SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 7 overboard!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 7 overboard! Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Apple did a good job making the new iPhone 7 water resistant. Yesterday I went out on my lake kayaking and testing out a new spray skirt for my Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155. The spray skirt is the neoprene cover that goes around you and keeps water out of the cockpit. I was having fun seeing how far I could tip my kayak on its edge when I pushed it just a tad too far and flipped it over.

I got lucky and grabbed my phone just as the boat flipped, it had started raining so I had the phone tucked into my shirt. The phone was underwater for a few seconds and again while I paddled back to the dock. I was damn lucky to retrieve the phone from my shirt as I went underwater. I flipped my kayak only about 150 feet from my dock. I tried to get back into the kayak but it was swamped and I don't have a hand pump yet. The boat has 3 water tight compartments so I just hopped onto the boat sideways and paddled back to the dock slowly.

I got a quick pic of the swamped Zephyr once I got back to the dock.

I am happy to report my IPhone 7 is working just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the phone is fine.

Now go put it in a Lifeproof case anyway.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Good to know it will take a dunking, and still work.

Posts: 3270 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
You didn't do an Eskimo roll?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
You took a phone out on open water in a kayak?

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I think you can submerge the iPhone 7 and 7+ in 3 feet of water for a minute. Isn't that what they are rated for?

Posts: 2549 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the 7 is waterproof but last month the wife went to Hawaii with her friend and they planned on doing a boat trip that took them under and around waterfalls and there would be lots of bouncing and in and out of the boat so i was concerned.

I ordered a waterproof pouch from Amazon...For under 10.00 if floated, had a neck lanyard, arm band and you could still use most phone/camera functions...worked like a champ

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Greco, I'm taking it to the OBX soon for a fun week at a beach house with a pool. I'm gonna practice rolling in that pool until I can do it. This was my first time with an actual spray skirt. When the spray skirt is attached your worst fear is flipping it. Big Grin. Well...that's out of the way.

Sadly I banged up my 160 fiberglass Zephyr pro on my dock and I will need to patch it up so I'm gonna be taking the heavier and stronger rotomolded Zephyr which is 6 inches shorter and a little bit thinner. The damn Zephyr 160 Pro is glassed like a Channel Islands surfboard....potato chip thin, super light and faberge egg fragile.

The plastic Yaks are basically idiot proof so it should be a fun week at the beach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of water test posted on the Internet with the iPhone surviving much deeper than 1 meter for extended periods of time. Flipping over in your kayak isn't going to kill it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18092 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I see your problem. It is raining. Everyone knows you don't kayak in the rain because the boat will get wet...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah. It was pouring. Until I flipped the spray skirt was working ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I keep mine in a water tight box... which over heats it and it doesn't work. I end up floating the box in the water to cool it down. Crazy stuff. Big Grin

Posts: 21346 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I think you can submerge the iPhone 7 and 7+ in 3 feet of water for a minute. Isn't that what they are rated for?

Define "rated". Apple is very clear (in the fine print) that they don't guarantee a damned thing in terms of waterproofness. If you want guaranteed, recognized standards, you had better buy a quality case.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

Define "rated". Apple is very clear (in the fine print) that they don't guarantee a damned thing in terms of waterproofness. If you want guaranteed, recognized standards, you had better buy a quality case.

-Rob

The iPhone 7 has a IP67 rating. IP is "Ingress protection", 6 is "Protected from dust", 7 is "Protected against the effects of immersion in water to depth between 15 cm and 1 meter"

I'm not saying go scuba diving, but a quick dunk in the lake won't hurt the phone.

Posts: 2549 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

-Rob

The iPhone 7 has a IP67 rating. IP is "Ingress protection", 6 is "Protected from dust", 7 is "Protected against the effects of immersion in water to depth between 15 cm and 1 meter"

I'm not saying go scuba diving, but a quick dunk in the lake won't hurt the phone.

I'm well aware of IP ratings and the alleged IP67 that Apple has attached to iPhone7 specs. However, last I checked, the official line was this:

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

Which has always made me think that they've chosen their words very carefully.

-Rob

A=A