SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Refridgerator help needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refridgerator help needed Login/Join 
posted
Good evening all. I was hoping ApplianceBrad or one of the other Sig brain trust could help me out. I have a fridge that's less than 4 years old. It's an LG Lfxs30766s /00. For the last week or 2, I've noticed the drinks haven't been too cold. Today, it started smelling like rotting food & I noticed the ice maker was empty and no longer making ice. (Yes, I checked to make sure it was on) I have the freezer set to -1*F and its reading 26*F on my digital thermometer. The Refridgerator is set to 36 and reading 59. I assume the high reading of the refrige triggered a switch for the indoor ice maker to shut off since it's above a certain degree. Any input would be appreciated! We got it at costco, so if it's an expensive fix, I hope they take it back. If not, guesstimate on what's wrong & approx cost to have an appliance repairman fix? (The warranty card was never filled out or registered) Thanks in advance!

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a similar model. LFXS32766S/00 A little over a year ago we had very similar issues to what you are.
We purchased ours from NFM and their extended warrantys are very cheap. In fact they're the only place I have ever purchased them.

Back on track. First it was slow to make ice. Then ice cream was nearly liquid. Then fridge got a little warm.

Service company was great. Refrigerant was low. So they knew it was a leak and replaced the drier with a drier unit with UV dye and recharged the system. Said it will fail again. Call us when it does and we'll know what failed. Turns out that both the compressor and main PCB (control board) had to be replaced.
I can't help you on what it might cost to repair, my invoices don't have any costs. I can't imagine it would be cheap.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have a similar model about the same age that did the same thing last year. Mine turned out to be the internal fan that blows air around the unit (not sure of name?). I replaced it myself for less than $100 as I can be pretty handy, and its worked fine ever since.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice so far! Hoping to find the receipt and go by Costco this weekend to see if I can return it. That's the thing I love most about Costco - is they are fantastic about taking stuff back. Just unsure about an appliance, especially since I didn't do the registration. But, we just had a new home built - and at the time, I had bought 2- 75" tv's, washer/dryer & this fridge all at Costco. I had way too much going on to worry about registering all them. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the rear!

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Seriously, you're considering a return of a 4 year old refrigerator out of warranty vs paying for repairs?

Costco return policy is 90 days on appliances,

https://customerservice.costco...ers/detail/a_id/1191

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
onsidering a return of a 4 year old refrigerator out of warranty vs paying for repairs?

Sure am. Went by Costco last weekend. Talked to customer service. They looked it up (even without my receipt) and said it IS still returnable. Just bring it back, the lady said. I saw their appliances have a 2 year return policy (to costco) and if you put it on your Costco credit card they give you 2 more for free. So by buying it at Costco with my Costco credit card, I have 4 years of FREE return coverage. THAT is why I LOVE Costco and spend so much money there!