SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for 8 year old boy's present
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for 8 year old boy's present Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
Looking for Non traditional present ideas for my grandson. I've got a few lined up but I know the forum collective will have some great ideas.

No firearms, maturity is not there and currently he does not live local to me. Fishing/camping needs are covered. He already has the regular video games and RC stuff.

He is a smart kid and I usually try to get him things that challenge him a little.

What are your ideas?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
What about toys/kits that allow you to build things w/motors? Kinda along the line of Erector sets or motorized Legos? Go onto Craigslist and see if anyone is selling one of those battery-powered kid vehicles/cars?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Budget?

At that age I enjoyed a microscope and basic chemistry set.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Used DSLR.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Legos. Trust me. He wants em.
MindStorm is some sort of Lego robots.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
My grandson is a little older but really enjoys putting together those leggo models you can get at most toy stores. They come in a variety of difficulties and sizes.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Lego. My 6yo loves them & I was the same at that age, and still quite enjoy building with my girls.

The camera is another interesting idea, if his interests go that direction. I wish I'd started shooting earlier, to be better at it now.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perplexus Original, several other models to choose from.

Sudoku Color Cube

Posts: 428 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something model related like Revel working model v8 engine.

Or perhaps a sterling engine kit.

Speaking of nerf guns. I have bought 6 or seven of the nerf Rival guns for my kids and for others. A lot of fun, reasonably priced and work well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mikito,

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
The biggest lego set that you feel comfortable gifting in the line of interest, e.g. Star Wars for my son.

Or Nerf guns!!!

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Legos, Nerf guns, Pokemon Cards.

My son also liked some of those magic trick sets as well as some card games (uno, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
A personalized, autographed photo from Chuck Yeager.

Buy it here.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My biggest gripe with legos is, once you build them, you can't really "play" with them. They fall apart. They are made to be built, then put on a shelf. My kids play with their toys. They do get to construct other "things" once they have sufficient pieces, but it kinda makes me sad to spend that kind of money on a Lego kit and not really have anything to show for it once it all comes apart.

My kids have an electronics kit, like the snap kit above. that was a great gift from their grandfather. Anything motor or circuitry related would be very educational.

I bought my 2 boys air rifles for Christmas, but I know you said no firearms due to you not being local.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
A drone or a remote controlled car/truck, get him outside.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
A compass and/or a nice flashlight.

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My dad got my son a little kid safe when he was 8. He's thought it was awesome putting his "valuables" in there .

Starter chess set?
those circuit maker kits are a lot of fun

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92

What, too soon?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Estes beginner model rocket.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post