New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insomnia Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
After battling insomnia for over a month now, I finally have a solution!

Ambien didn’t work, Restoril didn’t work, melatonin didn’t help, so I’ve come up with a combo package. Double-dose the Restoril, throw in one Ambien, and wash it down with 2 or 3 shots of bourbon! If that doesn’t knock me out, nothing will!

Posts: 4588 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow be careful with that mixture

generally mixing alcohol with any medication is a bad idea

have you ever tried something less potent like an occasional Tylenol PM and a little 'white noise' background like a floor fan?

be careful - I would hate for 1 or 2 shots to become 3 or 4 .... or 5 and then you are gone.

Plus - lots has been written / researched on how to relax your mind to induce sleepiness. maybe look into those

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Double-dose the Restoril, throw in one Ambien, and wash it down with 2 or 3 shots of bourbon!

Eek Is this a joke? Confused You're going to end up sleeping forever if you keep this up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you're posting as a joke, but IMO, you are talking about abusing drugs. Combining benzos and booze is not good at all. Restoril is a prescribed, controlled substance. Taking more than prescribed, along with hard liquor, is an extremely dangerous path. Think Heath Ledger, or the countless number of deaths due to sleeping pills and booze.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I was once told, "The cure for insomnia is insomnia." Your body needs sleep. Eventually it will get it.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
You need to go see your doc ASAP or you will soon be taking a really long nap.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Don't do it! Do not mix alcohol with sleep meds. It is very, very dangerous. My ambien does not work completely, but I would never mix alcohol with such powerful drugs. Just sayin' yo!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
This is way out of left field for most people and motbeffective for all, but there is a thing called “ASMR” that is really great at helping most people relax and/or fall asleep. It’s a huge subset on YouTube (plus it can be found on music apps like Amazon Music). Essentially they are videos/audio of sounds or soft spoken words that help people relax, you just have to find what “triggers” you.

For me, it is certain soft spoken voices and “crinkly” mellow sounds, like rustling papers. It’s all recorded (well, the good stuff) in a close-mic style in Boise controlled rooms and the quality makes a big difference.

Again, the ones that really relax me and put me to sleep:
- Gibi ASMR on YouTube. Her voice is very soothing for me. For instance: https://www.youtube.com/playli...xx3kbeVXgKhlu7nT83BG

- PJ Dreams - same thing, his voice is very relaxing and his recording quality is great. Here is a sample: https://youtu.be/yoWJ0EdDnbo

- Marno ASMR - same thing. https://youtu.be/CAbgfatyRvk

This is probably my all time favorite video for knocking me out. https://youtu.be/gf_MqDBBMPI

THIS IS KEY: You MUST use headphones or earbuds or it won’t work. You need to block out your environmental noise and really clearly put the audio in your head or it just won’t work. I use Bluetooth earbuds.

Important tip: if using YouTube TURN OFF AUTO PLAY, for 2 reasons. 1) ads between videos will give you a heart attack after you’ve relaxed or fallen asleep. Trust me. 2) like everything on YT there are plenty of bad, dark, inappropriate, gross, or whatever versions of this ASMR business. If sutoplay is on it will likely lead down a weird dark hole to a place you don’t want to be, like a 400lber crunching and slurping on an apple 2 inches from a mic and calling it ASMR. One must Asmr responsibly. Lol.

Seriously, try the links above. Earbuds. Lights out. Laying down. I never make it more than a few minutes into a video.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Never mix benzodiazepines (or opiates) and booze. You may never wake up. Exercise more than usual for a while. Really give yourself a workout. That helps to create healthy sleep more than any drug.

Restoril (Temazepam) is a benzo. Ambien is a close cousin. Both are very dangerous when mixed with booze.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Don't think this is the first time the OP has mentioned mixing drugs and booze.

Get help man, get help.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised Para or one of the mods haven't locked this, yet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Obviously fits into the "posting while drunk" category... Eek

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Obviously fits into the "posting while drunk" category... Eek

Hopefully OP woke up.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Between my insomnia and severe sleep apnea, I never get any rest. I am always exhausted.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'd discuss this with your Doc Bill. Maybe something else is compounding your insomnia and other alternative treatments may be necessary.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Try listening to “Sleep Deprivation” (Simian Mobile Disco).

Seriously, I suffer insomnia for a day or two at intervals of 3 or 4 years. I just ignore it – lay there awake. Seems as restful as actual sleep. But the night seems really long.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
For the record, have tried everything that has been suggested, including trips to the doctor! Will be going again Monday morning before I put myself to sleep permanently! <sigh>

Posts: 4588 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post

He'd never let me quit...after all, I have to feed him Wink

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
For the record, the remaining alcohol is down the drain, and the Ambien has been removed far from the medicine cabinet. I am awake and alert now and see the stupidity of my ways last night! All I can say is it was desperation born out total frustration, but I'm moving on from that now and will go back to the doc for yet another try for something that works. Have already seen two different docs so far; hopefully someone will hit on the magic pill to get me through this!

I know it's most likely stress as I feel my back against the wall at the moment waiting on my disability to come through, all the while the family finances get closer and closer to insolvency... it's simply frustrating beyond belief!

I know deep down that "this too shall pass", but patience has NEVER been one of my strong suites, so I'm just hanging on like a hair in a biscuit!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm surprised Para or one of the mods haven't locked this, yet.

Why? It's an open and honest discussion about a serious problem!