SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 Lobe Screws - Problem solved. They are 8 Lobe Screws...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Lobe Screws - Problem solved. They are 8 Lobe Screws... Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I am working on restoring a 20 year old RV trailer. It has two sizes of 6 lobe screws on it. I have three sets of Torx bits. None of them fit properly.

Is there a different/older 6 lobe standard than the current Torx standards? I've done some googling on this, and everything says that "star bits" and Torx are the same.

I assume it's possible that these screws are size that is rarely used, such that while I have bits that are too large, and too small none of my sets covers these sizes, but I'm thinking that probably isn't the case.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You're in FLA, there are 17 billion RV shops, check them out. There has to be a mechanic that will have a spare to loan/sell.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Maybe here? https://www.mcmaster.com/phill...or-drive-style~torx/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might have a Torx Plus fastener…

More info on Torx types here: https://www.wihatools.com/torxplus-benefits

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am an idiot, and can't count. I took another look with my glasses on, and it turns out that they are 8 point stars, not 6. Who knew? This means a square bit will remove them.

I should probably have dinner now, and go to bed early. Clearly, my brain isn't working.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

I am an idiot, and can't count. I took another look with my glasses on, and it turns out that they are 8 point stars, not 6. Who knew? This means a square bit will remove them.
In that case, look here for "double square" bits: https://www.mcmaster.com/screw...style~double-square/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I was just about to recommend Hexlobular bits if they were six pointers.

Double squares (they also make triple squares) aren't difficult bits to shop for. Good luck with your RV.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
You're in FLA, there are 17 billion RV shops, check them out. There has to be a mechanic that will have a spare to loan/sell.

Nope.

First rule of tools is they are not loaned, ever. Because, they never come back. The classic case of loaning your jumper cables or a floor jack comes to mind.

Second is since you paid money for it, and you have it, you don't need spares and dont keep any. Except, 10mm sockets. Those you accumulate - from guys who loan them to you because you loaned yours.

OP, when you have a weird fastener and need a driver - take a picture, and show it to the guys at an auto parts store or include it online. You will get a much faster and accurate answer by folks who see a lot of them.

BTW, did yall know there is an "E" torx? It's a reversed head, which looks like the driver? Needs a reversed "E torx" socket. A lot of these innovations/aggravations are sold for faster assembly line use - which is where that dang Phillips came from.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Second is since you paid money for it, and you have it, you don't need spares and dont keep any. Except, 10mm sockets. Those you accumulate - from guys who loan them to you because you loaned yours.

It’s my opinion that 10mm sockets, and wrenchs, should be sold by weight.

“Gimme 6 pounds of 10mm sockets in 3/8ths Drive, 3 pounds of 1/4, 4 pounds 1/2, and 5 pounds of 10mm wrenches please”.

“And while you’re at it, sign me up for the automatic monthly shipments.”

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
8 Lobe Screws

Wikipedia - List of Screw Drives The number and types of these are mind-boggling. The drive you describe may be a "double-square."

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^That's exactly what they are. Either 8 point bits or 4 point bits will work with them.

I think the theory behind them is that it's easier to engage a 4 point head in an 8 point socket than it is in a 4 point socket.