SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Loma Prieta 30 years later: where were you?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loma Prieta 30 years later: where were you? Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
^^How did you cross the Bay with the bridge collapsed?

The radio station was broadcasting from the bridge.

I was on south 880 in the Fremont area.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was in my first year of law school taking a break and watching game 3 of the World Series when it hit.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
Turned on the TV for the World Series and started dinner as I just got home. Then it started shaking.

Same here except we felt a tremble in the force booting a couple hassles clinking together

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I was at home about 20 miles from the epicenter getting ready to go to paintball with family from Indiana. We had minimal damage, was actually kind of fun.

I was in my parents bathroom filling a squirt bottle to ambush my cousin who was snoozing on the couch when the windows started to rattle. My first thought was, “oh cool, an earthquake.” Then it got pretty woolly. I was able to look outside from the bathroom and see the trees swaying and the power poles dancing. Out of the corner of my eye, I spied my parents waterbed sloshing back and forth almost breaking over the edge towards me in the doorway. I ducked behind the wall in case the water mattress crested.

My cousin’s friend was there also, and that was his first ever earthquake. Scared the crap out of him. He went through his cigarettes pretty quickly, so we had to go buy some more. We piled into my car and went to the nearest liquor store. When we got there and opened the car doors, we could smell all of the booze. The poor store was just a wreck, bottles and booze everywhere. My cousin’s friend tip-toed in and got his cigarettes and we headed home. Since the power was out, we were really impressed with how civilized all of the drivers were at the intersections.

We got home and our street pretty much had a neighborhood BBQ while watching the news from a neighbor’s portable TV.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
At home, 60 miles north of San Francisco. When it hit, I had just stood up from the dining room table. I thought I was dizzy from standing too quickly but realized it was an earthquake when one side of the house lifted up and slammed down twice. I also noticed all the light fixtures were swaying. Ran out of the house just as it stopped. I was 16.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Reno in a convention hall at a trade show. Felt it there sounded like a big AC unit running roof vibrating.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I was at football practice. I didn’t even know it happened until I had gotten in my car to drive home and turned to the local AM sports radio station expecting to listen to some of the World Series while I sat on 95 south

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
We were relocating to the Bay Area. My wife was in our apartment in San Jose and I was traveling. I had the chance to stay with her parents that night in Northern Illinois.

I was watching the game with her family and the announcer mentioned the earthquake.

I flew home the next morning. Think I had to go ORD to Dallas to Salt Lake to SFO. The apartment was a total mess. The chandelier swung so hard it dented several places on the ceiling. Large chest of drawers knocked over, no pictures on the wall, dishes thrown out of the cupboards onto the floor.

Many of the folks who lived there camped out by the pool, afraid to stay in the building because of the after-shocks.

To this day she doesn't like to stop in traffic under a bridge.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I was at work in the FL panhandle. But my sister lived in the Marina District in Frisco at the time. Took days before we could reach her. She took a sleeping bag and camped out with a friend in South SF for a while. Marina District got hit pretty hard.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I was in an elevator on the 5th floor of a building trying to go to the ground floor. The car momentarily stopped between the 3rd and 4th floor, and I heard what I beleive to be the cables holding the car slapping together. For what seemed like an eternity, I watched the light indicating floor level, praying it would start to show me going down again. Then the car began to shake back and forth, and move down the shaft. When it came to the ground floor, the door miraculously opened, and I dove under a heavy oak table in the foyer. When I came out from under the table, and older lady who was an admin asst. came out of her office, grabbed my arm and said, "I'll never work late again!" I went outside the building and asked the guard what happened, he told me he saw cars bouncing 6" in the air, and it must have been an earthquake. At the time, I thought it must have been centered close to where I was, not realizing the size and extent of the earthquake until I got home, and my mother called me to ask if I was alright.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I had been in San Francisco on that day and crossed the Bay Bridge at about 3:30 to get home to the East Bay. I had been home for a hour and a half when a decently big jolt hit and some small liquor bottles in my room fell over. The shaking went on a pretty long time, and I noticed the apple tree leaves and branches outside my window vibrating and thought, "That's impressive." I didn't think it was THAT big a deal until I saw the news later and was like, "Whoa, no way!"

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember it but I'm not sure where I was.
3 years out of high school when it happened.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I was a Petty Officer 2nd Class at HSL-47, NAS North Island San Diego. At 1704 I was watching the World Series pre-game

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
I was in Boot Camp in San Diego and didn't know it went down until the DI came in to talk to one of the recruits that was from SF. Sunday we got to read the paper and see the damage.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I was in college here in CO and some friends from the East were in town. We were at a local establishment enjoying 10 cent peel and eat shrimp and drinking beer by the half yard when the news came over the TV in the bar.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
In College Station, probably set to watch the World Series or partying with other aggies!

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I was in the kitchen, giving my 5 month old a bath.
The TV in the family room was tuned in for the game, and I could hear Al Michaels and Tim McCarver yakking during the pregame show.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I was at a Pensacola sports bar & grill with wife & kids to watch the series. All the players & staff were out on the field. Thought "That's strange". Years later played a lot of golf with Greg Litton of the Giants, who hit a homer in the last game.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sitting in an apt. in north L.A. county waiting for the game to start.

thinking to my self,
geez , I am glad that will never happen here ,
I'd be wigging out.

then five short years later on Jan 17th , 1994
just 14 miles away
the northridge quake hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...orthridge_earthquake

6.7 magnitude

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I was living in the far western burbs of Chicago and was prepping dinner. I had the WS pregame on TV in the background. The endless previous game analysis droning on and then the famous Al Michaels quote grabbed my attention. Then the ABC graphic is on the screen.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post