SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of buying a franchise for extra income...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying a franchise for extra income... Login/Join 
posted
Anyone here have any experience with franchising? Any insights you can share? Pros and cons?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glock 19
HK P2000sk
Sig P226
Spikes AR15 Middy
CA94 MP5 clone

Posts: 683 | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Girl I work with is part owner of a 7/11 (her, a brother, and two cousins).

The cousins work there to ensure the store is run to the owners' expectations.

A hunting buddy owns three Sonics - same thing for him, he works at each of them for the same reason (until he knows the manager(s) will/can do it).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Franchises are not inexpensive to acquire and they typically requires suitable cash reserve in addition to the franchise purchased. Go carefully with due diligence.

Good luck,
RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
You could open a place that sells mlikshakes. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The only one I could think that would work is a Chick Fil A.

They can't be cheap to get one though.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
From the little I've read about franchises, it's gonna be more like a full time job with OT and not just for extra income on the side. Here are some comments on the same subject from a financial forum I frequent: https://www.bogleheads.org/for...ewtopic.php?t=187313

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

You have to be very well vetted, Christian and the kind of person mgmt would trust w their kids. No joke. Plus you generally can only have one store. A few lucky/successful people get 2. You'd better love working.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Careers/Franchise

Not 100% sure if there's more to it, but it's $10k, for the franchise fee.

Probably, actually one of the cheapest.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

How much do you think it costs to build one of the buildings they are housed in?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

How much do you think it costs to build one of the buildings they are housed in?

For the building and all of the equipment, I would guess $300-400k not including the land.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I talked to a franchise owner the other day. He started with a small rinky dink mall location nearby and graduated to a large stand alone. He came up in the Atlanta area working as a manager, and he said the corporate types love to recruit in house for new franchises. He also said that all franchise owners work 6 days a week for 10-12 hours a day. And there are NO foreign owners, period.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the building and all of the equipment, I would guess $300-400k not including the land.

I'm working on opening a restaurant. I could spend that much in a 2,500 square foot strip center.

I bet those free standing, drive through franchises are pushing $1 million. The $300 to $400K would probably be realistic for one of the smaller non-free standing units.

Corporate does front the money, but that comes at a cost. 15% of sales plus 50% of profit for rent.

The last company my girlfriend worked for was building free standing, 150 seat, fast casual restaurants at $2 million a copy.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Figure a million plus liquid, or more, the 10k is just their fee off the top
A good friend of mine has 4 subways, he is selling them
Tired of the hours, even paying 40k or so for a store manager doesn't get you a reliable employee apparently

quote:
quote:

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2935 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in college I worked for dominos pizza as a driver (best job ever btw) it was the only pizza place in the small town and had been for over 10 years.

The owner was in there daily and actually working as much as any employee, not just sitting on the computer in the office, he was actually making pizzas and doing dishes etc.

But then again, when I was in highschool I worked at a mccdonalds and the owner had the biggest house in town and drove a Porsche, his 2 sons my age had 2 cars each (a truck and some sort of sports car) and didn't work at th McDonald's.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's used to be $5k
quote:
Chick-fil-A has a distinct franchise business model. The franchise fee to join Chick-fil-A is a very accessible $5,000. Chick-fil-A corporation will pay for land, construction and equipment for a restaurant, then rent it to the franchisee for 15% of sales plus 50% of pretax profit remaining.

Not sure how much of that is still accurate.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

A single, franchised, fast food restaurant location cost my family a cool million to open, and that was more than 20years ago. I find it hard to believe that a Chick Fil A is cheaper, especially nowadays. Maybe, but I doubt it.

(grew up in a franchised, multi location, restaurant family)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Some years back I looked into opening a Dunkin' Donuts. At the time, the cost was $400K up front with a certain amount of money in reserve (can't remember the amount but it was substantial). That pretty much killed my idea at the time. Additionally, they had requirements on local population, traffic flow in the area, etc.... It was a pretty big deal and much more than simply cutting a check and putting up a DD sign.

Now that I'm much more financially stable, I've been entertaining it again. Only problem is DD doesn't have any franchises in this part of the country and getting the deliveries might be an issue. It would still fund my retirement easily, so I may start looking at it seriously.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
My ex boss has 2 franchise auto repair shops (Christian brothers automotive) he is the only franchisee to have 2 locations and he was also the first franchisee. I wont get into the hypocrisy of it being a "Christian " based franchise. When i left there his wife was working getting a chicfila franchise. Extreme vetting of personal life, religion, marriage situation and the franchisee has to work in a store for 6 months to a year and perform the duties of all positions before being chosen for a franchise. If they finance your store when the payment contract is up there is still an appraisal and buyout value assessed. Christian brothers is run the same way. They get you hard for the first 10-15 years. It took my ex boss 12 years to finally payoff then purchase the building of his first store. By then all the lifts, the floor and equipment needed replacing or repairs in a bad way. Also, anything that broke while he was still paying off CB he was responsible for repairs or replacing, for equipment and property he did not even own. If the store was less than successful or profitable (while under contract) CB could revoke his franchise and award it to someone else.

I know they aren't all this bad but even he regrets going the franchise route.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Steak and BJ'1 You could open the first one Razz

Based on the response's in the running thread I bet business would be brisk. Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19705 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My only words of advice: Stick with something you know.

You know tools? Distribute tools. Violins? Student rentals to high schools. Buying a company that cleans grease traps, well, you may be better off building that one from the ground up.

I like the idea of a power wash company. Me and my truck, and maintenance contracts. Do some graffiti removal and cover-up as well.

A real estate developer acquired a property across the street from his condo/office building. It was only a mid-street row, maybe 16' wide at the most. Small kitchen, long bar, bathrooms in the basement. We renovated with mild regard for cost, and came out with a cool space. The tab was $200,000, just for the renovation, using flagstone floors and concrete bar. That was in the late '90s.

A successful bar/restaurant owner once told me, as he stood out of the traffic pattern watching the kitchen, the bar, and the tables, all at once, he said he made 50¢ a customer on a lunch, after everyone/everything is paid. So he made $75 for staying open for lunch. He also did extensive catering and had a rollicking college crowd. This also was in the late '90s.

The son has it now. I've been doing service work for that family for 23 years.

Sometimes the money is in picks, shovels, and sheets. Not the actual panning.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post