SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The English Word That Hasn’t Changed in Sound or Meaning in 8,000 Years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The English Word That Hasn’t Changed in Sound or Meaning in 8,000 Years Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
BTW, that graphic is one I use in my classes every year!

Very interesting graphic!

Looked for Latin, but these old eyes couldn't pick it out. Did I miss it, or is it maybe implied in one of the branch names?

Implied in the Romance branch.

I would definitely not call it the "Romance" branch, because Romance is obviously derived from Roman, implying that Latin is the only or preeminent language on that branch, which it is not.

More properly, that branch should be "Celto-Italic".

Also, it's tragic that the long-extinct Anatolian branch isn't represented on the tree. RIP Luwian.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm pretty certain that Yiddish gets Lox from the German Lachs pronounced "lox", the word for Salmon in that language. It's a coincidence that the original word was Lox

I suspect the word went intermittently extinct in Middle/High English, but was preserved in the branch of Germanic languages which include German and Yiddish, and re-imported through Jewish immigration to the US in particular.

I use this opportunity to re-post this great conversation in old Norse/English dialects.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post