SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with sd card reader to laptop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with sd card reader to laptop Login/Join 
posted
I got a sd card reader 3.0 and it doesn't seem to do anything when I insert it into my laptop; with sd card in it of course. Do I need to go to settings and turn on something? When I plug in my USB cable attached from my camera, the info comes up on my laptop about uploading pictures and presto. No problem. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thanks.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Check to see if you have a compatible SD card or if the card is bad, of course the slot could be bad too (longshot), you don't need to enable or set anything.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If your card reader uses USB 3.0 and you are plugging it into a USB 2.0 port on your computer it may not work.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, have you tried right clicking on your My Computer icon, going to manage, check the disk drive manager to see if the drive is recognized at all (with or without a drive letter assigned to it)?

USB 3.0 ports usually have a blue tab inside them while 2.0 are all black.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0

Additionally, I have seen laptops while on battery disable USB ports for power savings.
Sometimes you have to toggle the power settings > not the OS power settings but an app or function key that toggles or configures the setting.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0

That means that you can plug USB 2.0 devices into USB 3.0 ports and expect them to work. The opposite is not always the case.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Just a thought, have you tried right clicking on your My Computer icon, going to manage, check the disk drive manager to see if the drive is recognized at all (with or without a drive letter assigned to it)?

USB 3.0 ports usually have a blue tab inside them while 2.0 are all black.

0-0

Correct answer.

If you have REAL, it will ask you to download the files.

https://www.real.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I see where the system shows 3.0 but still nothing. It's a "U Green" reader from Germany with an overseas # which I'm not calling. I'll ask someone. I've tried an old 4gb card and new sd card.
Appreciate it.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
This unit?
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-...indows/dp/B07HMX5G85

Note: card readers don't necessarily show up as a device.
This is basically an adaptor.
Have you tried in different computer, different SD card or in different slots?