foresee a big smackdown of these credit card companies coming.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Everyone is now charging extra for using a credit card it seems.
That's far from true.

Posts: 109159 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding that the big credit companies like Visa and Mastercard had rules that a vendor could not charge a fee to use the card. Some got around that by offering a "cash discount". I know my local gun stores do that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Ten years ago I tried to pay $25K for the balance on a new car.
The dealer wouldn't do it - they didn't want to lose that much to the credit card percentage.
The most they would take on a card was $3K.
When my wife bought her RAV4, she was just going to write a check to pay for it. The paperwork guy at the Toyota dealer told her that she could put up to $5,000 on her cash-back card, so she did.

Similarly, when I bought my Escape, the Ford dealer accepted $7,000 on my cash-back card.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

It was my understanding that the big credit companies like Visa and Mastercard had rules that a vendor could not charge a fee to use the card.
That was true years ago, but I believe that policy has been rescinded.

I checked with VISA when a local Roadside Service company added an exorbitant credit card fee to a bill for changing a tire. VISA told me that the surcharge could not exceed the actual fee that VISA charged to the merchant. I emailed the merchant with that information from VISA and told the merchant that they needed to reduce the surcharge that they had billed me, to no more than the VISA fee in order to be in compliance with their merchant agreement. They gave me a nastily worded reply, but they refunded the complete surcharge; they didn't even retain the amount that they could have kept.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was my understanding that the big credit companies like Visa and Mastercard had rules that a vendor could not charge a fee to use the card. Some got around that by offering a "cash discount". I know my local gun stores do that.

2013 class action lawsuit changed all of that, and it's currently only illegal in a few states.

Outside of that, what's wrong with somebody who's accepting payment for goods or services adjusting those charges based upon your payment method? Restaurants are really good examples. You get your bill and pay with a CC including tip. The restaurant then has to pay 3% for what you owe them, 3% for the tip that goes to your waiter, and 3% for the taxes that go to the government (who by the way, also charges to use a CC to pay any monies owed to them).

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Right, but many also now don't want to accept cash. Cashless is the new "thing". Roll Eyes

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Unless they're giving you a cash discount, you are already paying the merchant fees. They're built into the prices for everyone. If they need to raise their prices, then raise the prices. I really don't care to read line items. I care about my out-the-door price.

Posts: 3691 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Right, but many also now don't want to accept cash. Cashless is the new "thing". Roll Eyes

If they don,t take cash and try to charge me 3% fee it will be the last time I go there.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 332 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they don,t take cash and try to charge me 3% fee it will be the last time I go there.

They already are, they just aren't listing it as a separate charge.

quote:
merchant fees. They're built into the prices for everyone.

That's not exactly true. I'll generally accept a credit card without issue for a small charge up to a few hundred dollars. But let's say a get a customer that's spending $20,000. That's going to cost me $600. Why should I be expected eat that, or raise my prices for all of my cash/check customers to make up for it?

The credit card user is generating the expense, so why shouldn't the credit card user be responsible for it?

Let me give you another example unrelated to credit cards. When I do out of town work it is quoted at a rate plus expenses. Let's say there's toll roads to get to you. You pay those tolls, I don't mark up my rates to spread my toll expenses to all of my other customers.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If I was a business doing a lot of smaller transactions and handling cash, I'd rather eat the three percent and have the money go straight into my account without the worries (mistakes & theft) and costs in employee time as that would be less costly to me.
In my business, I have many sales that are high dollar but low margin so I only take checks. The three percent would really hurt.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In July 2022, I charged almost $12,000 on my cash back credit card for a new motorcycle.

The price was the same for cash, check, or credit card.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The price was the same for cash, check, or credit card.

From your perspective, as far as you know.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a few you tubes that featured very very well healed people complaining that their banks wouldn't allow them to remove large sums of cash from their accounts.

Some wanted $60,000 some wanted $160,000.

So according to them,
Cash on hand has once again become a necessity .

When ever they go by their bank , they pull in and take out 7,8, or $9,000.00 and store it "someplace".

For future use sometimes once a week , sometimes four times a week at different locations.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I watched a few you tubes that featured very very well healed people complaining that their banks wouldn't allow them to remove large sums of cash from their accounts.

Some wanted $60,000 some wanted $160,000.

So according to them,
Cash on hand has once again become a necessity .

When ever they go by their bank , they pull in and take out 7,8, or $9,000.00 and store it "someplace".

For future use sometimes once a week , sometimes four times a week at different locations.
Banks don't usually store a lot of cash at each branch any more, just enough to cover an average day's withdrawals, plus what's in the ATM. If you wish to make a large withdrawal, the want you to arrange it ahead of time and (maybe) go to a particular branch to execute the transaction.

Posts: 6790 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Banks don't usually store a lot of cash at each branch any more

Imagine how interesting that will be the day China or some other terrorist group goes after the power grid or the internet.

The bank run will last 5 minutes before they're out of money and can't get any more.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
It will be immediate. Not 5 min. No paper copies anymore. No passbooks. lol

Most of us keep cash at home

Posts: 1764 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post