SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carpenters, handymen, homeowners...opinion on basement stairs please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpenters, handymen, homeowners...opinion on basement stairs please Login/Join 
posted
We are getting rid of the carpet in our finished basement and going to WPC (vinyl plank). Taking that material up the stairs is an option, but requires extra edge caps that are glued on. The seams concern me a bit.

Other options include adding an oak tread/riser over the existing stairs and finishing to match the woodwork. Durability problems??

I also saw a product called Cap a Tread that is a one piece molded vinyl cap that covers the existing tread and nose profile.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Fl...Sv-dwCFUnewAodaVUGGg

Any opinions on what holds up?

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I would go with the oak. I don't like taking plank flooring up stairs, particularly due to the need for nosing on every step. Almost all nosing choices are slippery, and a simple oak tread is better all around.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27018 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I posted this a few months ago when someone else here was looking to do something similar. I re-did my stairs, railings, balusters, etc... about 8 or 9 years ago. I went with pre-made oak treads and used 1/4" oak laminate plywood for the risers. I left the old risers in place and brad nailed the plywood to the existing pine risers. I installed 3/4" oak for the landing as well. The rest of my main floor is also 3/4" red oak. The original stairs were carpet covered pine.

The only mistake I made was staining the oak treads before I installed them. Stain them after they are installed so you can fill the nail holes. Also, I would glue the treads. I only nailed them and they now squeak. Mad

Most folks paint the risers white, but I like the look of stained wood better.

As long as you polyurethane everything you shouldn't have durability problems.

Posts: 5767 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Goat,

How old is your house? I guarantee all those risers are from the same tree. Just an observation.

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the oak.

I'd be afraid the vinyl would be too slippery. I may be wrong about that, it's based on my limited experience with vinyl plank floors from several years ago.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm.... The old carpet has been off for a day and I see a potential problem.

My dog (13 year old Brittany) has almost wiped out a couple of times on the bare treads. Obviously, finished oak or vinyl would be even more slippery. Might have to go with carpet again and plan on replacing every few years or changing to wood when she's gone. I'd feel terrible if she spent the last years of her life in pain over stupid stairs.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
1967Goat, that was me...

Anyway, OAK...oak.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9697 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Other options include adding an oak tread/riser over the existing stairs and finishing to match the woodwork. Durability problems??

I would prefer the oak, too. But I would also take out the existing treads first, rather than simply nail a new tread on top of the old one. Nailing the new on top of the old will give you a short step at the top.

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a house that was built in 1932 & a lot of the woodwork is original. 99% sure the staircase is. Would be a shame to cover it all up, but we have dogs too, and my husband has fallen down them. I found these clear, sticky, tread, safety strips about 6 inches wide to put toward the edge of each step. They've been on about 3 yrs. now & look & work great. I imagine if we wanted to remove them, we'd have to use some adhesive remover after we peel them off, but I think it'd be doable.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
We have a house that was built in 1932 & a lot of the woodwork is original. 99% sure the staircase is. Would be a shame to cover it all up, but we have dogs too, and my husband has fallen down them. I found these clear, sticky, tread, safety strips about 6 inches wide to put toward the edge of each step. They've been on about 3 yrs. now & look & work great. I imagine if we wanted to remove them, we'd have to use some adhesive remover after we peel them off, but I think it'd be doable.

3M makes this self adhesive clear non skid material in several different widths and can buy it by the roll. It does work exceptionally well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post