SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does imessage work internationally?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does imessage work internationally? Login/Join 
posted
Next week the family is going on vacation to Mexico. Will we be able to contact each other using imessages while at the resort? We all have different phone carriers and I'm not sure if we will have access to Wi-fi at all times. Would there be any data/messaging fees?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
https://allthings.how/does-ime...ork-internationally/

https://mashtips.com/imessage-free-not/

"Even though the iPhone message to send from an iOS device is free, your mobile provider may charge you for data if you are using iMessage with mobile data instead of WiFi. iMessage is a free service from Apple to communicate between Apple devices for free on WiFi."

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
it depends on their phone plans.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
iMessage will work fine even without phone service if you're on WiFi. I've used this feature many times overseas. You can also make a facetime call with wifi if you have no service. If the internet is slow you can do facetime without video to talk to others with an iPhone.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked with my carrier Tmobile. My plan includes free unlimited calling/texts and 5GB of data. No too shabby.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, iMessage works over the internet.

We used it while in Ireland on our honeymoon.

I called AT&T and had them put us on a temp international plan for data for the time we were there, I forget what size data bucket it was, but it wasn’t a whole lot so we tried to use Wi-Fi as much as possible. That was 2012 so things may be different now.

It was kind of cool/weird to get off of the plane and turn my phone on in Dublin airport and see “O2” come up where “ATT” would on the screen.

Posts: 33772 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure Mexico is included with Verizon domestic plans. I always add the int'l. plan when going elsewhere, but never had to for Mexico. Ironically, when driving on I-8 past Yuma, even though I'm several hundred meters north of the border, I often get a text that int'l. data roaming charges now apply. But I don't think I've gotten that when I've gotten off a plane in Mexico.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our son and daughter-in-law are stationed in S. Korea. We iMessage and FaceTime with them often.

Oldest daughter spent a summer in Belgium and another in Austria last decade. We communicated via iMessage and FaceTime.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Additionally, you can use an app like Signal to send messages to people who don’t use an Apple device, not parties (or every party desired on a group chat) will need the app. As a bonus it is encrypted and Signal, currently at least, takes privacy seriously.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I would suggest going to your carrier's website and look up international calling and data plans. Mexico usually has a lower cost package for you to use compared to other foreign countries where you have a set amount of data plan.

One caution though if you buy an international data plan, some countries your data meter keeping going even if you're not using it. So prevent this, you have to put your phone in airplane mode.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
From my understanding the only limitation is if you're in an authoritarian country (e.g. Iran). Those countries put the kibosh on end to end encryption like iMessage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
It even worked from Afghanistan on the local POS wi-fi. Maybe not so much anymore, though.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post