SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weapon Lights and Lasers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weapon Lights and Lasers Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Not sure where to post this so will start here, and if the mods choose to move it, then so be it...

Many (most?) of you have enough disposable income to afford better, but for those of us who cannot, here is a cheaper option...

Weapon lights and lasers are something you can spend a fortune on, or you can go cheap if needed. Since my monthly income is barely over $1,500.00, cheap is how I must go!

For my AR-15, I recently added a weapon light, and I ended up choosing a Feyachi light off of Amazon. It included a 2-function pressure switch, two Li-Ion batteries, charger, and nice aluminum mount for less than $50.00 ($29.99 + free shipping).

Based upon that purchase, I just bought a combination light/laser of the same brand to put on my P-226, and again, batteries and tools were included... for under $50.00 ($43.99 + free shipping). So far, I am impressed!

So, if you’re on a very tight budget like myself, please look at the Feyachi brand on Amazon for an affordable alternative. Cheers!

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I'm not knocking your post, but take it out and shoot the hell out of it and see how it holds up. I'm always leary of off brand lights for anything but a cheap flashlight in the shop.

Also, so you aren't scraping fouling off, wrap the pistol light for easy clean up.

If it doesn't hold up, nd on a budget, always check around for a used streamlight. Might not get the latest and brightest, but can end up with something solid on the cheap. I know I've seen tlr1's that are a gen or two behind go for 50 regularly.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
ETA: Sounds like I'm knocking your purchase BB, I'm not at all, hope the light serves you well!

I agree, I buy used Surefire X300's. As they are bright enough for me and at one time bright enough for everyone.

When all the new models came out I was happy so I never upgraded. I've since picked up several. All but 1 was under $100.

Perhaps not within all budgets but when good quality Surefire's can be had for a hundred or less. Everything else is just gonna be cheaper.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your light. If it does not last, look at the low end Streamlights. They can often be had on sale and should fit into your budget.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link to your feyachi light plz.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54713 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Per "bendable's" request, the Amazon link to both lights...

Combo light and laser just received yesterday and now mounted on my P226R: Feyachi LF-38

Light purchased a few weeks ago and mounted on my AR-15: Feyachi FL11-MB

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Please let us know how they hold up.

I'm all for bargains in some facets of life, but when it comes to equipment that you may be relying on to save your life, or that are going to see serious/hard use, I subscribe to the mindset that paying for quality from a known and proven manufacturer is the best option instead of hunting around for a cheap peace of kit.

Used Streamlight weaponlights can be had for under $100.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks , there are some y.t.vids on both of them.

The pistol light may be adequate for my apt.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54713 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
While I certainly do appreciate everyone's opinions about "cheap" lights, here is my philosophy on the issue.

A) I am in neither law enforcement or the military, and the chances of either light being used inside my home is very, very slim (both for clearing the house and actual shots fired). If both lights tolerate my occasional range use, and manage to function properly through one full mag in an actual home-defense situation, then they will have paid for themselves. Frequent use simply will not be an issue.

B) If one or both lights fail due to recoil from range sessions, then I will have learned my lesson without too great an expenditure.

C) In over 50 years of shooting, this is the first time I've put lights on any weapon, so I consider this a "trial period" to see if I like using them, and will be able to quickly adapt to using them properly under pressure, both simulated and actual (hopefully never required).

D) If I like them, I can always save up and buy something from Streamlight, and with experience already gained, will hopefully choose the perfect light for my own needs on the first try.

Anyway, that's my position on it. If money were less an issue, I would have gone straight to Streamlight to begin with. This way I can experiment a bit without the heavy expenditure! Cheers! Big Grin

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I think you've got the right mindset. Cheap light better than no light. You can't help your circumstances, so you work with what you got.

My first surefire flashlight had less than 100 lumens and needed a spring to isolate the lamp from recoil. I'm pretty certain that these new fangled LEDs are pretty durable, when all said and done.

I wonder if a few extra bucks for some electronics grade epoxy potting resin and potting the electronics in the lights would improve durability.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
<<snip>>

I wonder if a few extra bucks for some electronics grade epoxy potting resin and potting the electronics in the lights would improve durability.

Not a bad idea, and something that I may look into!

posted Hide Post
Good outlook and very pragmatic.

My pistols and rifles have eaten just about most of the popular WML styles out there, lots of disappointment and a handful of frustrations, especially when you look at the amount of money spent. The violent impulse of recoil wrecks havoc on electronic components....I've settled on Surefire and Streamlight. Both are common designs that have a multitude of holster options compatibility, something to consider.

I recently ditched an Inforce APLc for my Glock, after 1000rds, its internals can't figure out which switch for on and intermittent. Sent it back a few times, got into a email thread with the CS rep....I've moved on; a Streamlight TLR-7A lives there now. Inforce has a real nice design, slim and concealable but, they need to reinforce or, get some robust insides. Hope they can figure it out.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they have one in green? I like Amazons reviews. You get real world opinions. Most of the reviews were positive.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
I like Amazons reviews. You get real world opinions.

... Not always.

Amazon is notoriously full of fake reviews for products. Some/many of the reviews you read on Amazon, especially on certain types of items, are not actually "real world opinions". They're either partially or fully fake/influenced, in order to boost a product's rating.

Manufacturers will commonly pay for positive reviews, either paying people to flood their products with completely fake positive reviews (more common before Amazon instituted the "verified purchase" system), or giving purchasers a partial or full refund or another free item in exchange for a positive review.

Some companies even go so far as to set up "review farm" networks of contractors. They send money to contractors who place an order for the item through Amazon. The company then supposedly ships hundreds or thousands of the item out to these "customers" (contractors), but in actuality they're shipping something tiny and cheap like a screw or a letter. But it is backed up by package tracking and an Amazon order, so now it's in the Amazon system as a "verified purchase" even though the actual product was not delivered or used. Then they have these contractors post hundreds/thousands of "verified purchaser" positive reviews on that product, based on the hundreds/thousands of fake delivered "orders". Despite being all "verified purchases", they're still 100% fake, since none of the orders were real, and these contractors never actually received or used the product for which they're posting a review.

These review farms are typically seen on items that ship directly from the manufacturers, since that scam isn't doable when the item ships from an Amazon warehouse. But companies can start out shipping items on their own, build up a fake review base, and then transition to selling actual items shipped through Amazon to still benefit from these kind of fake reviews. And the earlier type of fake reviews, especially the "we'll give you a free/discounted item if you leave us a positive review" kind of quid-pro-quo fake positive review, still apply to items shipped through Amazon.

Companies will use these type of schemes to get a quick huge boost to their rating and a seemingly solid review base to sway future purchasers. It's especially prevalent on cheap Chinese products.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder if they have one in green? I like Amazons reviews. You get real world opinions. Most of the reviews were positive.

Yikes...gotta be the smarter consumer, user generated content is a double-edged sword. While its fun to see everyone gushing about a product, especially a good one, it's also very easy (and profitable) to artificially pump-up an item/location in order to game the ranking algorithm. This is not uncommon amongst the tourism sector where hotel and restaurant reviews are notorious for misleading rankings due to a large batch of positive reviews which in-fact have been created by the establishment.

User reviews are a tool, I find it best to look at the negative feedback, and then find any consistency amongst them.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have wondered about the Viridian Green laser for use on an AR?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I like Amazons reviews. You get real world opinions.

... Not always.

Amazon is notoriously full of fake reviews for products.

Yes it is... I run most Amazon items through this when considering a purchase. Just copy and past the items page address. You get an assessment of the reviews for the item as well as for the seller over all. May not be perfect but it can be a useful tool.

https://www.fakespot.com

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post