SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle owners: A warning about separate auto and motorcycle insurance policies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle owners: A warning about separate auto and motorcycle insurance policies Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
This post is for people of have their auto insured with one company, and their motorcycle insured with another company.

I’ve been an adjuster for almost 30 years and I am seeing a disturbing trend.

Progressive is America’s largest motorcycle insurer. There is even a multitude of insurers that refer motorcycle business to Progressive because that referring insurer doesn’t write motorcycle insurance. So, many people have auto insurance with one company and Progressive Insurance for their motorcycle. There are other motorcycle insurers, too.

If you crash a motorcycle, more often than not, it doesn’t cause a whole lot of damage or injury to other people. Yes, I know there are some exceptions, but this is mostly true. The real risk for the motorcycle operator is injury to himself.

These motorcycle insurers sell motorcycle policies with the usual coverages: property damage and bodily injury liability, and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, among others. The liability coverage protects other people in case the rider is at fault. But uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage protects the rider in case he is injured by an uninsured or inadequately insured driver. Liability coverage is the principal cost of an insurance policy. Uninsured and underinsured coverage costs the customer very little. It’s a very cheap coverage.

What I am seeing more and more is that these motorcycle insurers are selling respectable liability coverage to the motorcycle owner, but telling that owner they can save a lot of money if they waive or accept a much reduced uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. They are telling them that they can save money buying less uninsured coverage, and that they can rely on their auto insurer to cover them for uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

I am seeing claims where a motorcyclist is severely injured and had a pittance of uninsured and underinsured coverage. In many, if not most, states, an auto policy has an exclusion that says that it doesn’t provide uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage to an insured for a vehicle he owns but doesn’t insure for that coverage under the auto policy. In other words, the injured person has completely inadequate uninsured coverage with his motorcycle insurer, and can’t make a claim under their auto policy for that coverage.

Here’s my warning: if you buy motorcycle insurance from a company separate from the one that insures your cars, DO NOT let that company talk you into reduced uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you are hurt by another driver, you will need that coverage. And more often than not, your auto insurer won’t be able to help you.

It seems to me these motorcycle insurers are collecting premiums for liability coverages that rarely get used to any big extent, but are talking people out of a cheap coverage that they will need if they are injured, and which could cost the insurer a lot. It’s being done for the benefit of the company and shareholders, and at the expense of the person who bought the insurance.

If you have a separate motorcycle policy apart from your auto policy, check it and make sure your liability and uninsured motorist coverage limits match. If not, raise the uninsured motorist coverage limit.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will check on my policy with Progressive. I am paying far less with Progressive than any other provider, and yet do need to be careful with coverage limits.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Good to know, but I have EVERYTHING through one insurer: Home, Auto, M/C.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Thank you. I will check on my policy with Progressive. I am paying far less with Progressive than any other provider, and yet do need to be careful with coverage limits.

Check to make sure your Bodily Injury (BI) Liability coverage and your Uninsured and Underinsured (UM/UIM) Motorist Bodily Injury coverage are the same amounts. If you have less UM/UIM than BI, raise your UM/UIM. You can even check into having more UM/UIM than BI coverage.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

That's good. But make sure your car and motorcycle are on the SAME policy. If they're on different policies (this scenerio is rare since a single insurer would likely put them on the same policy), then check your coverages.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s my warning: if you buy motorcycle insurance from a company separate from the one that insures your cars, DO NOT let that company talk you into reduced uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Let me add that even if you buy auto and motorcycle insurance from the same firm, don't let them talk you into reduced uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

My agent, who I've been with so long he retired and his daughter now runs the brokerage, convinced me of the wisdom of never buying the state mandated minimum insurance. That is doubly true today with the idiotic masses driving leased cars they can't afford to buy outright. Nail a modern pickup and you could be looking at a claim 3x your state mandated minimum coverage.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This truly has nothing to do with the provider. You need to buy adequate coverage. period.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend get hit on his bike. At fault driver simply didn’t see him, but only had 250k of coverage. Friend had uninsured/underinsured coverage, but only 500k. It doesn’t add though, his total coverage was only 500k. A life flight, couple months in the hospital, above the knee amputation, a bionic leg and 6months of therapy later... he had over 1MM in costs and almost had to file bankruptcy. I now have 2MM in coverage.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I just learned that my very expensive motorcycle insurance is only going to pay for $10k of my medical bills. Road damage apparently, is considered an at-fault accident, and thus...all my $500K coverage don't cover my own medical costs.

The whole experience has been rather underwhelming, having maxed out all available coverage thinking I'd be covered for an accident.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

That's good. But make sure your car and motorcycle are on the SAME policy. If they're on different policies (this scenerio is rare since a single insurer would likely put them on the same policy), then check your coverages.

