SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arborists/Chainsaw Jockeys - a moment of your time? UPDATE - It's Down.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arborists/Chainsaw Jockeys - a moment of your time? UPDATE - It's Down. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Poplar (aka really big weed) leaning up against the barn roof. Eave about 20 feet off the ground. There's another 8-10 feet of tree above the eave, all small stuff and very likely dead.

1. Paying somebody else to deal with it is not an option.

2. Working off the ground with a chainsaw is not an option.

3. I'd really prefer that it not roll and A) mess up the roof tin or B) fall on the chain link fence.

I CAN put an extension ladder up against the barn and get a line (5/16th wire rope) on it at eave level.

My thinking is get a line on it, take a strain away from the barn at about a 45° angle away from the fence, cut a notch in it about 4' above the root ball, leave a good thick hinge and try to pull it over with the tractor.

I have enough wire rope and chains that I can keep the tractor well away from the fall zone and keep the pull angle low. If it gets tangled up with the other poplars in that little grove, it's not all bad as long as it's leaning AWAY from the barn.

At some point, ALL of those poplars need to go. At least three have partially ripped their root balls out of the ground.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Bucket or boom arm anywhere near?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Bucket or boom arm anywhere near?

Nope, and couldn't get it in position anyway. Ground too steep/soft.

EDIT: Rethinking...If ground was frozen, I might be able to sneak a small one in. Don't need that much lift. Would also be handy for taking the rest of them down in sections from the top.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing the out building is not covered by insurance.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use ladder to tie 2 cables or ropes high up.
Use one to winch it back from barn.
Once clear of barn roof, use other rope to pull it to side.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I think you're on the right track. Personally, I'd....

1 - Take a tape measure and measure from the point where the tree is laying on the roof, down the wall to the ground. While you're up there tie a rope around the tree trunk where its laying on the roof.
2 - Then measure that same distance from the point where the tree is laying on the roof down the tree trunk, add a foot, and mark it.
3 - Then I'd carefully, and slowly, cut from the bottom side of the tree under the mark I made allowing a hinge to develop. Don't cut all the way through and don't cut the trunk at the root ball.
4 - Hopefully the hinge will allow the tree to relax into an almost 90 degree angle alongside the barn. Then use your tractor to pull the top section away from the barn and cut it up however you like.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:

This and hook your tractor to it and pull it back up and over.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm neither an arborist or a chain saw expert, but I have been known to MacGyver things on a daily basis.

The above is what I would try. I'd put my tractor out in the field and one of my trucks where the photographer is standing. Snatch block off one of the trees (lower so it won't pull it over too) and a line from the truck to the fallen tree. I'll pull the tree back from the building and then let the tractor pull on it from the other end to spin it clear of the building and fence. Lower it with the truck as the tractor is pulling it into position.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am guessing the out building is not covered by insurance.

Not sure. Don't think insurance would cover removing the tree in any case.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Let's see if I can describe how I would do it.

First, take that cable, if long enough, fasten it around that "leaner". Run it directly away from the barn, down at an angle, around the base of one of those that you want to take down anyway.

Hook the cable to your tractor, using the tractor slowly pull that leaner away from the barn, and back into the group of trees. Preferably, back past the vertical so it is leaning away from the barn. With a little persuasion you should be able to get that leaner to fall away from the barn, between those other trees. Since you want to take them down anyway, does not matter if you scrape one or more of them.

Got you confused yet?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may be a deductible. I have had trees on my house and State Farm paid to remove them. Cutting them up and hauling off was my responsibility. Crane removal if necessary was ok.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess none of the other trees in that stand are any stronger than the one that fell over. Thus any attempt to use any of them to winch it away from the barn might result in more on the barn.

Even if they are strong enough: Any attempt to cable it high up, using one of the other trees, winch it up, then pushing it over may well result in the bottom bit departing the ground and moving in unpredictable ways.

Lacking a bucket, I can't see any course of action that doesn't stand even odds of resulting in damage, injury, or both.

But I've been wrong before.

Personally: I'd hire somebody with a bucket to come get it off the roof, then saw it up, myself, once it's safely on the ground.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Paul- I would call your insurance agent and see if this is covered by your homeowners policy.
A client of mine had the exact same thing happen on a home we built for him about a year earlier.
Insurance company paid to have a professional arborist bring in a crane and boom it off the house.

If that is not an option could you take an extension ladder and a bow saw and cut the 10 feet or so that is above the eave of the house then take your cable and drag both pieces away?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Get a small tractor with a bucket, put teenager in bucket, lift him up with chainsaw and have him cut the top off at the eve. Then cut trunk sections off as he is lowered down the length of trunk while keeping the trunk supported by the bucket

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Pole saw would work. I take down a fair amount of branches every year with a Reciprocating saw with a 9" and 12" pruning blades

What in the background? Could you shoot at an area on the trunk so it will break a couple feet shy of the length to the wall when it is on the ground with a shotgun or 22 or 308 fmj works real good.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Idea/goal - pull tree back up to where it originally stood, then past and over into others.

Steps-

Attach cable to tree at building contact.

Chain with hooks around the base of two trees in direction you want to pull leaner. Chain doesn’t have to be much longer than what is necessary to connect trees to each other.

Pulley low in bight of chain.

Cable that is connected to leaner goes through pulley, out into field, connect to tractor. Enough cable to be safe from tree coming over.

Tractor will pull tree upright and then over in opposite direction, away from barn.

Not enough muscle in the tractor? More parts in the pulley/tackle.

When you want all the trees down - cable as high on the tree as possible. Ground as moist as possible. Pull them over with the tractor. Cut up when tree is on the ground.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are you in Maine? and how big is the tractor?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Where are you in Maine? and how big is the tractor?

Downeast, between Ellsworth and Milbridge, about 5 miles off Route 1. Schoodic Peninsula, if that means anything to ya.

Tractor is a Kubota B2650. 26HP and 4wd. Traction will be an issue as the tractor is pretty light.

I like Chris42's plan and I do have a block and tackle as a multiplier. Probably have to reset a few times as it doesn't have a lot of travel.

posted Hide Post
Hey, hold my beer and watch this!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Hey, hold my beer and watch this!

I plan to shoot a video. Perhaps the YouTube profits will help offset my hospital bills... Eek Razz