SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tri-tip beef sandwiches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tri-tip beef sandwiches Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My local Whole Foods store offers sandwich-size precooked (but rare) pieces of tri-tip beef that tend to be a kinda chewy. And I’m not a fan of rare beef – the personal preference thing.

But after 30 minutes (note 1) in my stovetop pressure cooker at 15 PSI it’s fall-apart tender. As tender as pot roast, and the same dark color as pot roast too. The Maillard reaction, I think. Well, I guess it is pot roast:

“Pot roast is an American beef dish made by slow cooking a usually tough cut of beef in moist heat…”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_roast

Such a rich savory flavor! A sandwich made from it with Arby’s Horsey Sauce applied is a meal fit for a king. On tap for my lunch today!

note 1 – After 30 minutes I turn the heat off, but leave the pressure cooker on the burner of my ceramic stovetop until the pressure drops to atmospheric. About ten minutes.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they're cooking their tri-tip too fast, at too hot of a temperature. It shouldn't be overly chewy.

Tri-tip needs to cooked low and slow. You could do that in a slow cooker like a pot roast (as you discovered), but I prefer to smoke my tri-tip like a brisket.

The benefit over brisket is that it only takes ~2-3 hours to smoke a tri-tip, compared to 10-12+ for a brisket. Basically gets you 90% of the end result of a well-smoked brisket for about 25% of the effort.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is amazing what time, heat, and pressure can do for an otherwise useless piece of meat. I’ll second the Horsey sauce.
5pm sound about right?

Posts: 985 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tri-tip can easily be screwed up if cooked and cut correctly.
Always best to pull the meat out at least an hour to two hours prior to cooking, this helps reduce cook time and prevent it from drying up too fast. Good hot coals are essential, then constant turning every 15-20 minutes to prevent burning. Using a thermometer is always best to monitor the inside temps, just know that the thiner parts of the meat will be well-done, while the thickest parts you will be at rare to med-rare.
Pull meat, LET IT REST for at least 20-30 minutes. Can't emphasize resting more than enough, the longer the meat is allowed to rest, the more the juices will be retained.

Once cooked, tri-tips need to be cut correctly, done wrong and you'll end up chewing much more than you think.

Toppings for tri-tip, at least in California's Santa Maria-country is either a horseradish ranch sauce or, your basic pico de gallo salsa.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I’ll stick with my pressure cooker method. Fast, simple, repeatable, and good.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^

It doesn't get a whole lot more simple than a rub and tossing it on the grill for a few hours with a probe in it. It's pretty much set it and forget it, and there's no pots to clean up after.

Pressure cooker for a tri-tip? Get a rope! Razz

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either way, the horsey sauce please. Me hungry!

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We have tri tip at least once a month, in fact this evening. I cook it on my Weber Kettle, charcoal. It's a learning curve but never a disappointment.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3408 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I guess if your British beef boiler is broken……..

I suspect no matter how cooked the grain direction is worth noting.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^

I continue to mismanage my intended procedure and too often fail to produce at least one of this descriptor set.

Although my last brisket project was on the verge of being nearly edible. Now we're too far into late wet fall for much long charcoal sessions.

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I eat a lot of Tri-Tip, especially when it goes on sale, which lately hasn’t been the case. I used to cook it indirectly in the Weber. It took about 40 min. Where I live now I can’t have a BBQ, so I started just cooking it in the oven at 350 with a temp probe . I take it out around 125 and let it rest. Very important if you want to retain juices.

Lately, I’ve been using a Ninja grill using medium heat and starting with the fat side down. Flip every 10 min. It’s done in 25 min. or so total (again checking temp and taking it out when it gets to around 130). It gets the grilled flavor. Again let it rest to retain the juices. The video posted above should be followed to a T or you’re going to be chewing more than expected.

I usually make my sandwiches using a toasted french roll, provolone cheese, Ortega chilies and homemade horseradish sauce.

Posts: 766 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
I eat a lot of Tri-Tip, especially when it goes on sale, which lately hasn’t been the case. I used to cook it indirectly in the Weber. It took about 40 min. Where I live now I can’t have a BBQ, so I started just cooking it in the oven at 350 with a temp probe . I take it out around 125 and let it rest. Very important if you want to retain juices.

Lately, I’ve been using a Ninja grill using medium heat and starting with the fat side down. Flip every 10 min. It’s done in 25 min. or so total (again checking temp and taking it out when it gets to around 130). It gets the grilled flavor. Again let it rest to retain the juices. The video posted above should be followed to a T or you’re going to be chewing more than expected.

I usually make my sandwiches using a toasted french roll, provolone cheese, Ortega chilies and homemade horseradish sauce.

I had a few years where living in an apartment complex didn't allow open-flames so, I learned to use the oven.
Since moved and back to the grill, tri-tip salads are very popular in my household.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Never heard of doing tri-tip as a pot roast. I actually never even heard of it before it started getting mentioned on this forum, it's not common around these parts and the only place I can even find it is Wegmans.

I thought you were supposed to do tri-tip pretty hot and fast on a grill and never serve more than medium rare sliced thinly across the grain and yes that grain direction change is a tricky thing.

Posts: 33900 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post