There are not a lot of options when it comes to motorcycle coverage. In my state, there are two options. Geico or Progressive. Progressive wouldn't cover my daughter while she is learning on a permit...so we switched to Geico. It's been not so great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
All of my motorcycles re through Progressive and I have uninsured coverage. My policy is solid because I use a broker for all my insurance coverage. House and autos are with one carrier, all of my bikes another. My broker makes sure all my policies are drum tight. My progressive policy, I have additional coverage to cover my aftermarket parts because the parts are worth more than the bike itself.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We have everything insured through one insurer. But Michigan is kind of unique here as autos, trucks and three wheeled motorcycles are insured under No-Fault while two wheels are not under No-Fault insurance.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupid question-will my medical insurance cover costs of injuries sustained while riding a motorcycle? Do I also need personal injury for myself on my bike policy?

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Stupid question-will my medical insurance cover costs of injuries sustained while riding a motorcycle? Do I also need personal injury for myself on my bike policy?

A rider's health insurance (ie Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, Cigna, etc) will pay a riders medical bills arising from an accident. Medical Payments Coverage, Medical Expense Benefits Coverage, Personal Injury Protection, etc are medical coverage a rider can buy with his motorcycle policy. These also pay medical bills arising from a covered accident. When you have one of these coverages on your motorcycle or auto policy, that coverage is primary to your health insurance. In other words, your health insurance will usually want you to use them first before they start paying bills.

The more coverage the better.

I brought this up because I am having to give bad news more and more often that the motorcycle policy they bought was completely inadequate and that their auto policy either can't help or can't help enough.

If you have a motorcycle policy, buy as much UNINSURED AND UNDERINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE (UM and UIM) as you can afford. Its a cheap coverage. Never let a motorcycle insurer talk you into less UM and UIM coverage "to save money because your auto policy can cover you for this."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
This post is for people of have their auto insured with one company, and their motorcycle insured with another company.

I’ve been an adjuster for almost 30 years and I am seeing a disturbing trend.

Progressive is America’s largest motorcycle insurer. There is even a multitude of insurers that refer motorcycle business to Progressive because that referring insurer doesn’t write motorcycle insurance. So, many people have auto insurance with one company and Progressive Insurance for their motorcycle. There are other motorcycle insurers, too.

If you crash a motorcycle, more often than not, it doesn’t cause a whole lot of damage or injury to other people. Yes, I know there are some exceptions, but this is mostly true. The real risk for the motorcycle operator is injury to himself.

These motorcycle insurers sell motorcycle policies with the usual coverages: property damage and bodily injury liability, and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, among others. The liability coverage protects other people in case the rider is at fault. But uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage protects the rider in case he is injured by an uninsured or inadequately insured driver. Liability coverage is the principal cost of an insurance policy. Uninsured and underinsured coverage costs the customer very little. It’s a very cheap coverage.

What I am seeing more and more is that these motorcycle insurers are selling respectable liability coverage to the motorcycle owner, but telling that owner they can save a lot of money if they waive or accept a much reduced uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. They are telling them that they can save money buying less uninsured coverage, and that they can rely on their auto insurer to cover them for uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

I am seeing claims where a motorcyclist is severely injured and had a pittance of uninsured and underinsured coverage. In many, if not most, states, an auto policy has an exclusion that says that it doesn’t provide uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage to an insured for a vehicle he owns but doesn’t insure for that coverage under the auto policy. In other words, the injured person has completely inadequate uninsured coverage with his motorcycle insurer, and can’t make a claim under their auto policy for that coverage.

Here’s my warning: if you buy motorcycle insurance from a company separate from the one that insures your cars, DO NOT let that company talk you into reduced uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you are hurt by another driver, you will need that coverage. And more often than not, your auto insurer won’t be able to help you.

It seems to me these motorcycle insurers are collecting premiums for liability coverages that rarely get used to any big extent, but are talking people out of a cheap coverage that they will need if they are injured, and which could cost the insurer a lot. It’s being done for the benefit of the company and shareholders, and at the expense of the person who bought the insurance.

If you have a separate motorcycle policy apart from your auto policy, check it and make sure your liability and uninsured motorist coverage limits match. If not, raise the uninsured motorist coverage limit.

Virginia is one of the few states that actually requires UMPD/UMBI coverage. It's also one of the few that allows you to use it for phantom vehicles.

I've seen plenty of policies from other states with no coverage.

I think a far more beneficial PSA would be educating people that live in states with 5-15k PD limits. If you live in an area with high end vehicles and you have 10k in PD limits, you are asking for lots of financial trouble.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post