SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bose noise cancelling headphone question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bose noise cancelling headphone question. Login/Join 
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
MY Bose QC 3`s finally died this week, now to decide between the Sony or Bose wireless ones!

Following

Posts: 2080 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The only downside to the Sony is it lacks bluetooth multi-pairing. Check out this review (he's been one of my go-to reviewers since he was on Pocketnow.com):

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
MY Bose QC 3`s finally died this week, now to decide between the Sony or Bose wireless ones!

Following

Listen to them both and decide. Different reviewers will make different recommendations based on what they like. The Sonys are more bass heavy.

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The only downside to the Sony is it lacks bluetooth multi-pairing. Check out this review (he's been one of my go-to reviewers since he was on Pocketnow.com):

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5nMv6oLrhXc" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thank you

Posts: 2080 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Just to be contrarian, but for the same money, the Sony WH-1000XWM3 are the same price and better in every way. They block out more noise, sound better, have a phone app with a EQ to change the sound of the headphones, last longer, USB-C charging, and use an 3.5mm plug to hook up to external players instead of the 2.5mm connector you have to go through Bose to replace.

Here's a review here:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-wh-1000xm3-review/

Last Christmas Target was blowing out the previous generation of the Sony headphones (WH-1000XWM2) which I snagged to give to my daughter. I tried them after she opened her present, they really blew me away. I was not able to locate another new pair of the M2's for a decent price, but did eventually pick up 2 WH-1000XWM3s for my fiancee and myself. We've been very happy with them and the battery life is incredible.

Posts: 1805 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm. It's like two
40s with every shot.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Following

If you have a local store, take your dead QC3s in and see if they offer any trade in money. They did for me.

Posts: 619 | Registered: March 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I wish every review on YouTube had the same production values as the dude’s video on the Sony cans. Most of the time when looking for info on YouTube the videos are unwatchable, incoherent, and incomprehensible.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwp10mm:
quote:

Following

If you have a local store, take your dead QC3s in and see if they offer any trade in money. They did for me.

Just an FYI: Bose has closed a ton of their stores. Closest one to me is now about 10 hours away.

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago around the time that the QC35 came out, I bought it and the Beats version. Ended up keeping the beats. Performance was slightly better and the price was slightly better. Not enough that I would have been unhappy with the Bose had I chose them.

No other brand, sony or senheisser came close.

I still have my beats. Wife has a pair also. Only way to travel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too went through the Youtube hell of watching the various reviews. I ended up buying a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550's. I found them more comfortable and I didn't need the Android Assistant that came with the Bose units.
I use them mostly for air travel and the occasional podcast while working around the house.I previously had a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones ;not sure which model, and my new ones are vastly superior.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

Following

You may want to call up Bose customer service and see what they say. I've gotten significant discounts offered on new replacements when I call for service on out-of-warranty products. Wink

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Actually still have all three pairs. While listening is subjective and your music preferences. I'd agree that the Beat Solo's with the Apple W-1 chip have vastly superior connectivity and range, I found the bass a little too boomy, I guess great for certain music genera, but I'll still pick up the Sennheiser's for my listening tastes. I prefer a little more of the higher ranges. The Bose are very comfortable and very good sounding also but with my iPhone in my bedroom and wandering both outside and around the house the Bose picked up a little interference around my circuit panel and when I opened the refrigerator, other than that they're very good. I also prefer the over the ear cups as opposed to the Beats of sitting on the ears.

Additionally the Sennheiser battery last for a good range of around 30hrs comparable to Sony. I've never had a Sony pair but still open to another future purchase.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
For me, the Beats were great if you had an iPhone and their range is great, but they sound a little muffled, and frankly, want to sound like the Sony's when they grow up. Both are a little bass forward, but the Sonys have better clarity out of the box and can be EQ'd if you want a different sound.

I just ended up reordering a pair of the Sennheiser's off eBay. They sounded great and I like how you turn them on and off. I sold them because I wanted a USB-C charger (minor) and they were very quiet when I was using the iPhone music app, but loud on every other app.

If anyone is interested, I do have a pair of AKG N700NC and AudioTechnica ATH-ANC900BT on eBay. I'll give a forum member a sweethart deal on either one. Email me if interested.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just ended up reordering a pair of the Sennheiser's off eBay. They sounded great and I like how you turn them on and off. I sold them because I wanted a USB-C charger (minor) and they were very quiet when I was using the iPhone music app, but loud on every other app.

Dan, if I had one minor complaint about the Sennheiser's, it would be the finger tip adjustments on the ear cup being a little too sensitive. Just age, health, and environmental causes could most rule me out as a qualifier of good sounding anything these days. I've mostly have been a low-end audiophile most of my life, and limited by the $$ invested. So I have at least a taste of what sounds ok to me. And these days I'd mostly lean towards the highs for just clarity of music, not so much the basses, especially boomy ones, I like a little tighter sounding bass. A good EQ is a plus.

I'd love to at least get a listen with the Sony's and may do so some day. Until then, I just don't have enough ears to occupy the headphones I do have Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post