SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flashed Up the Reel to Reel Tonight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flashed Up the Reel to Reel Tonight Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
listening to Electric Light Orchestra

now I know why is called 'Orchestra'

bring back analog music

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If you can find a copy: Deep Purple at the Royal Alber Hall with the London Symphony Orchestra.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I have a Teac X2000R sitting here in my listening room. I bought it new back in the 80s while stationed at Yokota AB, Japan. I also have a lot of music recorded on Maxell XLIIs reels. I bought a new belt to get it up and running, but have yet to complete the project. While I was stationed at Yokota, the base library was divesting itself of a sizable reel to reel tape collection. I bought quite a few which I also have in the cabinet. Thanks for the reminder to get my ass in gear! Enjoy!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am scouring the net looking for some good condition pre-recorded tapes

my tape deck is a TEAC 32B2 Tascam Series machine - standard 1/4" 15 ips playback

failing that I am thinking of getting some FLAC digital audio and dumping them to tape

haven't seen the Deep Purple program - will have to look it up

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a Revox reel to reel, now I don't know where I would find pre-recorded tapes.
My neighbor, who is 98, has a nice old school stereo in his basement. Among the pieces is a TEAC reel to reel and a set of Advent speakers.
He asked me last year if I was interested in the set-up, I will bring it up again the next time I see him.

Posts: 4640 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Studer Revox made some nice gear but I haven't seen one in ages

I'd certainly ask if he still has the gear - he might even have a secret stash of tapes hidden away Big Grin

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Reel, cassette, CD, vinyl, FM, AM-Stereo...can handle it all. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I still have an old Sony, 7 1/2". Not the best, but average reel to reel trumps the other formats IMO. It hasn't worked in 15 years, and when I learned you cannot buy the belts any longer I was heartbroken. Hell, I sill have unused blank Maxell tapes I never filled.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2020 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Hey bald... I have that same Tandberg TD-20A.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
I still have an old Sony, 7 1/2". Not the best, but average reel to reel trumps the other formats IMO. It hasn't worked in 15 years, and when I learned you cannot buy the belts any longer I was heartbroken. Hell, I sill have unused blank Maxell tapes I never filled.

Try searching on the Antique Radio Forum, a lot of activity on that forum. Also, if the drive pulleys are "u" or "v" shaped you might try to find an o-ring and use that in place. I've done that with a couple of 1930's to 1940's Zenith radios.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8141 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Studer Revox made some nice gear but I haven't seen one in ages

I'd certainly ask if he still has the gear - he might even have a secret stash of tapes hidden away Big Grin

If he has any tapes they would be Polka music!

Posts: 4640 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Before I got married I had a Thorens turntable, I believe a Shure stylus, a Teac reel to reel, McIntosh electronics, JBL L166 speakers. And a stack of original mastered LP's. I still have the McIntosh and the JBL's (the only input is a CD player). But I get to listen once in a while when the wife and neighbors are away.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I have an Akai GX-77 and a whole bunch of old Jazz reel to reels. I love the fact that you can listen for a couple hours before changing anything.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to get a reel-to-reel machine and listen to tapes. I used one when I was a kid, parents owned a German-made Grundig reel-to-reel machine. Where do I look for one outside eBay? And what brands and models should I be looking for?

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I just added a pair of bookshelf ELACS to my McIntosh ML1 speakers. Play both sets at the same time sounds great. Only play on a Rotel CD player through the Mac1900 and MQ101. The bookshelfs bring out the higher frequencies what the Macs miss at lower levels. But turn then up, WOw!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6327 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I had dozens of large tapes recorded from early CD releases circa 85 and so on. Made sure there were no clicks in between songs and recorded each album in chronological order but starting from the slowest rythm song to the fastest one, the next album fastest to slowest. Creating large rythm waves. Had pop, rock, jazz, jazz rock and classic (unsorted). Full artist discographies. Tons of ECM albums... Limited early editions from back when there were only two CD factories in the world trying to build full catalogs and keep up with current hits on a small scale production line.

Serviced my Akai not too long ago only to find that my 30 years old tape had gone to waste. Got rid of it all in frustration.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12149 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Green with envy right here...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I just remembered that I have an Arcam DAC - I use it a lot with my headphones so I sort of forgot it was there as its always just plugged in the background

makes a big difference - can't remember the last time I listened to a straight CD

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I want to get a reel-to-reel machine and listen to tapes. I used one when I was a kid, parents owned a German-made Grundig reel-to-reel machine. Where do I look for one outside eBay? And what brands and models should I be looking for?

Try here; https://www.audiogon.com/

posted Hide Post
The Tape Project. It's a local vacuum tube manufacturer Doc B of Bottlehead

http://tapeproject.com

https://bottlehead.com

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13411 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post