SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old Soviet Chain Saw restoration
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Soviet Chain Saw restoration Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
This is in Russian (text no voice over) so if someone reads Russian and can translate some of the products he is using that would be cool.

I translated one, Sodium Hydroxide with my phone when text on a bottle was highlighted. He sure seems to love using a battery to charge parts in a chemical bath. I have no idea why he used a battery connected to a AA battery and a chemical to clean the bar, but you can hear his respirator so it must be nasty.

Nice work in the end but man what an odd looking /working saw.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Man that is a funky looking saw.

He is using the caustic soda and battery to perform rust removal through electrolysis. That Russian needs evaporust in his life.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Same as fixing an AK, “I hit rifle with shovel, it works fine now”.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
It looks like he's done a few of these before. Someone should teach him how to properly pack a bearing though. It doesn't look like it cuts very well.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
He’s a fast worker

Posts: 26952 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I've seen some odd and heavy chainsaws in my time but that one takes the cake. Very odd chainsaw and chain. For a $199 bucks you could get a 30cc Echo chain saw that would cut that wood at least 3 times faster and would be 3 times lighter.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
chain was cleaned using drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) in a electrolysis solution, followed by a dip in vinegar/water, and then neutralized with baking soda/water

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If Bernie made chainsaws.....

This is a good reminder of what Soviet technology looked like.
I wonder what years these were made? The spark plug looks like the stuff we had in the earlier part of the last century. I suspect later. The bearing in the nose of the bar was something the company my dad worked for developed in the 60's. Earlier models here just slid around the front and had a lot more friction.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice work in the end but man what an odd looking /working saw.

I had two conflicting thoughts:
1. Nice work. Impressive restoration.
2. Why?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
It looks like he's done a few of these before. Someone should teach him how to properly pack a bearing though. It doesn't look like it cuts very well.

What a terrible, clumsy tool. Throwing chips into the work doesn't seem optimum. The chain's way too loose but adjustment won't change much on this POS saw.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I think that bit with the AA battery ("salt battery with zinc case") and the bar was an electro-plating operation rather than cleaning. Depositing a thin layer of zinc on the bar to decrease future rusting.

Takes me back to the times I regularly rebuilt small engines using whatever tools I had on hand. My life changed when I got a bench press and no longer had to worry about brinelling the bearings.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If you really like to watch restoration vids, search My Mechanics in Youtube. The guy is phenomenal and seems to have every tool known to man in his shop. Probably has tools that fix tools...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I clicked on this to see what a "Soviet chain saw" looked like.

I was not disappointed. Smile

(I also really really want one)

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I think that bit with the AA battery ("salt battery with zinc case") and the bar was an electro-plating operation rather than cleaning. Depositing a thin layer of zinc on the bar to decrease future rusting.

This right here. It was a DIY cheap zinc electroplating.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
In Soviet Union, chainsaw fixes you!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
re: that crack at 3:44 & 3:54: "It's dead Jim"; somehow I missed the repair/replacement but I ain't going back.

what a complicated bit of design! What an antique chain design!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Another Youtuber that does this kind of thing is TysyTube Restoration. I went down this rabbit hole a couple of months ago.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
First Paleolithic chainsaw I’ve ever seen. Sure is complex. If it was designed by a committee, they must have used at least one idea from everyone. Da!

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's messed up is I can't tell if this thing is from the '30's or the '80's! Both?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
What's messed up is I can't tell if this thing is from the '30's or the '80's! Both?

Designed in the post war years, built until the collapse of the USSR would be my guess.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post