SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hummingbird Moth
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hummingbird Moth Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
The first time I saw a hummingbird moth I thought I was in wonderland. It was so strange looking and it took years until someone posted a thread here about them before I knew what I had seen. They are awesome looking. Only seen about 3 in my life.

We have some awesome moths here on Mount Wachusett. I was trying to find a pic of a super cool one that had wings separated and above the body, camouflage like a rock. It's shape looked like some sort of Klingon battleship. I can't find the damn pic Nevermind, I found it...

The biggest I've seen was this Luna Moth. I thought a damn bird was hitting my door. Went out and this guy was flying into the door and light. I shut out the light and he landed on the door and stayed until late the next morning.

Poplar Hawk moth and Luna

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15604 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Found both of these a few years back.

Oleander Hawk moth
temporary picture hosting

Leopard Moth

Found this guy out west two years ago- Striped Hawk moth
gas station near me open right now

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15604 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Cool. Thanks for the ID on the Poplar. I found the Luna easily online. It was huge. I also had a bunch of pink moths that we ID'd as Rosy Maple. No pics of those but very neat looking.

Also this mothra looking guy was pretty cool...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12441 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Cool. Thanks for the ID on the Poplar. I found the Luna easily online. It was huge. I also had a bunch of pink moths that we ID'd as Rosy Maple. No pics of those but very neat looking.

Also this mothra looking guy was pretty cool...

That looks like a Tiger moth

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
And just this afternoon, the Butterfly Bush had a Hummingbird Moth visit.