SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 10 Experts: A Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 Experts: A Question Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
First, let me say I am absolutely gobsmacked! I bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro off Ebay for cheap (<$50) and it came sealed in original Microsoft packaging with the MS Product Key sticker, and it installed over Windows 7 on an older Acer laptop absolutely seamlessly! Even saved all my personal stuff, pictures, passwords, network setting etc. Effin' Amazing. First time an MS Update has gone smoothly.

Now then...I'd REALLY like to disable automatic updates. I'd prefer not to hear arguments about why I shouldn't do that, I just want to know if it can be done and if so how to do it. I haven't found that option in the Maintenance and Security tab of Control Panel.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15252 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So you didn't find anything when you did a search on the internet for "How to disable automatic updates in Windows 10"?

Posts: 3388 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
So you didn't find anything when you did a search on the internet for "How to disable automatic updates in Windows 10"?

Well, shit. Didn't occur to me to look. I hope that doesn't earn me enough demerits to trigger repossession of my Sig Forum Unitard! Big Grin

BRB...

Posts: 15252 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Because you have a copy of Pro, you can disable all updates using a group policy.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Well, shit. Didn't occur to me to look. I hope that doesn't earn me enough demerits to trigger repossession of my Sig Forum Unitard! Big Grin

BRB...

No, but you might get regulated to wear the two piece for a while.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Because you have a copy of Pro, you can disable all updates using a group policy.

For some reason, I can't find the Group Policy Editor. Trying to run it from the command line doesn't work.

It does exist on my desktop.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My login on both desktop and laptop is as Administrator.

Neither will allow me to run either gpedit or services. Says I "may not have administrator privileges".

Da Fuq?

Tired of dicking with it for now.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
While I disagree with disabling Updates is prudent, here is a link that is easier than for me to regurgitating the steps.

https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-O...pdates-in-Windows-10

Also when running a something being an administrator, using the administrator account by name may still on occasion require elevated privileges including "run as administrator".

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Policy Editor: GPCEdit.msc download

Windows Updates Off: Turn off windows updates

Good luck

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Some time ago, I downloaded an app called "God Mode" on my desktop. I'd forgotten about it, but it accesses full admin privileges.

Fired that up and went to Services and disabled updates. Good to go there, now all I need to do is remember where I got it and download it onto the laptop.

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong. Not an app, but a hidden shortcut to a utility already buried in the software. I'll enable that on the laptop tomorrow.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't argue against the disabling of updates, as there are no more updates for that end-of-life OS, right?

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I wouldn't argue against the disabling of updates, as there are no more updates for that end-of-life OS, right?

Support until 10/14/2025.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Support until 10/14/2025.

Gotcha

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Got it blocked on the laptop this morning.

I noticed it had been taking forever to boot since I installed Win10, so it was no surprise that when I went to the Services menu it said Update was running...

That, and the propensity for updates to crash or fuck up your computer are the reasons I block automatic update.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
My laptops with Windows 10 never crash or are fucked up after automatic updates. Since you just installed Windows 10, how do you know that's the case for your laptop?

Posts: 3388 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
My laptops with Windows 10 never crash or are fucked up after automatic updates. Since you just installed Windows 10, how do you know that's the case for your laptop?

I don't. Just past experience with other versions.

EDIT: To be clear, my main objection is updates starting either at startup or shutdown and taking forever. When I fire up the computer it's because I have things to do and patience is not part of my toolbox...if I wanted to do it later, I'd have fired it up later. Also, when shutting down it is my habit to watch until it has successfully shut down and then turn the power off to the surge protector it's plugged into. Again...waiting aggravates the shit out of me.

Also, updates often require restarts, not always automatic so if I just walk away, the computer may or may not be ready to go when I come back.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Since W8, MS decided to use YOUR PC and YOUR Internet to download Updates across your Network using a Torrent. One computer will sniff your network and try to service other similar computers it might find. You have to dig a little to find this default delivery mode and disable it if you wish. Since i learned this my remaining trust in MS vanished. I decide how and when my updates take place and MS should go sniff it’s corporate ass instead of my network.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12129 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
<<snip>>
EDIT: To be clear, my main objection is updates starting either at startup or shutdown and taking forever. When I fire up the computer it's because I have things to do and patience is not part of my toolbox...if I wanted to do it later, I'd have fired it up later. Also, when shutting down it is my habit to watch until it has successfully shut down and then turn the power off to the surge protector it's plugged into. Again...waiting aggravates the shit out of me.

Also, updates often require restarts, not always automatic so if I just walk away, the computer may or may not be ready to go when I come back.

Every single thing you stated here is the EXACT reason(s) that I disabled automatic updates on my Win10 laptop! Waiting for slow starts due to updating, and waiting for slow shutdowns... well, as you said, patience is not in my toolbox either.

The frequent restarting requiring my attention means it's not truly an "automatic update" in my opinion, so I'll run them only when I have time (and patience) to deal with it!

Edit to add: I have two other Win10 laptops that never get used anymore because they're older and slower, and when I fire one of them up, it is literally HOURS before they are useable due to the update processes taking over the machine! Mad

Posts: 4595 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those that hate updates (because of the slow monthly boots) you can tell the machine what time of day to update. My (W 10 and W 11) updates are scheduled for 2:00 AM. I rarely turn my machine off and rarely leave any app open in an unsaved state. I never have the "I have to wait Mad" problem. Ever. A word of warning from father Bytes if you do anything financial (i.e. shop online) on your machine and never update: Fuck Around and Find Out. The "Find Out" part is usually very painful.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
For those that hate updates (because of the slow monthly boots) you can tell the machine what time of day to update. My (W 10 and W 11) updates are scheduled for 2:00 AM. I rarely turn my machine off and rarely leave any app open in an unsaved state. I never have the "I have to wait Mad" problem. Ever. A word of warning from father Bytes if you do anything financial (i.e. shop online) on your machine and never update: Fuck Around and Find Out. The "Find Out" part is usually very painful.

Not really a viable option with the shitty power here in East Overshoe.