SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So the nightmare electric in the cabin is being redone. Is one breaker box better than another?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So the nightmare electric in the cabin is being redone. Is one breaker box better than another? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Sure anything beats what is there but does Square D or Eaton really make a difference??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What is up with your thumb and touching the box with it?? ????

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’d go with Eaton over Square D. Preferably Eaton’s CH line.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It's not a big difference. Ive used Square D industrial products for years.

Just get more circuits than you think you need, so you can always add to it. If you are rewiring the whole place, consider 20 amp circuits, not much more money and you can plug in any tool / appliance you want without worry.

Also I always make the lights a separate circuit, so if you have to work in a room or remodel or fix outlets you can still have light.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
second eaton ch line copper buss for sure, I had a aluminum buss panel melt down, very lucky I was right there when it happened and I put the fire out scary 45 seconds though.

Posts: 5607 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Square D QO but the CH is good too.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without a question, Square D QO line.

Do NOT go with their Homeline series.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So I know nothing about electric so if you all could please explain your reasoning behind your suggestions so I have a better understanding.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
What is up with your thumb and touching the box with it?? ????

I presume you are referring to the porcelain duck head on the cabinet.

————————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Square D QO (NOT HomeLine) and CH (brown handles NOT BR) are the best you can buy. You are choosing from 1a and 1b. We use CH at work, I personally prefer QO because they generally are slightly smaller panels and the Knockout layout. At this point I'm picking nits. I would be extremely comfortable having either in my house.

All that being said, I have a Siemens panel in my house because it was the one I could get at the greatest discount. I don't lose any sleep over having it as my service.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Zinsco or Bulldog. No = just kidding

Sq D is probably better equipment, but not needed unless you are doing commercial install. Go with the best brand commonly available at Home depot, or Lowes. Jerry's is a local regional here and my favorite.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6326 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I’ve got Square D QO in my new house and my shop and I’m pleased with the equipment and would recommend them. I’m glad that Skins also thinks highly of the equipment, I value his opinion in this realm. When I was having my house built, my electrician also preferred Square D and he did some of the best work that I’ve seen so I strongly value his opinion too.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Square D QO. Maybe just because that's what I've always used. Recommended to me by a friend that works at the local power company (AEP). They see minimal failures with them.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Eaton CH fan.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So from looking at the Lowe’s website I found this as most are suggesting Square D QO

24-Circuit 100-Amp Main Breaker Plug-On Neutral Load Center (Value Pack) https://www.lowes.com/pd/24-Ci...Value-Pack)/50311189

————————————————

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I prefer Eaton CH because their Industrial/Commercial (panels and switchgear) equipment that I’ve installed seems higher quality to me than Square D. But the Square D QO and Eaton CH lines both have a copper bus instead of aluminum and a lifetime warranty. If a comparable Square D QO panel was a lot cheaper, I would go with that instead.

———————————————

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I can’t seem to locate an Eaton CH box in 100 amp anywhere to compare price.

————————————————

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Looks like availability is next to nil on the Eaton CH residential panels. I’d just go ahead and go with the Square D QO line.

———————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This stuff is not marketed to individuals, in most cases you will need to go to an electrical supply house and buy it, if they let you, and if they don't charge list price.

If you can't find QO or CH somewhere let me know. I'll see if I can order it for you as a last option. Or get the electrician to pick it up in advance and buy breakers later.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
This stuff is not marketed to individuals, in most cases you will need to go to an electrical supply house and buy it, if they let you, and if they don't charge list price.

If you can't find QO or CH somewhere let me know. I'll see if I can order it for you as a last option. Or get the electrician to pick it up in advance and buy breakers later.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/24-Ci...Value-Pack)/50311189

Any issue with that kit?

————————————————